Okunbor/CHN megathread

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Initially, my view (and comments at the time) were in support of the NRLs decision. However, this was at a time where the full facts weren't clear (With CHN (Tinder pickup) and Okunbor (Highschool girls) having separate incidents within the same night). What was clear, however, was that both punishments were much more harsh than that of other players indiscretions (Robert Jennings/ Tyrone May sex tapes did not result in de-registrations). Since then, appeals punishments are more in line with the breach of the Code of Conduct by both players and support a return to the NRL off the back of them doing their time/ community service/ fines/ whatever else comes through.

What I am still battling with is - should they come back to the Bulldogs? Starting with Okunbor - the kid is a local junior and would never dream of playing for another club. He's reserve grade quality/ fringe first grader and I'm fine with him coming back into the top 30 to try and earn a spot back in the top 17. CHN on the other hand, I can see his point of view to look elsewhere, but how about the fact that we paid a fair salary (Overs if you look at the fact he was stuck playing reggies/ extended bench for the Panthers), put the time in to develop him and give him a solid run in the second row, develop his game through all his defensive struggles and inconsistencies to where he's an International level talent.

Again, CHN fucked up and for some reason it's the club that is being made out to be the "bad guy" in this situation. It blows my fucking mind. If anything, CHN owes it to the club that gave him his highest paying salary/ longest contract to which he broke the NRL's and Clubs Code of Conduct. Don't get me wrong, CHN is a quality footballer, but let's see if he's a quality human and makes his return to the club and repay the faith to the team that recruited him and gave him the opportunity to develop his career to the point it is now.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What did CHN do that was morally wrong?
Fuck all the morals how about holding him accountable for what he's done to the club? It wasn't the clubs decision to hand down his punishment it was the NRL. We simply acted like any other club would act in the same situation. He was apart of the reason we lost a major sponsorship, disrupted our season preparation and lost the club some reputation. He let his team mates, his club and his fans down plain and simple. He should be more than happy to try amend his wrongs and he (if true) wants to look elsewhere? It speaks volumes about his character. Who would want to go out and play next to a guy who treats his club and team mates like that?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Initially, my view (and comments at the time) were in support of the NRLs decision. However, this was at a time where the full facts weren't clear (With CHN (Tinder pickup) and Okunbor (Highschool girls) having separate incidents within the same night). What was clear, however, was that both punishments were much more harsh than that of other players indiscretions (Robert Jennings/ Tyrone May sex tapes did not result in de-registrations). Since then, appeals punishments are more in line with the breach of the Code of Conduct by both players and support a return to the NRL off the back of them doing their time/ community service/ fines/ whatever else comes through.

What I am still battling with is - should they come back to the Bulldogs? Starting with Okunbor - the kid is a local junior and would never dream of playing for another club. He's reserve grade quality/ fringe first grader and I'm fine with him coming back into the top 30 to try and earn a spot back in the top 17. CHN on the other hand, I can see his point of view to look elsewhere, but how about the fact that we paid a fair salary (Overs if you look at the fact he was stuck playing reggies/ extended bench for the Panthers), put the time in to develop him and give him a solid run in the second row, develop his game through all his defensive struggles and inconsistencies to where he's an International level talent.

Again, CHN fucked up and for some reason it's the club that is being made out to be the "bad guy" in this situation. It blows my fucking mind. If anything, CHN owes it to the club that gave him his highest paying salary/ longest contract to which he broke the NRL's and Clubs Code of Conduct. Don't get me wrong, CHN is a quality footballer, but let's see if he's a quality human and makes his return to the club and repay the faith to the team that recruited him and gave him the opportunity to develop his career to the point it is now.

