Pay Admits Time Running Out

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m glad he realizes his time is all but up. So long, farewell, don’t let the door hit your ass as you’re leaving Pay!

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club extends him for 1 year fair enough but if they extend him for 2 that's a big strike against the board as far as I'm concerned. For what possible reason would we need to make it 2 years. There's no chance in the world any other club is thinking of poaching Pay on his record so far.
Well we will have missed the first half of the season so with your theory we should be in the finals this year.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disruptive season hard to gauge got the gun pommy comming in 21 hopefully a few good signings in the pipeline I’d give him 21 then decide but we do need a good attack coach defensively I’m happy

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really think we should go hard for bellyache hes done everything at the storm high achievers always want new challenges,its not as far fetched as it sounds but if we dont even try its not a chance

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Give Pay a 12mth extension only.
While Pay hasn't set the world on fire he probably just gets a pass mark. If not for covid 19 we'd have a much better idea of the coaching situation, however from a coaching point of view a 12 month extension for Pay could be a blessing in disguise.
Off contract coaches at the end of 2020:
Dean Pay
Off contract coaches at the end of 2021:
Bellamy
Bennett
Flanagan
Arthur
Hasler
Holbrook
McGuire
Morris
I'll take Michael McGuire please

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks he deserves another 12 months are kidding themselves. We have started the season again at 0-2. Pay needs to throw in the towel, we were never even in the fight against the Cowboys who are not a top 4 and probs not even a top 8 side.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had to roll my eyes when Pay started talking about continuity lol... He made so many unnecessary changes over the years most surrounding R.Smith.

Imagine he didn’t try things when we were losing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were nominated by the “experts” to win the spoon in 2018 based on our playing squad. But we exceeded their expectations and finished equal 12th on games won.

In 2019 we were again nominated by the “experts” to win the spoon based on our playing squad. But we exceeded their expectations and finished equal 11th on games won.

I don’t believe that we can ignore the above, some credit therefore must be allocated to the coaching staff for us overachieving.

Of course we demand more, but 2018/19/20 are different seasons than we have faced in our past. Previously we have been able to add players to fill obvious deficiencies, but this time around we haven’t been able to do that. Fortunately this stops this year and next year the Salary Cap handcuffs are off. Signing Thompson is a good start, looking forward to what’s next.

Go Dogs
12th placed is overachieving? Some people really will spin anything to blindly support Pay. Here's some perspective for you...

2018 we were 8-16. We finished a whopping 14 competition points behind the 8th placed Warriors and finished with the same competition points as 13th and 14th placed Nth Qld and the Titans.

2019 we finished 10-14. We were 3 points from 8th placed Brisbane who only had 25 competition points compared to the Warriors the year before who had 32 in 8th place. Brisbane also lost their final by 50 plus points. We also were only four points above 15th and were last or second last for two thirds of the season.

Last season we had the 2nd worst for and against with -155 (generally a good indication of the performance of a team over a season) and averaged a measly 13.6 points a game in attack which was worst in the comp by a mile, 4 points per game less than the season before in year two under the same coach.

2020 we had the same issues as the first two seasons and continued to look a mess in attack. Yet considering all of the above, you still maintain that we've "overachieved" with Pay at the helm?

Last edited:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a little out of date, which other coaches had to play two to three million under the salary cap? Which other coaches went into the season with a squad expected to come bottom four (and even worse)? That graph doesn't really mean anything. Pay up until now has met the realistic expectations that were set for our team before a ball was kicked.
It does if you divide where we finished at the end of the regular season as a percentage of total teams in the competition.

It does when you can see in a different colour when we missed the finals .

Also I think we should also try to flatten the curve of the downward trend since 2012 with a change in direction of styled played to an attacking game plan.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disruptive season hard to gauge got the gun pommy comming in 21 hopefully a few good signings in the pipeline I’d give him 21 then decide but we do need a good attack coach defensively I’m happy
2018, 2019 not disruptive seasons. We started winning games after our seasons were all but finished. We need to win games at the start of a season to be anywhere near a top 8 side.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only stat that matters to me is that every coach we had since 1980 made or won a GF except for KMoore who came pretty close.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay can only now be judged on his ability or inability to attract new marquee players !
In saying that, after 3 years the management should have a fair clue if he is or isn't the coach to take us back to the summit.
If his presence is causing problems recruiting marquee players, unfortunately for him the hard decision must be made !!!
Why did we unnecessarily extended his contract for 1 year before ???

