News Canterbury Bulldogs send coaching staff home without pay, other NRL clubs expected to follow

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which company do you work for?
Getting stood down without pay is pretty routine at the minute I work in aviation as an engineer and we have been hit hard. Pretty much all the casual staff have been laid off and it’s just lucky I have long service leave up my sleeve. If the planes don’t fly I don’t get paid and I guess it’s the same if you work in footy when there’s no games well expect if you’re a player.....

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro how long is the full lock down for in NZ? Was reading an article today saying spreading a lot slower in NZ?
4 weeks man, at the moment, starts at 11:59 Wednesday night, which is tonight as it’s already 1:40am here lol. And yes we’ve had 100 odd cases 40 in the last two days though

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
4 weeks man, at the moment, starts at 11:59 Wednesday night, which is tonight as it’s already 1:40am here lol. And yes we’ve had 100 odd cases 40 in the last two days though
Do sheep get Corona V?? ;)

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s alright I reckon we should do that 4 weeks hard out lock down will
Be tough but hopefully start lifting restrictions and putting the sport back on afterwards. NSW is getting over 100 a day atm..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Be tough but hopefully start lifting restrictions and putting the sport back on afterwards. NSW is getting over 100 a day atm..
Yea it’s spreading pretty quick down under, we just gotta hope we can contain it, an hope everyone does there part and most of all be kind to one another. not be selfish etc, if we actually all play by the rules then this thing will be over a lot quicker, then we can really slow the strain, all it takes is a few arrogant pricks who don’t listen to make it even worse.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem is that as soon as you lockdown coming off it will need some doing. The authorities will be asking at the end of 4 months "What's changed in this time?".

With Corona, it'll always be around until a vaccine is developed and also a treatment for those infected. Neither of those are going to happen in a month, so nothing will really change. Come off the lockdown and hopefully there'll be a low number of infections but that'll rise simply because people will be in more connection with each other. Natural that way imo?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s no guarantee that they will be receiving the full $1.2 million grants all the way through the year though. It would make sense to keep that up their sleeve to cover the upcoming months of salaries incase the grant money doesn’t come in.
True. There was talk on 2SM yesterday that the NRL might ask for funding from Fox and Ch.9 with the promise that they'll cut them a good deal for TV rights into the future.

That could mean the NRL will have to reduce the salary cap, and that could affect clubs with high paid players or back ended contracts. If the Dogs are looking at being cap compliant in 2021, we might be wise to sit on any spare cash and see who is being released by the other clubs.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really? No pay... sounds like bullshit. Where is the statement from the club "we can't pay our staff".

Pay cuts would be fair enough and this is probably one of the exceptions where backending a contract would be necessary.

This is about staff employed by the club and not the contracted players.

It states around 400 people in the article so that would also include all staff at the leagues club.
Going to be hard on all of them.

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s weird Brent reed did an articles saying how much your club pays it staff and football operations.. said we have about 32 million in the bank (5th richest club )

but in the courier mail they had us as no2 at 200 million while broncos were the top of around 400 being part owned by news limited .. don’t believe the media we never get shit written about us nicely , remember sharks and teams like the tigers have less than 10 million in the bank . We are going alright !

a club with our history will not be culled, if it comes down to it we should all do our best to chip in and help our club out, the fact chn and Okunbor did this shit before this all happened could be a bad look , the nrl doesn’t want to lose any teams but if they are struggling for money then they will not stray from cancelling one from what the telegraph says as it may project the chance to get a Brisbane team in early.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem is that as soon as you lockdown coming off it will need some doing. The authorities will be asking at the end of 4 months "What's changed in this time?".

With Corona, it'll always be around until a vaccine is developed and also a treatment for those infected. Neither of those are going to happen in a month, so nothing will really change. Come off the lockdown and hopefully there'll be a low number of infections but that'll rise simply because people will be in more connection with each other. Natural that way imo?

Once infected by a virus its near impossible to be reinfected, so once we have had a large portion of the population infected who have recovered then it would become harder to spread.