CHN will look great in roosters colours and I hope he wins a premiership this season playing for them. I totally understand his frustration because he was dealt with the same hand as what Okenbur was when they were clearly different situations. Okenbur deserved a lifetime ban BUT what CHN did was worthy of nothing more than a slap across the wrist and instead, the club and Hill smashed them along with the media without clarifying that he two were totally different situations and scenarios.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck all the morals how about holding him accountable for what he's done to the club? It wasn't the clubs decision to hand down his punishment it was the NRL. We simply acted like any other club would act in the same situation. He was apart of the reason we lost a major sponsorship, disrupted our season preparation and lost the club some reputation. He let his team mates, his club and his fans down plain and simple. He should be more than happy to try amend his wrongs and he (if true) wants to look elsewhere? It speaks volumes about his character. Who would want to go out and play next to a guy who treats his club and team mates like that?
Okenbur was the reason.. Okenbur smashed a school girl NOT CHN.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What did CHN do that was morally wrong?
What's "morally" got to do with it, he breached his contract (female back to room) despite many, many, many counselling and training sessions that it was unacceptable and at the same time being told what the consequences would be. He let down his team mates very badly and to many that's immoral.

Go Dogs

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What's "morally" got to do with it, he breached his contract (female back to room) despite many, many, many counselling and training sessions that it was unacceptable and at the same time being told what the consequences would be. He let down his team mates very badly and to many that's immoral.

Go Dogs

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. Imagine a scenario where the woman turns around and says she was drunk/ inebriated/ CHN took her back to the hotel against her will and we end up with a JDB level scandal / Coffs repeat all over again.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
CHN will look great in roosters colours and I hope he wins a premiership this season playing for them. I totally understand his frustration because he was dealt with the same hand as what Okenbur was when they were clearly different situations. Okenbur deserved a lifetime ban BUT what CHN did was worthy of nothing more than a slap across the wrist and instead, the club and Hill smashed them along with the media without clarifying that he two were totally different situations and scenarios.
How do you know that the dogs werent clarifying the differences between the two situations? The media was always going to hammer the bloke like they would with any similar situation, that has nothing to do with the club. He can be frustrated all he wants many non Bulldogs fans agree with me that he'll show himself to be a complete wanker with no regard to his team if he wants to walk. Good luck to a team that simply wants to exploit the situation and pick him up if its true, we don't need that kind of selfish attitude in the middle of a rebuild

Okenbur was the reason.. Okenbur smashed a school girl NOT CHN.
CHN involved himself in the situation, nobody else? I agree the two are not comparable but the NRL deemed them to be not the Bulldogs. To be dirty on the club for simply following protocol is a joke. What are we meant to do? Play a deregistered player the next week?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Roosters want him then if I was the club I'd try and get a swap deal with Joey Manu. Only way I'd take CHN being a Rooster.
Would take Sitilu Tupouniua that's a like for like replacement in regards to potential. Bet you they would say no aswell... Nat Butcher is another I would take as he could be our lock for a very long time.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CHN's companion was also a "schoolgirl".

Go Dogs
No it wasn't.
How do you know that the dogs werent clarifying the differences between the two situations? The media was always going to hammer the bloke like they would with any similar situation, that has nothing to do with the club. He can be frustrated all he wants many non Bulldogs fans agree with me that he'll show himself to be a complete wanker with no regard to his team if he wants to walk. Good luck to a team that simply wants to exploit the situation and pick him up if its true, we don't need that kind of selfish attitude in the middle of a rebuild

CHN involved himself in the situation, nobody else? I agree the two are not comparable but the NRL deemed them to be not the Bulldogs. To be dirty on the club for simply following protocol is a joke. What are we meant to do? Play a deregistered player the next week?
At no point did Andrew Hill or any other Bulldogs representative state that the two players incidents were isolated and in no way related. They toed the line and allowed the media to continue with rumour and mostly innuendo without coming and and pointing out that CHN met a female on tinder and had his way with her.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a few clubs that have been enquiring about his services. No doubt his manager is seeing only dollar signs here and hopes to capitalise on the situation. He wasn't a walk up starter when we signed him and has since had some success on the rep scene. So I assume that if CHN is looking to leave, some part of it is due to feeling that he's capable of earning more elsewhere probably due to his manager shopping him around.

