Jayden Okunbor to appeal NRL deregistration for schoolgirl sex scandal

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It will interesting to see on what grounds the Bulldogs sacked them on because going off the statement it says as a result of the deregistering they cancelled their contracts.

So its similar to a truck driver getting done for drink driving and losing his licence. He wouldn't get fired for the drink driving but he would get fired for not having a licence.

It will open a big can of worms if they successfully appeal.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It will interesting to see on what grounds the Bulldogs sacked them on because going off the statement it says as a result of the deregistering they cancelled their contracts.

So its similar to a truck driver getting done for drink driving and losing his licence. He wouldn't get fired for the drink driving but he would get fired for not having a licence.

It will open a big can of worms if they successfully appeal.
Agree. The club can't employ them (as players) if the NRL won't register the contract.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. The club can't employ them (as players) if the NRL won't register the contract.
Do we re-instate them if they win? It will be very interesting to see what happens.

bulldogs2015

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just hard to take the NRL seriously with this when we have police bashers, wife bashers, prisoners and players that should be in prison still playing our game.
Maybe this kid should rip into them and bring this up with the nrl and the club so we as fans can see why is it only our club the cops a hiding for all this crap that goes on

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do we re-instate them if they win? It will be very interesting to see what happens.
Not sure about that. If they win and are eligible to be registered for another contract it may be the club's choice as to whether or not they want to employ them again.
Or perhaps the players might feel they don't want to return and put themselves on the open market.
As you say, will be interesting to see and I agree with that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe this kid should rip into them and bring this up with the nrl and the club so we as fans can see why is it only our club the cops a hiding for all this crap that goes on
Civil matters and criminal matters are two different things.
I suspect any hearing will only deal with the facts around this case and nothing else.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everything is appeal-able in NSW but I don't like his chances.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that. If they win and are eligible to be registered for another contract it may be the club's choice as to whether or not they want to employ them again.
Or perhaps the players might feel they don't want to return and put themselves on the open market.
As you say, will be interesting to see and I agree with that.
Yeah there’s so many things to factor in. There is also their contract amounts because say they get registered again they will no doubt take a hair cut on the new deals because of what happened so that might factor in them wanting to get re-instated on their old deals. Probably not much point worrying about it until we reach that point I guess.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Civil matters and criminal matters are two different things.
I suspect any hearing will only deal with the facts around this case and nothing else.
You think? Lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You think? Lol
Well mate, based on some of the posts here you’d think that every past indiscretion by every other player should be brought into this matter.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wow....just wow. I could understand if CHN appealed....even though I think the sanction was fair enough.....but Okunbor? Just wow. Grow up, man child.
Can you tell me why the condemnation of JO and not CHN. How is it different if they were both "SchoolGirls", is you view obscured because you feel the CHN is more valued as a player.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And CHN knowingly had sex with a schoolgirl.
Think he's basing it on JO apparently knowing the kid he slept with was from the school he was just at. Whereas apparently CHN wasn't at the school. However, this is all based on conjecture as none of us knows the details.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And CHN knowingly had sex with a schoolgirl.

there are reports that suggest he was not at the school, and also that he either met a girl at her work, or on Tinder, chances are he did not know she was a school girl

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just for clarity - there’s no court involvement as it’s a civil not criminal matter. It will be heard by the NRL Appeals Committee, which is headed by a QC.
It's puzzling
We all know...The law is the law !!!
I know Dumb & Dumber let Canterbury, the game and most of all themselves down.
I fully understand the complications of their act !
But is their punishment fair considering the history of some players playing the game now ???
After all, they didn't break the law of the land.
Fairly they should be punished !
The NRL shouldn't make scapegoat out of them !

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It's puzzling
We all know...The law is the law !!!
I know Dumb & Dumber let Canterbury, the game and most of all themselves down.
I fully understand the complications of their act !
But is their punishment fair considering the history of some players playing the game now ???
After all, they didn't break the law of the land.
Fairly they should be punished !
The NRL shouldn't make scapegoat out of them !
3rd time - revised code of conduct in 2018/19 off season. Hence Barba punishment

A

Alexander the Great

Adam Elliots incident happened after the 18/19 revised code of conduct.

Can you explain why he was not sacked for a criminal offence?

Thank you @Nasheed
3rd time - revised code of conduct in 2018/19 off season. Hence Barba punishment

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Adam Elliots incident happened after the 18/19 revised code of conduct.

Can you explain why he was not sacked for a criminal offence?

Thank you @Nasheed
No it didn't - Elliot incident happened in September 2018.
Barba happened in January 2019.
New rules came into effect in the 2018/2019 off-season - between the two incidents - specifically, 1 November 2018.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just for clarity - there’s no court involvement as it’s a civil not criminal matter. It will be heard by the NRL Appeals Committee, which is headed by a QC.
For now... Easily has a case for unfair dismissal, can argue it's an 'offence' that only warranted a minor club suspension / fine and not NRL tearing up their registration. I'd say they would front the appeal with this intent.