The thing that is being done is to prevent a rapid spread which will strain the health system causing preventable deaths. The human race has no option but to eventually get infected if we are to better deal with it, HERD IMMUNITY.
because its new and we don't have a natural defense the fast spread of the virus is a major concern. We do have treatment which is not much more than hospital care for it like every other virus which also claims lives of people with underlying issue. Vaccine will be developed to help reduce the number of hosts that can spread it.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Once infected by a virus its near impossible to be reinfected, so once we have had a large portion of the population infected who have recovered then it would become harder to spread.

The thing that is being done is to prevent a rapid spread which will strain the health system causing preventable deaths. The human race has no option but to eventually get infected if we are to better deal with it, HERD IMMUNITY.
because its new and we don't have a natural defense the fast spread of the virus is a major concern. We do have treatment which is not much more than hospital care for it like every other virus which also claims lives of people with underlying issue. Vaccine will be developed to help reduce the number of hosts that can spread it.
If they can confirm that’s the case with this virus I’d catch it early, self isolate for two weeks then go back to as normal as possible life

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea it’s spreading pretty quick down under, we just gotta hope we can contain it, an hope everyone does there part and most of all be kind to one another. not be selfish etc, if we actually all play by the rules then this thing will be over a lot quicker, then we can really slow the strain, all it takes is a few arrogant pricks who don’t listen to make it even worse.
Couldn’t agree more bro.. some people just aren’t taking it seriously enough...

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah it’s a tough one for sure I don’t know if we have the right answer. I just see what’s going on in NZ they seem to be controlling the spread a bit better than us. But for Australia it’s the crippling effect it is going to have on small business that’s why the PM is trying to keep the country going.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Not sure where you're getting that information about "once infected by a virus it's near impossible to be reinfected" from but it's not true. In addition to the fact that there've been an increasing number of documented cases of reinfection, the bigger issue is that the virus is continually mutating so even if we do find a vaccine by the end of the year it's entirely plausable that it won't have any affect on a patient because the strain of virus will be completely different. It already mutated between the first occurance in Wuhan till the peak of infection.

When looking at the 'herd immunity' .... gather you're suggesting that more and more people simply need to get it to build up resistance then I could agree with you to a degree rather than the herd immunity currently being talked about where very little is done to curb the hige rise in infected numbers. Would agree that this seems like the standard way when dealing with many such cases like chicken pox etc. Though not sure, becuause of mutation, whether this would mean much. And ... the costs in human lives we'd have to pay to get there

We do have hospital care. That's without doubt. But as you say we're looking to prevent a rapid spread to avoid the health system frmo crashing as we don't have enough sustainable care to treat the amount of patients that would come into hospitals without those current preventative measures that are taking place. We simply can't come off quarantine as we'll end up back where we started.

It's a hard one without doubt and I certainly don't know the answers. What I do know is that we're in for a very rough 3-4 months at least.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a tough one for sure I don’t know if we have the right answer. I just see what’s going on in NZ they seem to be controlling the spread a bit better than us. But for Australia it’s the crippling effect it is going to have on small business that’s why the PM is trying to keep the country going.
It's shit. Really shit. If I'm honest I really didn't expect or understand the potentially economic consequences of this outbreak, but it's becoming evident we're all going to be in for a few tough years at least. Businesses everywhere are going to get truly fucked.

Don't know the answer mate. Really don't. And don't hear enough talking about it either. From the powers that be that is.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dead right, some family’s will struggle to eat
Some will struggle to pay bills
Some will just get by

And these fucking clowns are sooking
Read that AFL players have already been paid approx 50% of their yearly wages. And they've been negotiating over the remainding 50% and have agreed to 50% of that. So does that mean they'll end up getting paid a total of 75% of their total yearly salary?

Tell you what. If that's true they should be ashamed of themselves. I agree that sportspeople have worked hard for their money and that this is just the nature of the beast. I understand that them getting paid more money is just the way it is.

But how many parents, families will be destroyed because a mother or father loses their job with ANY money. Fuck me. And these boys are crying about getting 75% of their total wage ....

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If they can confirm that’s the case with this virus I’d catch it early, self isolate for two weeks then go back to as normal as possible life
I can confirm that is the case but who is to say that you will be the one to survive. Remember there are many who have survived, it doesn't kill everyone infected.