Official Round 5 - Bulldogs vs Roosters - Discussion Thread (postponed till Monday night)

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone with a different opinion to this is wrong. I'm pretty sure every try the Roosters scored to get up 24-0 was off the back of a six again, penalty or error from us. I feel sorry for the coach because people just look at the scoreboard. I thought after the first 25 minutes we were quite good.
If you are happy with that good on you.
Did you follow the club in the good times? We have dropped so far if you are happy with that. My god! If we as supporters are happy with trying to hang in there we are what Parramatta were for the last 30 years.
This club needs a reboot! Keep Foran and no-one else. Buy 24 new players and a new coach, new fitness coaches and new assistants. We need to slash and burn. Too many plodders.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on tonight I think we’ve got no choice but to re-sign Foran. We looked extremely dangerous whenever he had the ball, it’s just the players around him the reason we didn’t come up with more points. If he can stay on the field this year we must give him another 1-2
I hope Foran’s injuries are behind him and he can earn an extension. He was one of our players who looked remotely dangerous.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If you are happy with that good on you.
Did you follow the club in the good times? We have dropped so far if you are happy with that. My god! If we as supporters are happy with trying to hang in there we are what Parramatta were for the last 30 years.
This club needs a reboot! Keep Foran and no-one else. Buy 24 new players and a new coach, new fitness coaches and new assistants. We need to slash and burn. Too many plodders.
I've followed the club since 2005 and my favourite years were under Des. The 2012-14 team meant a lot to me and I'll remember those players and memories for the rest of my life.

Can you please enlighten me when in the past the management thought it'd be a good idea to play to a salary cap multiple millions above what the actual salary cap actually was? That's the reason why we're here right now.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So mixed feelings about tonight. Don’t support dean pay and his selections or what seems to be a lack of attention to detail. Phil Gould said something interesting tonight “dean pay feel into coaching” wasn’t that interested in a full time job. Think we need to move on and sign a coach for next year or sure who? But also look at the players out tonight would we have won, probably not but would have gone better if you add CHN, okumbor, Stimson and tolman. All 4
Of those are in the 17 easily

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So mixed feelings about tonight. Don’t support dean pay and his selections or what seems to be a lack of attention to detail. Phil Gould said something interesting tonight “dean pay feel into coaching” wasn’t that interested in a full time job. Think we need to move on and sign a coach for next year or sure who? But also look at the players out tonight would we have won, probably not but would have gone better if you add CHN, okumbor, Stimson and tolman. All 4
Of those are in the 17 easily
I'll be watching 100% footy later tonight, but I find that hard to believe. Why would Pay be an assistant coach (at Storm and Raiders) and then apply for a head coach role if he wasn't interested. Not sure if you got the context right there, but like I said I'll be watching later.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optimistic perhaps..... but it’s 6-6 if Meany takes the intercept and they have that try disallowed. We weren’t flash, and too much turn over on the 1st tackle, and they were very classy, but not a lot went our way either.... . We’ll beat the Sharks on Sunday.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Optimistic perhaps..... but it’s 6-6 if Meany takes the intercept and they have that try disallowed. We weren’t flash, and too much turn over on the 1st tackle, and they were very classy, but not a lot went our way either.... . We’ll beat the Sharks on Sunday.
There were a lot of moments like that. We were very close on a few occasions. The biggest problem tonight was our start which we did to ourselves with six again, penalties and errors. Roosters will capitalise and the class in the two teams is night and day.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are disappointed about tonight, but I think in the last fortnight we’ve unearthed our best back since Barba in Avarillo. Happy days ahead! We’re one win out of the 8 and Foran is firing!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To think we missed out on teddy .. shocker !!
yeh and we took that hapless water buffalo in Aaron Woods instead.

