2020 recruitment

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course there’s still time but their margin for error gets smaller and smaller by the week. It’s not an assumption nothing is getting done it’s hard negotiating deals and they can fall over at any time for a variety of reasons. Then you’re back to square one and usually going for a lower caliber player. Getting a couple on the board along side Thompson in the next few months will have me more at ease with it.
I think you’ve missed my point but no worries. Let’s see what unfolds.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
All you do is complain about everyone else being negative yet all you do is attack everyone else on here calling them idiots, cry babies and whingers.. Seems pretty negative to me..

Back to your point about cap space... Sure we've had limited cap space for years.. But we've still signed dozens of players over the past three seasons and still have cap space this year, right now as well as three squad spots...

So to say that the club couldn't have signed a hooker over the last three seasons because they didn't have cap space just isn't true. Obviously we couldn't recruit a bunch of stars because of cap restrictions, but we easily could have recruited Robson, Grant, Brailey etc. Napa would have cost us twice as much as those guys would have cost.

So before you get all worked up, this isn't an attack or a whinge, it's an opinion on whether the club could have done better in recruiting a hooker.. I eagerly await you hitting the disagree button.
You used to be a good poster mate but have just turned into a sook. I hope all is ok with you.
Do you really believe the club hasn’t tried to sign a hooker? If you do I can tell you that you are very wrong. We can’t force players to sign with us. We were left in the worst position in memory, it’s not like flicking a switch back to normality

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you’ve missed my point but no worries. Let’s see what unfolds.
You said there's a strategy in place and then dodged around it saying people were lathered up about no signings in November so not sure what point I have missed. Anyway lets wait and see.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
break the bank get a world class halfback no nice guys or backrowers

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You said there's a strategy in place and then dodged around it saying people were lathered up about no signings in November so not sure what point I have missed. Anyway lets wait and see.
Not dodging. Nice diversion though :-). Maybe you want to re-read a few things. Catch you later.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You used to be a good poster mate but have just turned into a sook. I hope all is ok with you.
Do you really believe the club hasn’t tried to sign a hooker? If you do I can tell you that you are very wrong. We can’t force players to sign with us. We were left in the worst position in memory, it’s not like flicking a switch back to normality
Haha. See? Again with the unprovoked personal attacks.. Who's sooking? Here I am trying to have a civil conversation and you're the one carrying on..

No, I do believe they tried. We know they tried to sign Api and it fell through. I know for a fact they were negotiating with Robson and Grant early last season and both went elsewhere. So that proves they had cap space to sign a hooker but couldn't seal the deal with three good options.

Meanwhile we're left with JMK who isn't a First Grade hooker. If anything it's more concerning that they tried to sign hookers but couldn't land one. Hopefully we land one soon that is a long term solution.

Anyway, I'm done going back and forth with people on here. Enjoy attacking everyone else on here.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haha. See? Again with the unprovoked personal attacks.. Who's sooking? Here I am trying to have a civil conversation and you're the one carrying on..

No, I do believe they tried. We know they tried to sign Api and it fell through. I know for a fact they were negotiating with Robson and Grant early last season and both went elsewhere. So that proves they had cap space to sign a hooker but couldn't seal the deal with three good options.

Meanwhile we're left with JMK who isn't a First Grade hooker. If anything it's more concerning that they tried to sign hookers but couldn't land one. Hopefully we land one soon that is a long term solution.

Anyway, I'm done going back and forth with people on here. Enjoy attacking everyone else on here.
It’s no personal attack, just what I’ve noticed. It sounds like you’re agreeing with me. I said we had tried when others I replied to said we hadn’t even tried to buy a hooker. Cheers

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
break the bank get a world class halfback no nice guys or backrowers
I 100% agree as well which is why although it turned to shit they bought Foran originally (albeit hoping he would come good health wise..). It can be a half, 5/8 or gun fullback that has ball playing ability and a kick, just must or will be S.O.O standard or better. Thats what we should target if we haven't already, steal someone elses player for a change.

