Opinion The board

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a Bulldogs member,supporter for over 40 years,I have been reading the threads,on we need this player we need that player,we need this coach,that coach,dean pay has been there 3 years and we are actually worse now,than we were,when he took over,we have gone backwards,no sign in individual improvement,our attack or lack of,has become laughable,my solution is that after I finish this post,I will lodge my complaint to the relevant people at the club,the CEO,and members of the board ,I can't stand by and keep on watching,the rubbish,my once proud club,is giving us at the moment,our board need to start making the hard calls now not in 3 months,or no one will come to our club unless we pay overs ,and for the coach to come out and say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel,which tunnel is he talking about,the westconnex,the m5 tunnel,because at the moment,all we are seeing is gloom,would like to hear the opinions out there,

BULLDOG 4 LIFE

Waterboy
Reaction score
They better make a move soon while top players and coaches are available.
If we keep Pay we will have to pay massive overs to sign mid tier players and then we will have 5 more years of misery

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Make a move is an understatement.. get it fucking done. And get the ball rolling please.!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rot is setting in by the week and something desperately needs to change very quickly. On field and off field the club is a laughing stock and it’s been acceptable for way too long. The board, coach and CEO have failed to show they are capable of getting us out of this mess and have left it all for a Hail Mary in the next 6 months to fix a range of issues. I really hope the current admin find ways to get things right but I have no idea how anyone could be confident that they are going to be able to do it with their track record.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been a Bulldogs member,supporter for over 40 years,I have been reading the threads,on we need this player we need that player,we need this coach,that coach,dean pay has been there 3 years and we are actually worse now,than we were,when he took over,we have gone backwards,no sign in individual improvement,our attack or lack of,has become laughable,my solution is that after I finish this post,I will lodge my complaint to the relevant people at the club,the CEO,and members of the board ,I can't stand by and keep on watching,the rubbish,my once proud club,is giving us at the moment,our board need to start making the hard calls now not in 3 months,or no one will come to our club unless we pay overs ,and for the coach to come out and say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel,which tunnel is he talking about,the westconnex,the m5 tunnel,because at the moment,all we are seeing is gloom,would like to hear the opinions out there,
The fact is 2020 is the last year of the Salary Cap debacle, which is the factual light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Go Dogs

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post mate, I think Pay, if he really does love the club and wants to help us build for the future, should fall on his sword.

That at least will win back some support from the fans!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hey mate.

I think you should have a read of this as I don't think you actually know why we're where we're today.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...ase-big-names-until-2021-20180517-p4zfz3.html

Our previous board F'd us hard and we're trying to rebuild back to where we were under Des.

I'd also like to say that we're paying overs even if Bellamy is our coach. Our current roster isn't attractive. Money is the only incentive.

I was the same as you back in 2018 and that's how I came across this forum as I was looking for answers.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate stop blaming the coach. He doesn’t have any big signings, des hasler and Raylene castle fucked the club. He has $3million to spend, give him a chance to see who he buys and build the team he wants. 2021 is the year where you can blame the coach.
He lost
Klemmer
Woods
Morris boys
Mbye
Reynolds
In one hit.
Then okunbor and CHN
The coach has been dealt with blows after blows. He stills tries hard.
Judge him in 2021. Not now.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to laugh at clubs like the West Tigers, who went through coach after coach, and had instability in the boardroom, and never made the finals. Now the joke is on all of us

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey mate.

I think you should have a read of this as I don't think you actually know why we're where we're today.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...ase-big-names-until-2021-20180517-p4zfz3.html

Our previous board F'd us hard and we're trying to rebuild back to where we were under Des.

I'd also like to say that we're paying overs even if Bellamy is our coach. Our current roster isn't attractive. Money is the only incentive.

I was the same as you back in 2018 and that's how I came across this forum as I was looking for answers.
I'm pretty sure he and everyone else was aware of the cap problems. Thanks for pointing it out to us though.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In some ways I admire the optimists who are saying there will be light at the end of the tunnel in 2021. That Pay is in fact a good coach who can’t be judged on his results so far. I wish I was in that head space man, I really do.

