Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Your missing the point, we need a big body prop that's going to lead us forward,carry defenders and generate momentum. Thompson so far in his career has not been this forward yet it looks like we've signed him to play this role. Napa can't do it, To'omaga is a benchie and underdeveloped...we simply don't have anyone to fulfill this role and keep adding forwards of the same mould over and over again.

So yes I'm happy to have him, but does he solve enough key issues for us? Imo no.
I'm not missing the point mate I just don't agree. We will have a fine front row.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not missing the point mate I just don't agree. We will have a fine front row.
The front row is the least of our worries for 2021. Our backs and spine need to be addressed and we need to inject x-factor in these positions. Overall there isn't many options left to the point where it's pretty easy to narrow it down to the players we should be targeting (Milford, Cotric/JAC - I don't think we'll be able to get Cotric personally, Friend and Jamil Hopoate). With what's available if these aren't the types of names we're bringing in for 2021 (possibly contracted players too could increase the player pool) I think a lot of fans are going to be unhappy.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure Thompson has alot to deliver, but I trust the club made a wise decision to bring him here and are positive that he can be a success.

We chased him hard and were not the only ones which has to say something of his calibre.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sure Thompson has alot to deliver, but I trust the club made a wise decision to bring him here and are positive that he can be a success.

We chased him hard and were not the only ones which has to say something of his calibre.
Thompson will be a breath of fresh air from Tolman. Has the pommy competitiveness and imo is going to be better in every area bar how many minutes he can play (and from what I've heard he possibly has a big motor too). Dynamic prop with pace. The best forward in England coming to us can only be positive (English forwards transition better than backs and halves). The only thing is going to be can he perform to the rumoured price tag (some players around the same rumoured amount are: Klemmer, Lodge and Paulo). Like you said there was other competition for his signature which bumped his price up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I don't trust the club in the slightest. DWZ @ FB, Smith @ centre, Lewis extension before a ball was kicked and gifted the HB spot, etc.

No doubt Thompson is a great athlete but he's another forward type that is suited to playing a supporting role and doing same damage on later carries.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also need centers for this season, Young Tonumaipea was on the market and was signed to the Titian’s. Ffs are we even looking for anyone before June 30? We need to replace second row and winger. Come on Pay and associates, show us some kind of leadership.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have said before I like Dean.
Having said that though,I believe he lacks effective communication skills.
I base this on the interviews he undertakes with the media.
I also like mick Ennis,his communication skills are second to none and hence should be recruited asap on the coaching staff, understand he devised the game plans for Canberra last year.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mick is like Anasta. An ex player that has an axe to grind with the dogs and shows it in commentary. They have kicked us when we are down so I am not a fan of either.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He only spoke the truth in the hasler days, he only spoke the truth with our attack in the pay days.
The guy is a leader and a true bulldog in my eyes and should never had been let go.
We could do worse
I would rather him, than a Bennett or a Maguire.
Unless of course its Bellamy.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Mick Ennis even available for us? He was a champion player and is a champion bloke. Our attack suffered when he didn’t play, hence y Souths beat us in the GF. Hasler was a wanker and never should have pushed him out.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure he would take up the offer as a head coach.
Keep pay in some capacity.
Just the way ennis analyses a came is quite captivating.
We need a leader a good communicator and a new voice if things don't pan out with pay
He only spoke the truth in the hasler days, he only spoke the truth with our attack in the pay days.
The guy is a leader and a true bulldog in my eyes and should never had been let go.
We could do worse
I would rather him, than a Bennett or a Maguire.
Unless of course its Bellamy.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our coach for 2021 will need to be finalised soon

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't consider myself an apologist, but a realist.
Firstly I do think we'll get some good signings for 2021 to be announced after 30 June - but let's leave that aside for now.
If we don't get some decent signings - the first question to ask is why - it's not money - so what is the message players are sending - would they not sign because of the coach?
If that is the message, clearly that's an alarming signal the board/club could not ignore.
I'm not convinced that's happening, but remains to be seen.
The second question is who is the alternative coaching wise? I've seen lots of suggestions including Flanagan (2022 onwards), Bennett, Bellamy and even bringing back Griffin.
I don't think any of them are particularly realistic, but who knows.
Is Ben Anderson still on his way through? There would be cries of nepotism for sure if that happened.
Personally I think Pay will probably coach in 2021 with an improved roster. I'm not saying I want this, I just can't see a credible alternative available at this point.
So let's say he gets a 1 year or even 1+1 (club's favour) extension.
If Pay cannot make a substantially improved roster fire in 2021 - then of course he has to be replaced. As much as I don't want Flanagan and think Bennett's best days are behind him - they are both available for 2022.
All of the pieces need to fit...
There are a lot of current NRL coaches off contract at the end of 2021, 8 in fact. So there is some logic in holding out on signing a new coach until a demonstrably/proven good one is available.

Personally I'm watching how Holbrook goes at the Titans, if he lifts their standards (I don't expect miracles) then he might well be a good option.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There are a lot of current NRL coaches off contract at the end of 2021, 8 in fact. So there is some logic in holding out on signing a new coach until a demonstrably/proven good one is available.

Personally I'm watching how Holbrook goes at the Titans, if he lifts their standards (I don't expect miracles) then he might well be a good option.

Go Dogs
Agree no change for the sake of change. Holbrook definitely one to watch.

Many called for him last year and he certainly seems to tick some key boxes but yet to prove himself in the NRL.

A bunch of coaches had success in England and didn’t set the NRL on fire. I was more than happy for the Titans to be his test bed. If he can polish that turd he shows great promise but then he’ll also be in higher demand.

Need to look at the others off contract for 2022. I don’t think Bellamy is realistic...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree no change for the sake of change. Holbrook definitely one to watch.
Many called for him last year and he certainly seems to tick some key boxes but yet to prove himself in the NRL.
A bunch of coaches had success in England and didn’t set the NRL on fire. I was more than happy for the Titans to be his test bed. If he can polish that turd he shows great promise but then he’ll also be in higher demand.
Need to look at the others off contract for 2022. I don’t think Bellamy is realistic...
Ah, Bellamy, I challenged him once at a press conference/meet and greet about not being recognised as a coaching great because at Melbourne he had 4 or so future immortals. That he wouldn't ever get the recognition that he deserves until he took a mid tier team and turned them into premiers. He told me to EFFOFF, which means it must have hit home. Maybe he might just take up the challenge in 2022.

Go Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.