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It does matter who coaches us now. For fuk sake sign Flanagan for 2 years ...we need a high profile coach with the ability to attract quality players. Players like Fifita would never consider our club if they could sign with another team with a more high profile coach.
Didn't we just sign a high profile player by the name of Thompson? Im sick of seeing Flanagans name tossed up personally.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
View attachment 14517

Note that throughout the past 50 years, the following coaches were replaced after not making the finals series: Hagan, Clift, Ryan, Gould, Folkes, Moore & Hasler.

The following coaches were only given an extra year after not making the finals series: Glossip & Anderson.

Yet Pay remains the only coach in the last 50 years retained after not making the finals series for 2 consecutive years.
Interesting. I guess we can thank the shithole that Dib, castle and hasler left us in for this.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
the season being suspended is a blessing, means Shane Flanagan will be available without the pain of watching us score 6-12 points a game for the rest of the year
Shane Flanagan will be the Dragons head coach soon regardless of how Paul McGregor pulls them out of a none from two start to the season, the writing was on the wall for Mary the moment Flanagan was signed as an assistant, then you have their best player Tyson Frizell signing with Newcastle and openly declaring the switch is not money related but because “he wants to win a premiership before he retires”! If your best player defects to another club for the same money he’s already on at his current club, that to me speaks loud and clear that he has zero faith in Mary’s coaching and ability to win a premiership under his tutelage. Lastly, for the final nail in Mary’s coffin, Shane Flanagan was an ex Dragons player so he already understands the culture at the club... need I say more?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
12th placed is overachieving? Some people really will spin anything to blindly support Pay. Here's some perspective for you...

2018 we were 8-16. We finished a whopping 14 competition points behind the 8th placed Warriors and finished with the same competition points as 13th and 14th placed Nth Qld and the Titans.

2019 we finished 10-14. We were 3 points from 8th placed Brisbane who only had 25 competition points compared to the Warriors the year before who had 32 in 8th place. Brisbane also lost their final by 50 plus points. We also were only four points above 15th and were last or second last for two thirds of the season.

Last season we had the 2nd worst for and against with -155 (generally a good indication of the performance of a team over a season) and averaged a measly 13.6 points a game in attack which was worst in the comp by a mile, 4 points per game less than the season before in year two under the same coach.

2020 we had the same issues as the first two seasons and continued to look a mess in attack. Yet considering all of the above, you still maintain that we've "overachieved" with Pay at the helm?
Yeaaaaaaaah...we finished 12th 2019 !!!
We should have thrown a Ticker tape parade :disrelieved:
End of 1978 we lost the whole team, yes the whole team.
Someone forgot to tell Ted ( who ) Glossop and his babies.
They played the grand final 1979. Then Won the 1980 grand final !!!
NO EXCUSES...They believed !!!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This mofo had better not get an extension. We are never going to even be a top 8 team, let alone premiership contenders with him at the helm.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan will be the Dragons head coach soon regardless of how Paul McGregor pulls them out of a none from two start to the season, the writing was on the wall for Mary the moment Flanagan was signed as an assistant, then you have their best player Tyson Frizell signing with Newcastle and openly declaring the switch is not money related but because “he wants to win a premiership before he retires”! If your best player defects to another club for the same money he’s already on at his current club, that to me speaks loud and clear that he has zero faith in Mary’s coaching and ability to win a premiership under his tutelage. Lastly, for the final nail in Mary’s coffin, Shane Flanagan was an ex Dragons player so he already understands the culture at the club... need I say more?
I'd agree it's highly likely Flanagan is being groomed for Kogarah and Mary must be able to see the writing on the wall.
The question is can Mary last until 2022 when Flanagan is allowed to be a head coach again. I don't really care as it doesn't affect our club - I just hope the Dogs would never consider hiring Flanagan.
I would vote against any board that thought that was a good move for our club.