Except, no fuckwits or dickheads.
  • Xerri=fuckwit drug cheat and guess where from... Cheatulla
  • Lattrell Mitchel = lazy fat fuck who rolls out the indigenious card whenever he fucks up
  • Cody Walker = wannbe MMA
  • Josh Dugan = all of the above
  • Mitchell Pierce = Dog Whisperer
  • Flanagan = Stay at St George you cheating flog
  • Etc. Etc...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For sure we are a distant third in line. It’s why the Tigers deal is such good thinking they have put themselves in the box seat to get him. The Storm have shown in the past they will just release players if they aren’t happy so I think I think he’s a big chance to stay at the Tigers. A bit of thinking outside the square from the Tigers and they may have solved the hardest piece of the puzzle to get.
It may end up depending on how he gets on with hard arse Maguire, players either love him or hate him. He's used to Bellamy so he might enjoy it, let's wait and see.

Go Dogs

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But how much cap space did we have if we couldn’t seal the deal with these 3 hookers? There are a lot of factors that both sides have to agree on the main one would be do I want to move to Bankstown to live and play? Not everyone would want to do that when they have other options and if they don’t have a connection with the club to begin with your offer better blow the others out of the water. It’s good to see we were targeting 3 good options for hooker. Maybe all is not lost for recruitment as they can identify talent if that’s the case.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But how much cap space did we have if we couldn’t seal the deal with these 3 hookers? There are a lot of factors that both sides have to agree on the main one would be do I want to move to Bankstown to live and play? Not everyone would want to do that when they have other options and if they don’t have a connection with the club to begin with your offer better blow the others out of the water. It’s good to see we were targeting 3 good options for hooker. Maybe all is not lost for recruitment as they can identify talent if that’s the case.
A chunk of Dogs players live in the Shire these days - trying to mix lifestyle with the drive to training etc. Don’t know how many live in the CB area these days. But I agree with you, money needs to be a significant part of the equation which is precisely what we’ve had so little of in the past couple of years.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The big factor over the past 2 years has definitely been the cap space.

Whilst it’s true that we’ve been in the hunt for the aforementioned hookers, we haven’t been in a position to offer top dollar, or perhaps that necessary little bit of overs to get a deal over the line. There’s been a very thin margin between a contract that constitutes financial sense or financial stress.

Geographics, lack of quality on the roster as well as not being an immediate premiership winning hope all come into play to some extent. But it’s gonna come down almost purely to the dollars for 95% of players on the market.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think that our location as a club is a main factor at all,
A player can live anywhere in Sydney, a lot of our current roster live in the Shire.
The only need to attend Belmore is training and the odd game.
ANZ/ BankWest is were the majority of the games are being played at.
There is surely bigger factors to consider before signing
Perhaps money

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A chunk of Dogs players live in the Shire these days - trying to mix lifestyle with the drive to training etc. Don’t know how many live in the CB area these days. But I agree with you, money needs to be a significant part of the equation which is precisely what we’ve had so little of in the past couple of years.
You know everybody loves the Shire lol
The people that live there call it gods country!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its not hard to sign players. All you need is money. Sadly the players that are available just wont accept Monopoly money.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just having a look at what we have to work with next year. We have 17 confirmed for 2021 which will be 18 once Wakeham's re-signing is official.

Contracted past 2020.

NRL Top 30

Jake Averillo (2021)
Dean Britt (2021)
Christian Crichton (2021)
Will Hopoate (2021)
Josh Jackson (2023)
Sione Katoa (2021)
Lachlan Lewis (2021)
Jeremy Marshall-King (2021)
Nick Meaney (2021)
Dylan Napa (2021)
Ofahiki Ogden (2021)
Chris Smith (2021)
Reimis Smith (2021)
Joe Stimson (2022)
Luke Thompson (2023)
Renouf To'omaga (2021)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (2023)

Juniors signed past 2020 currently not in NRL squad

Jackson Topine (2022)
James Roumanos (2021)
Tuipulotu Katoa (2021)
Matt Doorey (2021) - unconfirmed but has been upgraded in to the top 30 for the rest of 2020

Rumored signings

Brandon Wakeham (2023)

Rumoured negotiations

Adam Elliott
Kieran Foran
John Bateman

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apparently he’s expected to re-sign at the Broncos over the next few weeks according to NRL 360 tonight.
How the fudge can they fit him in
They got milf, Isaako, Arthur’s and one other kid I can’t remember all vying for fullback.

Isaako is another id look at it the broncs side niu then