Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/world/coro...-release/e381619e-bf20-441a-8c6e-ffffe678f1ef

What happens when a once-rejected dystopian novel turns into reality? Ask Scottish author Peter May.

The screenwriter-turned-novelist wrote a book titled "Lockdown" in 2005 about a global pandemic. Fifteen years later, that's our reality due to coronavirus, which has so far infected more than 1 million people globally.

The book, which was rejected by publishers at the time for being too unrealistic, was finally published on Thursday.

The thriller is set in London, the epicenter of a global pandemic that forces officials to institute a lockdown.

The story isn't entirely based on May's imagination.

He used British and US pandemic preparedness documents from 2002 to make it was as realistic as possible.

"At the time I wrote the book, scientists were predicting that bird flu was going to be the next major world pandemic," May told CNN.

"It was a very, very scary thing and it was a real possibility, so I put a lot of research into it and came up with the idea, what if this pandemic began in London?

What could happen if a city like that was completely locked down?"Bird flu and coronavirus are very different, but the lockdown scenario hits close to home for millions of people currently self-isolating to prevent the virus from spreading.

His current publisher hopes that familiarity will appeal to a wide audience.

Years ago, publishers dismissed the novel as "extremely unrealistic and unreasonable," May said.

So he put the book on the back burner and eventually forgot he even wrote it.That was until a fan on Twitter asked him to write a book set against the backdrop of the coronavirus.

"I thought about it for a minute before I realised that I've kind of already done it," May said.

"I told my publisher about it and my editor just about fell out of his chair. He read the entire book overnight and the next morning he said, 'This is brilliant. We need to publish this now.'"

"Lockdown," available only on Amazon UK, is being sold in Kindle format and will be available as a paperback and audiobook on April 30.
May, 68, said he is in the age group most vulnerable to the coronavirus and stands in support of a lockdown.

However, he was "extremely creeped out" by how eerily similar the book is to life today."

When I read it again for the first time since I wrote the book, I was shocked at just how spookily accurate it was," he said.

"The everyday details of how you get through life, the way the lockdown works, people being forbidden to leave their homes. It's all scarily accurate."
Might be something to read while in lockdown. Actually talking of reading, i went through my book collection of novels i have and started reading again. I cannot remember the last time i picked up a novel to read, it's got to be many years ago. I was once an avid reader of novels but for some reason i just stopped.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Might be something to read while in lockdown. Actually talking of reading, i went through my book collection of novels i have and started reading again. I cannot remember the last time i picked up a novel to read, it's got to be many years ago. I was once an avid reader of novels but for some reason i just stopped.
May I suggest reading 1984 by George Orwell.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Me too MD..I just stopped.. I suggest The Martian by Andy Weir!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yesterday PM sounds all optimistic...

What's in July, but hasn't been cancelled like everything else? Only another Hillsong conference of course.

He must be sweating.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
When we do things like have kids, work gets busier or something else is squeezing our time, reading is one of those things we easily let go, but can be hard to get back into. I also miss a good book.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
When we do things like have kids, work gets busier or something else is squeezing our time, reading is one of those things we easily let go, but can be hard to get back into. I also miss a good book.
True that mate, that's what I'd put it down to. Life being busy and when you get spare time I obviously use it for other things. Now with pretty much isolating myself and only going to work I now spend more time at home which has now opened up opportunity of more spare time. Hence why I went through my book collection. Trying to find different things to entertain myself.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well at least a positive.

I am an avid sci- fi fan and I have started re watching my old B grade movies from yesteryear. Day the Earth Stood Still ( not the lame remake but the original) ; Time Machine, From the Earth to the Moon.

Also like Vincent Price and have most of his movies.

Have lots of crime novels too and like James Patterson, P D James and bacvk to sci fi thriller etc. Robin Cook.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This sums up the politics talk very well...

And this sums up the lockdown...

AND... there it is............Hopefully there are fewer jack asses than those that know and understand danger.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
AND... there it is............Hopefully there are fewer jack asses than those that know and understand danger.
I found it very fitting for today's world order...

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Reading is great. IMO a great novel is more interesting than a great film. Love laying in bed on a rainy night reading a good book (would swap it for a nymphomaniac with nipples like door-stops but you make do with whatever you've got at hand lol).
Dean R Koontz and the Les Norton series would be amongst my favourites.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well at least a positive.

I am an avid sci- fi fan and I have started re watching my old B grade movies from yesteryear. Day the Earth Stood Still ( not the lame remake but the original) ; Time Machine, From the Earth to the Moon.

Also like Vincent Price and have most of his movies.

Have lots of crime novels too and like James Patterson, P D James and bacvk to sci fi thriller etc. Robin Cook.
I am a fan of sci-fi and crime as well. Sci-fi wise i am more into the Cyberpunk style, about futuristic dystopia or post apocalyptic compared to say, Star Trek style sci-fi.

Crime wise, anything goes really. Though i do like noir style.

I also like Fantasy style, Medievil times etc.

Last edited:

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Give the kids a free pass off the beach because they are just following their idiot parents, but then fuck yeah load up those rocket tubes and fire away! Those things would've put the shits up the enemy that's for sure.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To keep yourself entertained during isolation, take some advice from Chumbawumba:

Screenshot_20200405-171404_Facebook.jpg

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
it is what it is, you and I know prayer works.. some people just don't like the idea of something being greater than themselves
For most atheists they also have something greater than themselves. It's just the vastness of the universe that they see as greater than themselves.

It's an interesting difference between the religious and the non-religious. The religious see God as the larger picture and humans as God's chosen, special creatures. While atheists see the vastness of the universe and realise that while significant, we're just a spec of sand in a billion oceans.

Regardless of your belief, there's always something greater than yourself.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Fuck I hate people , good the cops handed 77k of times out in 1 hit
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...ive-coverage/905afffa8fc784b68a4fdcdf90380b1c
Problem is these dickheads will just claim they are too lacking in funds to pay them and probably get away with it.
The refugees protesting should be forced into the "better alternative" of being shipped back from where they illegally came from and take their chances back there.
Hope that filth that spat in the policeman's face had his teeth smashed out by the copper's torch or baton. Scabby vermin bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.