News 'I want to keep coaching here': Why Pay believes he's the man for Dogs job

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Embattled Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has made his case to continue at Canterbury beyond this season as the club's board ponder his future.

The NRL rumour mill has been in full force this week, with some reports suggesting Pay could learn his fate as soon as next week.

The Bulldogs coach has been tight-lipped at each of his pre-game press conferences when asked about his future.

But before a critical clash against the Broncos on Saturday, Pay opened up a little more when asked if he is the man to drag Canterbury out of the competition's cellar.

"We’ve worked really hard over the last two or three years to get ourselves in a position where we can start to move forward now. And of course, I want to keep coaching here," Pay said.

"But my job is to make sure whatever player we do bring in here a better player and that way, we will make ourselves a better team and a better club. Of course we want to keep progressing and keep moving forward."

The only way Pay will move forward with the club is if he can conjure some wins from what is an admittedly inferior roster.

The off-contract coach believes all matches are important but a win against Brisbane - who are currently underperforming more than any other team in the NRL - are simply games Canterbury cannot afford to lose.

"I think (all games are) crucial. I haven’t spoken to the board about whether they’re making a decision or not but that’s out of my control. I’m just concentrating on our game tomorrow," Pay said.

"We put 65 minutes of good footy in against Souths last week and if a couple things go our way, we might have got a result. But at the end of the day, we weren’t good enough.

"We want to keep building our game of footy with what we’ve got. Hopefully we can put some longer periods of decent footy together and really challenge the Broncos."

One player who is certain to help Pay's cause is Luke Thompson.

The former St Helens star was labelled the best prop in the Super League by many pundits - including current Titans coach Justin Holbrook - and will make his debut in the blue and white against Brisbane.

"I want him to bring what he brings and we want him to be his own person," Pay said.

"Obviously he’s a quality player that has played representative footy and played in some big games over in the Super League. He brings a fair bit of experience with him as well.

"He’s only a young guy but he has a fair bit of experience in bigger games. We’re all excited and we’re looking forward to him getting out there and playing with the boys."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...e-s-the-man-for-dogs-job-20200710-p55awd.html

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All of these articles supporting Pay to get re-signed make the reporting of Trump on Fox News look impartial.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Can this cock sucking mother fucker Pay just fuck of already. No one wants you to keep coaching at Canterbury you loser

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Get ready at 530 today hes gonna drop wakeham and put lewis at halfback

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"I want to keep coaching here"

Change the word "keep" to "start", and ask yourself if there is any coach out there who would actually say that right now. If you can't think of one, that is the reason Pay will get another year.

The place is a mess.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look Deano has had to coach an inferior squad. But what I find hard to fathom is picking players out of position. I would rather have players in the right position trying week in week out than failed experiments like Smith at centre. put the best 13 in the positions they know, yes we may still lose but they gain experience and grow. Somewhere we must have a real centre. I don't dislike Pay but I dislike his decisions on the line ups. We would all love to see Pay succeed, but either someone is telling him what team to pick or he has no idea. If they keep losing then the coach must be judged on results

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Fine, sack Pay. Then you'll be calling for the head of the next coach after 3 straight losses. NO ONE CAN DIG US OUT OF THIS MESS.

There's no players to sign, no sponsors want a team coming last, no fans coming to games, no interest from anyone whatsoever.

The only thing that will get us out of this mess is time.

PS... FUCK Des.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow 2 articles about Pay on the same day so that must mean a decision is imminent
Hurry the fuck up you clowns and make a decision. Were in the middle of July.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pros and Cons of Pay

Pros

Does seem to get the boys up for a game and has a good relationship with them
I really can't think of anyone else

Cons

Takes him 10 rounds to pick the obvious lineup that everyone else sees and has done this the past 3 seasons
Doesn't develop players, players have regressed under him
Is not a master tactician, the game seems to fly by him, i.e. the 6 again rule change, he still hasn't adjusted for it
Interchange use is horrible
Has his favorite players and persists with them when we have better options, hence our better options get frustrated and look to leave the club ASAP
Throws young players in the deep end or screws around with their inclusion in the team and completely demoralizes young players who have potential, e.g. Renouf To'omaga, Wakeham, Averillo, Ogden
Has more often than not recruited duds Britt, Stimson, Meaney, Cogger, attempted Reynolds

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fine, sack Pay. Then you'll be calling for the head of the next coach after 3 straight losses. NO ONE CAN DIG US OUT OF THIS MESS.

There's no players to sign, no sponsors want a team coming last, no fans coming to games, no interest from anyone whatsoever.

The only thing that will get us out of this mess is time.

PS... FUCK Des.
Fuck Dib and Castle.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pros and Cons of Pay

Pros

Does seem to get the boys up for a game and has a good relationship with him
I really can't think of anyone else

Cons

Takes him 10 rounds to pick the obvious lineup that everyone else sees and has done this the past 3 seasons
Doesn't develop players, players have regressed under him
Is not a master technician, the game seems to fly by him, i.e. the 6 again rule change, he still hasn't adjusted for it
Interchange use is horrible
Has his favorite players and persists with them when we have better options, hence our better options get frustrated and look to leave the club ASAP
Throws young players in the deep end or screws around with their inclusion in the team and completely demoralizes young players who have potential, e.g. Renouf To'omaga, Wakeham, Averillo, Ogden
Has more often than not recruited duds Britt, Stimson, Meaney, Cogger, attempted Reynolds
I can add a whole lot more to the cons. But would also be nice to look up at the coaches box and see a guy who looks confident in his own abilities. Instead it's like looking at a sad thomas the tank engine for 80 minutes.

upload_2020-7-10_14-30-51.png

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
"But my job is to make sure whatever player we do bring in here a better player and that way, we will make ourselves a better team and a better club. Of course we want to keep progressing and keep moving forward."
so like Britt, Crichton, Stimson, Katoa, Sue, (failed attempt at Grandpa Jennings), Meany, Cogger (who can’t get a game), there was also Lichaa

maybe a better start would be to try playing players in their actual positions you poor simple prick.... and here’s one from outside the box, when we are on the attack try not letting Tolman have the ball on the 4th the opposition won’t know what’s happening