Jayden Okunbor to appeal NRL deregistration for schoolgirl sex scandal

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL has received an appeal from sacked Canterbury Bulldogs player Jayden Okunbor in relation to his sacking over the schoolgirl sex incident in Port Macquarie last month.

Okunbor, as well as Bulldogs teammate Corey Harawira-Naera, were last week deregistered by the NRL for bringing schoolgirls back to the team hotel during the club's preseason trip to Port Macquarie.

Okunbor has this week appealed the NRL's decision, despite meeting the girl during a visit to the school on the same day she visited him at the hotel and engaged in consensual sex.

The appeals committee, led by Ian Callinan QC, will discuss the matter in the coming weeks.

The pair were initially handed show-cause notices by the NRL and had several weeks to put forward their respective cases, however the NRL deemed their behaviour to be "very serious breaches" of the game's code of conduct.

"The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct," NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said.

"The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled. This decision should send a very clear message to all players of our stance on such behaviour."

In a statement, the Bulldogs supported the NRL's call to cancel the pair's contracts, effective immediately.

"Our club acted swiftly and was proactive in relation to the incidents in accordance with the expectations of our club and the NRL guidelines," the statement read.

"Accordingly, our club fully supports the determination made by the NRL in defence of the reputation of our game and the conduct of the majority of players who represent their respective clubs in the right way."

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good luck..... IMO CHN was the only one going by all reports that was hard done by.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think chn was also delisted to kill the issue, but think his punishment was a bit harsh, but understand why, he should get an extra 4 weeks for that tik tok video!
Corey should be allowed to come back 2021, still prefer him in our colours.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the game won’t tolerate such conduct from players, why then would they ever be allowed to play In this code again? yet we all know they will be signed by other clubs an they will be back playing nrl again, if it doesn’t die of corse .!!

it was very silly behaviour, by both. But sacking, de registration.. not convinced it will hold up.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just hard to take the NRL seriously with this when we have police bashers, wife bashers, prisoners and players that should be in prison still playing our game.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I don't care about the NRL... they have had more than enough time to prove just how incompetent they are.

What I care about however is my club. As long as they are sacked and stay away from our club, it will teach future potential boof heads a lesson... either grow up or you will get sacked.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They both should appeal going on previous NRL cases. Consensual sex bad violence good according the the NRL & that's fucked up.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good on him for appealing. The courts will decide now finally if it was the right call or not. As much as i dont like him as a player, i really hope he beats it. Thats my 2c

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good on him for appealing. The courts will decide now finally if it was the right call or not. As much as i dont like him as a player, i really hope he beats it. Thats my 2c
Just for clarity - there’s no court involvement as it’s a civil not criminal matter. It will be heard by the NRL Appeals Committee, which is headed by a QC.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From reading this I think the appeal will be heard by the NRL appeals Committee.

If he loses that then he has to go to Fairwork Australia or to the Industrial Relations Court (If it still exists).

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just for clarity - there’s no court involvement as it’s a civil not criminal matter. It will be heard by the NRL Appeals Committee, which is headed by a QC.
You beat me to it.

I should learn to type faster.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Wow....just wow. I could understand if CHN appealed....even though I think the sanction was fair enough.....but Okunbor? Just wow. Grow up, man child.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Just hard to take the NRL seriously with this when we have police bashers, wife bashers, prisoners and players that should be in prison still playing our game.
Nasheed here,
Please remember before such a comment the revised code of conduct in the 2018/2019 off season where they said from here on in there's no more fucking about

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see where this is headed....They’ll probably both be cleared to play for another club next season and out of this whole sorry situation the media slant will be how harsh the treatment the bulldogs dished out and lack of support. Fucking joke!

I’m tipping both guys at The Roosters next year

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Still not sure why ppl think the punishment for chn should be any different to Okunbor. They had the same breach

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting but expected next step from JO. This is his livelihood so of course wouldn't want to go down without a fight. Who can blame him for at least trying?

Strange there's nothing on CHN on this but no doubt his appeal will follow which is only fair. They've got the right to do it and good luck to them.

It's not what the club needs but at same time they need to acknowledge that the players have every right to do it and support them in whichever way they can.

Will he win his appeal? I'd be surprised considering how much the NRL and club has put into this including extending their hearing time. What result do I want? The right one, which I believe the club and NRL has made