News Hooper: D-Day looms for Pay as Dogs to decide coach’s fate in next 48 hours

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dark horse,Chris Anderson to take over,until Flanagan,is given the go ahead by the NRL,he is out of work at the moment

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely not all on the coach but every team makes basic errors at crucial times.

Broncos had 5 more errors than us and we received 2 more penalties. Their defence has been shithouse and they were able to defend their errors.
Penalties were other way around mate (6-4 Ponies) but that’s neither here nor there. Yes, they defended their errors because we have so few points in us - I concede the coaching plays a part in that but it’s not all Pay (what accountability is on his assistants for instance). Have the players lost interest, particularly those who’ve been told they won’t be here next year? Do the Ponies believe in themselves more or wanted it more for themselves or for their coach? My point is there’s more to our poorness than just the head coach - there has to be.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A dark horse,Chris Anderson to take over,until Flanagan,is given the go ahead by the NRL,he is out of work at the moment
Heart attack waiting to happen

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If Pay is axed then the club needs to head hunt the best possible candidate.

An interview process is a must where the candidates come in or zoom and tell the whole board what they would do with our roster, what positions they would target for recruitment and who their targets are.

The whole nine yards not just appoint Barrett.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Pay does not get re-signed it makes last year’s 12 month extension look like a terrible bit of business when you consider what coaching options were available last year. They missed the boat because I’d have taken O’Brien and Holbrook over Barrett.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Pay does not get re-signed it makes last year’s 12 month extension look like a terrible bit of business when you consider what coaching options were available last year. They missed the boat because I’d have taken O’Brien and Holbrook over Barrett.
Yes . Holbrook and O,brien , they have done good so far ..!!

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penalties were other way around mate (6-4 Ponies) but that’s neither here nor there. Yes, they defended their errors because we have so few points in us - I concede the coaching plays a part in that but it’s not all Pay (what accountability is on his assistants for instance). Have the players lost interest, particularly those who’ve been told they won’t be here next year? Do the Ponies believe in themselves more or wanted it more for themselves or for their coach? My point is there’s more to our poorness than just the head coach - there has to be.
Yep you’re right. I read that wrong.
I’d support the sacking of the support staff and assistants before Pay. Do they have KPI’s they need to meet or is that something they’ll only start looking at when we have a better roster?
Pay should’ve been given two quality assistant coaches when he first took over so I agree that he was dudded there.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think this horse has been flogged..................

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You know what Horse, I would be thinking the same thing but I have no confidence in Pay anymore. Just making really dumb decisions like putting Reimis in the centers instead of wing, Meaney is a much better fullback than DWZ especially under the high ball. Cogger in one game at dummy half looked 100 times better than JMK. Napa should be on the bench, Renouf is ten times a better player than Napa. In 2018 when holland and Reimis were both playing right side and were killing it, round 1 the following season he decides to break up that combo, the list goes on and on over the last 3 years. He even dropped CHN at one stage in favor of duds like Priest. The guy has no idea. When all you hear is “run hard, tackle hard” with no real game plan it starts to get worrying. What about that game at Belmore against the storm, the master plan was to kick to JAC on the last all the time, JAC destroyed us! These are just 1% of the crap he’s pulled.
So much this. Hes made mistake after mistake and rewards mediocrity, how else do we justify tolman and napa not being dropped from the starting line up or smith always being picked as centre.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I guess that’s a different question I’m not sold on Barrett either it’s a huge risk. The club have to do something though they can’t let results like last night continue to happen as regularly as they are. If this all ends up happening at least there will be some certainty but with all those coaching options coming up next year who knows how long the certainty lasts if Barrett doesn’t fire.
Let’s not overlook the Barrett story was Buzz so let’s wait and see. In my view the only reason to act right now is if players are telling the club they won’t sign if Pay remains coach - and the club MUST know the answer to that either way.

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What stupid decisions are you referring to that aren’t just hypotheticals?

Week after week I’m seeing points leaked and ultimately games lost directly attributed to crucial errors made by a variety of players who just aren’t up to it, which includes our marquee men. Tough gig for the coach.
Tough gig for a coach who tells RFM to simplify his game by running hard and tackling hard. Yep Pay has all the tactical answers.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Pay is axed then the club needs to head hunt the best possible candidate.

An interview process is a must where the candidates come in or zoom and tell the whole board what they would do with our roster, what positions they would target for recruitment and who their targets are.

The whole nine yards not just appoint Barrett.
Surely it's Shaun Wane, they spent a lot of time in England and to only return with Thompson is a little underwhelming...