Opinion Saab Try

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
For mine that’s line ball ball with 17 being offside. If it was a Dogs player I’d say play on.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For mine that’s line ball ball with 17 being offside. If it was a Dogs player I’d say play on.
I must need an eye test then because I reckon he’s clearly offside

And when it went to video they only asked about Saab

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must need an eye test then because I reckon he’s clearly offside

And when it went to video they only asked about Saab
It can be a optical illusion sometimes when you are looking at straight lines on camera angles like that. I could be wrong and you could be right but i think everyone probably looks at it a bit differently.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
OK. I really wasn't concentrating. I thought the rule was " Outside the 10 Metres" What was the Bunkers response?
Yes mate . Look at the pic above

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not that it makes a difference but if someone has a minute can they screen shot on here how far offside the 17 for the Dragons was on the Saab try . It was at least 5 metres and he got involved .

Don’t know how video ref missed it

Didn’t cost the game though . Playing Montoya over Avo did !!!
Video ref said the ball went more than 10 metres off the Dog's foot before he touched it, which puts him on side.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. He was in the ten when Chricton dropped it. It was a difficult catch for Chrichton and I reckon Meaney should have called it even though he was running backwards
Video ref said it went ten when Chrichton kicked it.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Video ref said the ball went more than 10 metres off the Dog's foot before he touched it, which puts him on side.
That was Saab. Not the 17 !!!!!

Saab was outside the 10 when Crichton knocked on . The number 17 was 2 metres away and hence had a bearing on the play but video ref didn’t check him

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Was watching at the pub and in real time I said the same to my mate. However looking at the freeze frame I’m happy to cop it - imagine something like that went against us, it would be a conspiracy.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is that the refs don't over analyse it. And they can't as it would shut the game down for 30 minutes. They look closely to make sure the try scorer is on side then the rest they don't care about.

It's a good thing and a bad thing. The bad part is that they miss blatant offsides like with this try. The upside is that the game doesn't stop for 30 minutes every time they want to review a try.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No , he said Saab was 10 metres away
Nah. He said, "The ball travelled 10 metres", but that doesn't matter. That just puts Saab on side. Two other players were offside and inside the 10 when Chrichton touched it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The question was asked only about Saab and I distinctly remember the video ref saying two offside to the right of the kicker ( no 17 being one of them and the player on his left).

From the second shot of Chrichton making a mess of the catch that player ( number 17) is within the 10.......he is then offside and not in a passive way...BUT the only thing that the referee asked the video ref to check was Saab who technically was outside of the ten when Chrichton fumbled and he was the one that took possession and scored.That does not excuse the fact that the video ref had already pin pointed him as offside and as such he was not entitled to be an influence on the play.

Am I the only one who is confused that a player who is inside the ten and only a metre or so from the player who has dropped the ball is not penalised for being offside when he is especially when the video ref has said he was?

In any case our ineptitude cost us once again and we just can't maintain any sort of effort for the full 80 minutes. Looked okay for a while there and on past performances and a better showing by St George of late, really we should have been absolutely flogged. Another heartbreaking loss.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's pretend he doesn't knock on and catches the ball like any other nrl winger would.. Saab an co (the others offside) tackle him and drag him back into the in goal... Do we get a penalty or is it tough tiddies?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's pretend he doesn't knock on and catches the ball like any other nrl winger would.. Saab an co (the others offside) tackle him and drag him back into the in goal... Do we get a penalty or is it tough tiddies?
Tough tiddies. If it was going to be a penalty then the ref would have known they were offside and would never have gone upstairs for the try.