Like some light switch will turn on and next season will be fine and the boards grand recruitment plan will reveal itself soon. The clock is ticking. Last time I checked 2021 wasn’t that far away. No major sponsor, no recruitment yet in the major areas of deficiencies (spine & centre), team form getting progressively worse. But I guess according to some of the space cadets on here we’ll be fine. So wake me up when we get there, ok guys?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he and everyone else was aware of the cap problems. Thanks for pointing it out to us though.
That really isn't the case. Most people don't think it's a big deal actually. You're a lost cause anyways, I'm just trying to help the thread maker.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please save us. Why holbrook or someone was night sighned earlier is, i wont start they have failed in everyway imo.
They have no ace up there sleeve or anything going on behind the scenes.
Why wasnt the new fucking coach here last xmas. But next week would be a good start.
Ive been watching manly fuck these clowns.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That really isn't the case. Most people don't think it's a big deal actually. You're a lost cause anyways, I'm just trying to help the thread maker.
You're calling me a lost cause? Oh, the irony..

You're trying to help the person who wrote the OP by telling him what he and everyone else already knows as if you're dropping pearls of wisdom. Could you be more out of touch?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is having access to a full cap really going to solve every problem like some would have you believe? I’m not so sure. We have no idea if this admin can attract the right players they need and they have hardly set the world on fire with recent seasons recruitment. Even working on a tight budget you’d like to think they would have hit gold with at least one long term player we could use going forward but it’s just been one stop gap option after another. The Napa signing has been a total debacle when you take into account the clubs plea for patience until 2021 and they go out and blow $600k on a panic signing that’s been a disaster.

Looking away from the playing field there’s still no major sponsor so it looks like that’s been put in the 2021 basket too. The fact they are still not paying Pay his full salary is alarming to me with the streams of cash that have come from the Leagues Club for years the football club shouldn’t be that hard up for cash.

It’s time for the clubs admin to step up or ship out.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is having access to a full cap really going to solve every problem like some would have you believe? I’m not so sure. We have no idea if this admin can attract the right players they need and they have hardly set the world on fire with recent seasons recruitment. Even working on a tight budget you’d like to think they would have hit gold with at least one long term player we could use going forward but it’s just been one stop gap option after another. The Napa signing has been a total debacle when you take into account the clubs plea for patience until 2021 and they go out and blow $600k on a panic signing that’s been a disaster.

Looking away from the playing field there’s still no major sponsor so it looks like that’s been put in the 2021 basket too. The fact they are still not paying Pay his full salary is alarming to me with the streams of cash that have come from the Leagues Club for years the football club shouldn’t be that hard up for cash.

Well said. Even on a shoestring budget you can make shrewd signings if you know how to identify talent and negotiate. They could have bought Grant last year and another prospect for what Napa costs each year.

And like you said, we can't trust that with 3-4 million to spend that it will be spent on the right players.

The scary thing is that all clubs need to spend 95% of the cap. If they're left with no one worthwhile to sign but have to spend the cap space on someone, we'll end up with more Napa panic signings that will waste more cap space for years to come.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Fkn spot on

The baffling thing is by hook or by crook we are without the following players;

CHN
Okunbor
Montoya
Smith
Hoppa

Yet we’ve only brought in Thommo

Are there plans to bring in reinforcements before the cut off date?

Like you say just because we have a full cap doesn’t mean shit for 2021 especially if we still lack leaders at the top.

Why would any quality/superstars want to join this mess especially with the indecisive leaders at the top

Coach next year?
Will this board still be here?
No major sponsors?
Losing culture last 3 years...

All that adds up to little stability to a player so unless we overpay they won’t come ...Thommo is unproven in the NRL (wait and see) if he plays like a dud in 2020 that ain’t helping future recruitment on other players either

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust this recruitment team. DWZ & Napa are flop signings. Not the key areas that need to be fixed yet big money was wasted on these two.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well said. Even on a shoestring budget you can make shrewd signings if you know how to identify talent and negotiate. They could have bought Grant last year and another prospect for what Napa costs each year.

And like you said, we can't trust that with 3-4 million to spend that it will be spent on the right players.

The scary thing is that all clubs need to spend 95% of the cap. If they're left with no one worthwhile to sign but have to spend the cap space on someone, we'll end up with more Napa panic signings that will waste more cap space for years to come.
Yeah I can’t agree more with your first two points and your last point is my major concern too. There’s already been some questionable re-signings till the end of 21 made and I think there could be more made just to fill the roster in a attempt to buy more time.