At least the Sharks did us favour taking him. Teddy’s smart he knew where he could win premierships! Just stick with Uncle Nick.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good post. Shame about all the other abuse going on. Night and day is right and we made it worse on ourselves with simple dumb stuff like DWZ and Crichton dropping balls that led directly to tries for Teddy. Despite being TK whipping boy Tolman missing hurt us defensively. We were outclassed but I don’t believe by 36. You give a team like them an inch and they cut you to shreds. Averillo showed some bright patches in attack but his defence was really exposed tonight. He needs time. We need and are desperately short of quality it’s as simple as that. I still believe band-aids will do nothing where stitches are required - so sacking Pay now will achieve very little. It might not be aiming high right now but we showed enough tonight in parts that we can beat the Sharks on Sunday. We simply have to recruit some quality for 2021.
Abuse is totally unaccepted...
I agree with most of your points but I am sure you would agree that our problems are a lot worse then a DWZ or Crichton mistake and Tolman's absence shouldn't be the end of the world in a team sport.
It's the job of the first grade coach and his staff to enhance and utilize the talent of the 30 men squad so when faced with injuries / suspensions substitutes from that squad are made...Has Pay prepared the squad accordingly ???
Not to forget we still have many representatives in the squad.
I believe the squad of the 1979 and many other squads over the years do agree with me.
In all fairness DinkumDog...Passionate supporters respectfully are entitled to express their opinions and disappointments, it forms a healthy atmosphere !!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Abuse is totally unaccepted...
I agree with most of your points but I am sure you would agree that our problems are a lot worse then a DWZ or Crichton mistake and Tolman's absence shouldn't be the end of the world in a team sport.
It's the job of the first grade coach and his staff to enhance and utilize the talent of the 30 men squad so when faced with injuries / suspensions substitutes from that squad are made...Has Pay prepared the squad accordingly ???
Not to forget we still have many representatives in the squad.
I believe the squad of the 1979 and many other squads over the years do agree with me.
In all fairness DinkumDog...Passionate supporters respectfully are entitled to express their opinions and disappointments, it forms a healthy atmosphere !!!
And I have no problem with different opinions and reasonable debate mate - not sure where my post implied otherwise.
I'm no Pay loyalist as I've been accused of being. I just think the issues run deeper than him alone and sacking him now would not be a panacea. Many will disagree and that's fine - it's not like it's my decision :-).
So we'll see what unfolds...in the meantime, I will continue to support my team and others can please themselves.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You been hacked recently ?
Haha no. I think we agree more on who we should recruit but have different opinions on the situation we're in and coach. I still want a top coach regardless what I say tho.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The new rules around the ruck has made the gulf between good and bad teams even bigger. We haven’t adapted at all and the rot set it in early last night when Lewis gave away the most obvious 6 again infringement on the 4th tackle of the game. It’s so much harder to grind out games now which is major problem when you only win games going set for set in a arm wrestle.

When you add in bad ball control and terrible defence we aren’t a realistic chance against anyone apart from fellow cellar dwellers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The new rules around the ruck has made the gulf between good and bad teams even bigger. We haven’t adapted at all and the rot set it in early last night when Lewis gave away the most obvious 6 again infringement on the 4th tackle of the game. It’s so much harder to grind out games now which is major problem when you only win games going set for set in a arm wrestle.

When you add in bad ball control and terrible defence we aren’t a realistic chance against anyone apart from fellow cellar dwellers.
And we knew that would be the case the minute the rules had changed. But have you seen a change in philosphy and attack from Pay since then?

No.. Instead we still use the same slow block plays with no one backing up in support on any run. Compare that to well coached teams and two and three players are supporting on every run..

Tucking it under the arm, playing one out footy and defending for your life will lead to more blowout losses unless you're willing to chance your arm yourself and put pressure on the other team.

Like you said, the bad teams will get exposed more than in years past and to be honest, against Manly and the Roosters the team got what it deserved. The thrashings will continue with Pay as coach as it's evident the players have given up and tuned him out. And there are still 15 games left!

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the roosters just do everything with more intensity, they are up off the line in defence, with the ball they run hard and fight for the quick play the ball. This has nothing to do with having a superior roster, they have a higher standard for the little things.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay was struggling before the rule changes but we could occasionally drag sides down to our tempo but now the ruck speed has increased and there is greater importance on a creative attacking style his short comings as a coach are as plain as day.