News Bulldogs sink to new depths against the might of Melbourne

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's quite incredible (is that the right word) how much bad luck we have. When you're down, you stay down.

Anything that can go wrong against us does and anything that can go right for our opposition does also :(

When you have a slow steady crumbling down of fortunes, players and standards: it will take a slow steady rebuilding of all those things to get us back up.
Yep the last few weeks has been rough . Even last week with that disallowed try against Parra . I have literally never seen a ref make an obstruction call on a try without going to the video ref .

I guess on the other side of things though good sides make their own luck . The storm don’t throw horrible passes like we did yesterday and they also have the speed to capitalise on mistakes . We don’t

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep the last few weeks has been rough . Even last week with that disallowed try against Parra . I have literally never seen a ref make an obstruction call on a try without going to the video ref .

I guess on the other side of things though good sides make their own luck . The storm don’t throw horrible passes like we did yesterday and they also have the speed to capitalise on mistakes . We don’t
Agree. We are terrible and dont make ourselves any "luck" at all.

Not using that as an excuse. Sick of excuses. We've been in crisis and excuses mode since half way through Hasler years...and even before if truth be known.

When you are down that kick in the guts inevitably gets delivered.

We are a club thats been on the slide for a while in several areas of operation and on the field.

As others say...a thorough clean out appears the only chance to re-set.

If up to me I would not re-sign ANY players out of contract and therefore start clearing out those poor buggers who are infected with the loser mentality "only young", "working on being better at what we're doin", and trying to teach first grade paid reservegraders how to be first graders bc we are pushing sheet uphill before we even start.

Our players are too small, not agile, not smart thinkers and not lead well enough.

All these issues need to be recognised and dealt with. It's going to take at least 3 years for Barrett to get this club competitive again and lets not expect miracles.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. We are terrible and dont make ourselves any "luck" at all.

Not using that as an excuse. Sick of excuses. We've been in crisis and excuses mode since half way through Hasler years...and even before if truth be known.

When you are down that kick in the guts inevitably gets delivered.

We are a club thats been on the slide for a while in several areas of operation and on the field.

As others say...a thorough clean out appears the only chance to re-set.

If up to me I would not re-sign ANY players out of contract and therefore start clearing out those poor buggers who are infected with the loser mentality "only young", "working on being better at what we're doin", and trying to teach first grade paid reservegraders how to be first graders bc we are pushing sheet uphill before we even start.

Our players are too small, not agile, not smart thinkers and not lead well enough.

All these issues need to be recognised and dealt with. It's going to take at least 3 years for Barrett to get this club competitive again and lets not expect miracles.
You make some good points . I would re-sign Foran though given there are not many options out there . We need to recruit another half and getting 2 decent halves would be tough .

The rest can go and Jackson needs to be pushed to England sooner rather than later

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You make some good points . I would re-sign Foran though given there are not many options out there . We need to recruit another half and getting 2 decent halves would be tough .

The rest can go and Jackson needs to be pushed to England sooner rather than later
Well unfortunately "whoever" it is thats responsible, whether Pay, Recruitment committee, Board, CEO, Andersons....someone extended Lewis and gave overs to JJ for another 3 years so the future means dealing with them in the team.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like Dean Pay was not the big problem after all.
Yep. Where are all the ‘Sack The Squad’ threads and hashtags?
Just because steve g is just as shit as pay does not prove anything.. the fact that this team can go toe to toe with a premiership heavy weight one week and get flogged by another the next week, just proves the coaching staff are to blame. If the "cattle" were that bad, they would never be able to get close to a top team...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just because steve g is just as shit as pay does not prove anything.. the fact that this team can go toe to toe with a premiership heavy weight one week and get flogged by another the next week, just proves the coaching staff are to blame. If the "cattle" were that bad, they would never be able to get close to a top team...
I never said it’s 100% either way, but the squad simply isn’t up to scratch and the number of players who’ll be let go at the end of this season confirms that. With all the rage on here about sacking Pay earlier this year, it would simply be nice for some acknowledgement that it’s a combination of factors that need/ed change and it couldn’t be done quickly.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never said it’s 100% either way, but the squad simply isn’t up to scratch and the number of players who’ll be let go at the end of this season confirms that. With all the rage on here about sacking Pay earlier this year, it would simply be nice for some acknowledgement that it’s a combination of factors that need/ed change and it couldn’t be done quickly.
Dean pay was part of the problem for anyone to suggest otherwise is just moronic.. he set us back in our development 2 years..

Whilst i agree our squad will never challenge for a premiership, they are currently under achieving, but have shown glimpses that they are better than they are positioned. Therefore i blame the coach.

A good coach will extract the best possible performance out of a squad more often than not. And there is a vast difference between the best and worst performance in this squad..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of the journos have been going into withdrawals the last few weeks. We've been looking pretty competitive against some good teams for three weeks, so it's either write a positive story about the team, find something obscure but still negative (like the $BW crap, family club sack part of family (Pay)) or lastly say nothing at all about us. I'm glad we finally gave them a loss where it was easy to criticize the club without having to really find an obscure angle.

obe

Waterboy
Reaction score
So the Panthers are flying high on the ladder, the Eels are doing well, the Broncos with all that they have going for them are playing like school boys and still we are that the club the media wants to talk about.
I wonder how the clubs feel.
What would they have to do to get any news coverage? .
I am sure the other clubs would be slightly envious of the Bulldogs because lose or win they make the news.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate wtf????

Dean pay has some of these players signed, re-signed

Dean pay actively picked some of these players without a view to replace them.

Britt (who cant even make our 17)
Jmk
Crichton
Lewis
Smith at centre
Dwz fullback money

Pay was a major problem and he wouldve kept on collecting rubbish players

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate wtf????

Jmk
Crichton
Lewis
Smith at centre
Dwz fullback money

The coach has nothing to do with determining salaries, regardless of who the coach is. Some of the selection decisions were questionable, yes, but Steve G has maintained some of those too (eg: Lewis). Don’t forget there’s been next to no cap space for 3 years - any coach would’ve struggled with that - it’s why Madge knocked us back when Des was punted.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We just got unlucky in this game
At 0 0 we had a chance to go 2 to 0 up
These young blokes u know..they just need experience. They need 50 games

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The coach has nothing to do with determining salaries, regardless of who the coach is. Some of the selection decisions were questionable, yes, but Steve G has maintained some of those too (eg: Lewis). Don’t forget there’s been next to no cap space for 3 years - any coach would’ve struggled with that - it’s why Madge knocked us back when Des was punted.
The coach has input into which players he wants to retain or sign and tells the club to act accordingly, so while yes the club maintain the salary cap they try to fit the coaches recruitment into the salary cap.

Dean pay persisted with jmk in the halves, where he was absolutely shit

So when the halves didn't work pay shifted jmk to hooker and earmarked jmk as our long term hooker.

It took kotoa THREE games to show, that while he was penriths 4th choice, he's a far better hooker than jmk.

So to suggest pay wasn't a big problem and that hes just as bad as the squad is bullshit because it was pay who was building the squad and persisting with shit like lewis and jmk

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate wtf????

Jmk
Crichton
Lewis
Smith at centre
Dwz fullback money

Dean pay oversaw 6million worth of talent turnover. The cap excuse is thin