If that's the case, as I and others have said, we should stand our ground on this and withhold a release if we're not going to be compensated by at least getting a really promising junior in return who can potentially be NRL ready by next year. We're not in a position to just let quality players walk right now without getting something in return.
but my point is I don’t think the club has a leg to stand on to hold up a release as I imagine the contract is null and void in the players favour . you can’t sack someone and then hold them to the contract unless he agrees. im just going off what they released at the time the club released statement that they were sacked not suspended awaiting outcome of the latest appeal

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Club left him out to dry honestly. It's not hard to say look both players have broke rules and standards and will be held accountable. Due process will be taken while always keeping in mind that both incidents are different. But Hill and the club decided to take the full moral high ground and try look like saints... Sadly the simple fact is people have made up their minds about the Dogs back in 2004 so nothing will change that, we need to be transparent and start looking after our players abit more. No one wants to be at a club where you get thrown to the wolves at the first sign of trouble ... I really hope he stays but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes, honestly I believe no one currently at the club will be able to convince him to stay, Gus Gould who hes close to and Barrett will be the only ones that can salvage this

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No one wants to be at a club where you get thrown to the wolves at the first sign of trouble ...
... and no club wants to sign a player that gets themselves into trouble in the first place. The relationship between club and player goes both ways.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Club left him out to dry honestly. It's not hard to say look both players have broke rules and standards and will be held accountable. Due process will be taken while always keeping in mind that both incidents are different. But Hill and the club decided to take the full moral high ground and try look like saints... Sadly the simple fact is people have made up their minds about the Dogs back in 2004 so nothing will change that, we need to be transparent and start looking after our players abit more. No one wants to be at a club where you get thrown to the wolves at the first sign of trouble ... I really hope he stays but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes, honestly I believe no one currently at the club will be able to convince him to stay, Gus Gould who hes close to and Barrett will be the only ones that can salvage this
I wouldn't be suprised if half the roster doesn't want to see him back after the way he's treated them. To make him out as a victim in this case is ridiculous lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
but my point is I don’t think the club has a leg to stand on to hold up a release as I imagine the contract is null and void in the players favour . you can’t sack someone and then hold them to the contract unless he agrees. im just going off what they released at the time the club released statement that they were sacked not suspended awaiting outcome of the latest appeal
Source; https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13...ra-deregistrations-reduced-to-bans-and-fines/

"Canterbury back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera could be available for Dean Pay's beleaguered squad as early as next week after he and Jayden Okunbor had their contracts reinstated by the NRL."

Definition of "reinstated" = restore (someone or something) to their former position or state.

In simple terms CHN and JO 's contracts with us were restored to their previous position. Meaning that they are contracted to us as per the terms of their existing contracts.

Go Dogs

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can be dirty at the club all they want. Maybe had they not broke the rules in the first place they wouldn’t be in this mess.

If they want to come back. Fine. Negotiate a cheaper contract. Or make the dogs sit in reserve grade. If they want to leave. That’s fine. Give him to the roosters. But say we want Manu in return. If the Raiders want him, say fine give us Wighton. If they want to leave we get a player in return.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Source; https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13...ra-deregistrations-reduced-to-bans-and-fines/

"Canterbury back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera could be available for Dean Pay's beleaguered squad as early as next week after he and Jayden Okunbor had their contracts reinstated by the NRL."

Definition of "reinstated" = restore (someone or something) to their former position or state.

In simple terms CHN and JO 's contracts with us were restored to their previous position. Meaning that they are contracted to us as per the terms of their existing contracts.

Go Dogs
as in said it’s in the players favour , that appeals process was essentially a appeal against unfair dismissal

at the end of the day they sacked him , if the players want they can go back and continue that contract but no judge in the country would enforce that contract since they had been sacked

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If CHN is considering his option, he might as well leave now. No way he will be comitted to playing his best football for the club if he sticks around, even if no other club wants him. The fact that he is considering his options, shows he is not fully committed to our cause. He was given the honor to captain our 9's side at the start of the season, we obviously value him. If he cannot see that, see ya later. How many times was he dropped last year, because he comes in and out of games. He is a good player, but he is no SBW or Bateman...

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I mean they lost our club its major sponsorship. In ANY other job they would be fired without a second thought yet these dumb knts get a second chance and one of them wants to piss, moan and act like a victim. Please.