Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I've never seen such praise and support for a third year coach with a sub 33% win percentage. Who is also coach of the worst attack in the comp across those three seasons. And the worst for and against over the three seasons...

If that's what over achieving looks like, then I'd hate to see what underachieving looks like.
Going off last year underachieving would be been getting the wooden spoon and looking more like the Knights pre 2017. So a couple of wins a season and not being competitive for almost every game we played. That's where we'd be or be headed if some of you lot were in charge.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure the reason but gus asked wrong question. Its not about whether bennett can do a better job or not with the current squad. The question should be can bennett improve us with additional 3 or 4m to spend on players? Records suggest likely. Can pay do that? We have to admit we dont know yet.
Yes he did say that squad improvement was the key regardless of the coach. Can Pay do it? We’ll know soon enough whether he’ll even get the opportunity.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes he did say that squad improvement was the key regardless of the coach. Can Pay do it? We’ll know soon enough whether he’ll even get the opportunity.
Bennett isn't a rebuild coach. Gorden Tallis who played under Bennett said he isn't suited to the job last night on the Matty Johns Show. Bennett joins a roster ready to win a premiership to give them that extra edge. Records actually suggest wherever Bennett leaves turns into a mess. Bennett is also on the decline.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Going off last year underachieving would be been getting the wooden spoon and looking more like the Knights pre 2017. So a couple of wins a season and not being competitive for almost every game we played. That's where we'd be or be headed if some of you lot were in charge.
Couple of wins a year? Have you seen where we are? Equal last with 1 win almost halfway through the season, that’s where we are, keep riding deans dick and that’s where we will stay.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bennett isn't a rebuild coach. Gorden Tallis who played under Bennett said he isn't suited to the job last night on the Matty Johns Show. Bennett joins a roster ready to win a premiership to give them that extra edge. Records actually suggest wherever Bennett leaves turns into a mess. Bennett is also on the decline.
Don’t mis-interpret that. I am not pro Skeletor coming to Belmore at all. 0%.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Couple of wins a year? Have you seen where we are? Equal last with 1 win almost halfway through the season, that’s where we are, keep riding deans dick and that’s where we will stay.
I said last year (this year not too different tbh). I also think we've played as well as I could of asked for this year besides the Cowboys and Manly games. No fault of the coach, at least anymore than the players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So a couple of wins a season and not being competitive for almost every game we played. That's where we'd be or be headed if some of you lot were in charge.
That's exactly where we've been every season under Pay.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Neither is Pay a rebuilding coach, we are seeing that now. What bigger mess can Bennett or anyone else for that matter leave us in that we’re not already in?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's exactly where we've been every season under Pay.
Wow. So a couple means ~two (we won 10 games btw). We're also competitive more games than not, more games than not means at least ~50% just in case you need clarification on that too. When you're not expected to win a game I think that's pretty good personally.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I said last year (this year not too different tbh). I also think we've played as well as I could of asked for this year besides the Cowboys and Manly games. No fault of the coach, at least anymore than the players.
So the roosters game was good was it? It was over after 10 minutes, Roosters took the foot off the pedal and already had 1 eye on the eels game. We were diabolical, close to the worst start to a Bulldogs game I’ve seen in over 30 years.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just cant wait for the excuse the pro pay supporters will use in 2021.

Pay's own coaching staff don't buy into what he is selling. Let alone the players.

But some, with no idea of whats actually going on at the club think he is a victim of circumstance. LOL

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So the roosters game was good was it? It was over after 10 minutes, Roosters took the foot off the pedal and already had 1 eye on the eels game. We were diabolical, close to the worst start to a Bulldogs game I’ve seen in over 30 years.
The first 25 minutes wasn't good but it was off the back of six agains, penalties and errors. I don't blame the coach for this. After the first 25 minutes we played well.

Here you go:

First try
1. six again penalty on the 3rd tackle. Lewis.
2. penalty - high tackle. Napa.
3. Lewis flys in to tackle playmaker - Flanagan. On the next play the team doesn't shift to the left where Lewis would of been defending. No communication and low game sense from RFM, Averillo and Meaney (all at fault).
*I was made aware after positing this that Lewis has to make a dominant tackle if flying out of the line.

Second try
1. error - drop ball. Lewis.
2. error - drop ball. Meaney. If Meaney gathers the intercept we score at the other end.

Third try
1. six again penalty on the 2nd tackle. Elliott.
2. error - drop ball. Meaney.
3. Averillo caught out defensively - covering Tedesco who Lewis is already covering, massive hole. RFM's probably at fault too, defending behind the line.

Fourth try
1. multiple quick play the balls. Napa was offside due to a quick play the ball. Elliott grabbing Tupouniua instead of tackling. Tupouniua runs through a hole where Napa would of been defending. A lot of players (To'omaga, JMK and Jackson) are asleep around the play.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow. So a couple means ~two. We're also competitive more games than not, more games than not means at least ~50% if you need clarification on that too.
How is the worst attack in the comp and the worst for and against in the comp over two and a bit seasons being competitive?

For and against measures competitiveness and we're dead last over a large sample size. Wins and losses are kind of important too, but not by your measure. So I won't waste my time further.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow. So a couple means ~two (we won 10 games btw). We're also competitive more games than not, more games than not means at least ~50% just in case you need clarification on that too. When you're not expected to win a game I think that's pretty good personally.
Thats a good Titans attitude Brad. Good for you. You get a certificate of participation like the dogs. Bravo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thats a good Titans attitude Brad. Good for you. You get a certificate of participation like the dogs. Bravo
I'm just a realist. We'd be the Titans for the next 100 years if some of your opinions were enforced.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Peoples would you please kindly stop replying to Bradyk. It's really getting out of hand now and beyond the realms of sanity for him (and us).

We must move on.

Btw I have a suggestion before I head off to meet him at the funny farm.

Matty Ellliot.

With all that analysing of game plans, defence, attack strategy, surely he has picked up a bit since his previous coaching days? ;)

https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/game-plan/2020/defence-taking-red-hot-roosters-to-the-next-level/

The right fit for us or just another name outa the hat ...so stick with Pay?

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

images (49).jpeg

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The first 25 minutes wasn't good but it was off the back of six agains, penalties and errors. I don't blame the coach for this. After the first 25 minutes we played well.
Every team gets the same calls, You don’t see teams coached by Bellamy or Robinson repeatedly do the same silly shit week after week because they are real coaches and make their players accountable, not just making the same lame excuses for 3 years. We tried hard , 50 1st grade games blah blah blah.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Peoples would you please kindly stop replying to Bradyk. It's really getting out of hand now and beyond the realms of sanity for him (and us).

We must move on.

Btw I have a suggestion before I head off to meet him at the funny farm.

Matty Ellliot.

With all that analysing of game plans, defence, attack strategy, surely he has picked up a bit since his previous coaching days? ;)

https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/game-plan/2020/defence-taking-red-hot-roosters-to-the-next-level/

The right fit for us or just another name outa the hat ...so stick with Pay?
I actually posted a Matt Elliot meme saying surely pay isn't as bad as this guy and got a few disagrees.

So a few on here like him :tearsofjoy:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm just a realist. We'd be the Titans for the next 100 years if some of your opinions were enforced.
Yeh nahhhhhhhhhhhh

You defend a bloke who confuses his support staff and players.

He isn't the right fit mate. Not my opinions. Opinions of the operators within the club, i trust them over you, they have more experience and knowledge to be considered 'realists'.

Unfortunately the decision makers see it different. And for non-football related reasons (wink wink nudge nudge)