News Barrett quits key role at panthers

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he needs to quit the panthers and come do his job with us ASAP!
Recruitment for next year should be his priority!!
He's recruiting now anyway. Elliot mentioned Baz called him and apparently players are calling him looking for a gig. No doubt most of his focus is on us anyway.....even when he's at Penrith

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he needs to quit the panthers and come do his job with us ASAP!
Recruitment for next year should be his priority!!
Nope its perfect where he is right now!
No pressure he can take his time to prepare for next year.
He would be looking at the Panthers differently looking and watching to see what they do and bringing it to the dogs.
He can sit back and recruit the right players.

If he was at the Dogs now there would be pressure on him straight away to recruit and to get results.
Im pretty sure he would be in contact with Georgallis and getting his views on players and their attitudes.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No it's not, it's just marking time whilst achieving nothing in a coaching sense.

He would be much better prepared for next year if he spent 100% of his time and effort on us.

He would be looking at the Panthers differently looking and watching to see what they do and bringing it to the dogs.
If he doesn't already know then he shouldn't be coming to us, he's not up to it.

Not true, he can't recruit anyone, all he can do is be a voice on the end of the phone and he can't even do that if it's a Penrith player or a player that Penrith might be interested in.

If he was at the Dogs now there would be pressure on him straight away to recruit and to get results.
Good, that will get him toughened up for the shit that he's going to cop next year, the media is going to have a field day all over him.

In pretty sure he would be in contact with Georgallis and getting his views on players and their attitudes.
Not during the 8 hour day when he's assistant coaching Penrith and not for the 8 hours when he's sleeping, that's 66.6% of the time that he's not working on coaching us.

Go Dogs

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No it's not, it's just marking time whilst achieving nothing in a coaching sense.

He would be much better prepared for next year if he spent 100% of his time and effort on us.

If he doesn't already know then he shouldn't be coming to us, he's not up to it.

Not true, he can't recruit anyone, all he can do is be a voice on the end of the phone and he can't even do that if it's a Penrith player or a player that Penrith might be interested in.

Good, that will get him toughened up for the shit that he's going to cop next year, the media is going to have a field day all over him.

Not during the 8 hour day when he's assistant coaching Penrith and not for the 8 hours when he's sleeping, that's 66.6% of the time that he's not working on coaching us.

Go Dogs
Well thats your opinion!
I dont agree!

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Tell the board what you think. They signed off on the deal. Its on them.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I dont understand how you can think its not valuable for him to be coaching at the Panthers. Youre essentially saying he is what he is and cant grow as a coach. what the fuck. Rules changed this year, the games changed, seeing how teams play and adjust during the finals would be very valuable.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was contracted for next year as well so they are letting him out of the final year, plus the are on the top of the comp. Like with O'Brien, why would Penrith want to jeopardize the harmony and good thing they have going. He will be at Belmore days after the GF or Penrith's run ends.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Tell the board what you think. They signed off on the deal. Its on them.
I already have, via email and face to face.

I dont understand how you can think its not valuable for him to be coaching at the Panthers. Youre essentially saying he is what he is and cant grow as a coach. what the fuck. Rules changed this year, the games changed, seeing how teams play and adjust during the finals would be very valuable.
And he can't do that from outside of Penrith? With the time freed up to look at all of the teams (4 to 6 games a week) in person, compared to only seeing Penrith and whoever they are playing (1 game a week). If he hasn't learnt everything he can learn from Cleary in the ~4 years that he has been assistant to him then another 3 to 4 months is hardly going to make much difference.

Go Dogs

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And he can't do that from outside of Penrith? With the time freed up to look at all of the teams (4 to 6 games a week) in person, compared to only seeing Penrith and whoever they are playing (1 game a week). If he hasn't learnt everything he can learn from Cleary in the ~4 years that he has been assistant to him then another 3 to 4 months is hardly going to make much difference.

Go Dogs
Watching on TV doesnt compare to coaching and having to make the adjustments first hand. Again, it doesnt make sense to say that hes better of at the Dogs now when he has the whole off season, hes clearly already doing work for the Dogs already. If he can have adequate input (seems like he is) as well as gain first hand experience coaching a top 4 squad then he needs to do it to benefit the club for next year onwards.

PS. Is he learning from Cleary? Or learning from the experience hes gaining managing their offense. Hes responsible for that, hes even sitting in the middle of coaches box during games like hes the head coach.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are pros and cons to Barrett staying at Penrith or coming here. I'm happy for him to stay at Penrith but then again I wouldn't complain if he started tomorrow

The idea that he's not focusing on us is ludicrous. Just imagine what you would be doing in his situation. I'm sure when he's driving to work in the morning (I assume the drive from Wollongong to Penrith is over an hour), 99% of the time he's thinking about football he's thinking about us. On the drive back home, he'd probably be spending half his time talking to someone at the club about next year. FFS, he tried to call Elliot 3 times before Elliot called him back. 3 times.........for friggin Elliot. Imagine how many times he's going to try and call a good player were trying to sign.

We are his future so we will dominate his footballing focus...even when he's doing drills as Penrith he'll still be thinking of us half the time. As long as he's given the wink and the nod to Burton to follow him over and he's scouring for a hooker, we're good.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I really don't understand your gripe in this situation. Barrett is clearly having an influence on recruitment and retention with us while working with Penrith. He and Hill have confirmed this numerous times.

O'Brien did the same thing last year while at the Roosters. Holbrook did the same while at the Titans. There have been numerous other examples.

Do you really think Barrett won't be working overtime within the next four months into preparing for the biggest and most important job of his life and recruiting for next season?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this is normal behaviour across all sports, like in formula 1 when a driver signs for another team they stop giving him information about next years car development

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
this is normal behaviour across all sports, like in formula 1 when a driver signs for another team they stop giving him information about next years car development
I love this comparison...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Im pretty sure he would be in contact with Georgallis and getting his views on players and their attitudes.
just a reminder that I don't want to hear any bullshit that barrett has only coached the team for 1 game and the players need time to gel under his coaching style etc, everyone should treat 2021 as his 2nd year as coach

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
just a reminder that I don't want to hear any bullshit that barrett has only coached the team for 1 game and the players need time to gel under his coaching style etc, everyone should treat 2021 as his 2nd year as coach
Agreed, they are all playing now as if he was already coach and he will have the entire off season to get his vision (fuck I hate that term) in their heads.