News Holbrook wasn’t going to Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Incoming Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has opened up on the meeting with Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill that had many mistakenly believing he was holding out for a job at the Bulldogs.

Holbrook, who agreed a contract with the Titans earlier this week that will guarantee him at least two years at the helm of the struggling club, was spotted in talks with Hill when the Bulldogs chief executive flew to England recently.

That meeting prompted speculation he was being sounded out over his interest in replacing Dean Pay at the helm of the Bulldogs, where he once served as NSW Cup coach.

Holbrook insisted there was nothing untoward in the conversation and said at no point was he given the indication that the Bulldogs were looking to change their coach.

“All it was was just a conversation,” Holbrook said.

“Hilly was over here for a number of reasons, I just had a chat to him. At no stage did he say look, we are looking to change coaches.

“It was just a conversation and he asked me about what I was doing as a coach and how we were going. All those general questions.

“It was probably more speculation than anything.”

Holbrook has compiled a remarkable 80 per cent winning record since moving to Super League, his efforts at St Helens catching the eye of the Gold Coast.

He will join the club once his commitments with St Helens are over, most likely at the end of October. He will need to hit the ground running as the Titans attempt to drag themselves out of the cellar and secure their future on the Gold Coast.

“It impacts on everyone when speculation is not good — I didn’t like it about myself and the clubs don’t like it, the Bulldogs wouldn’t have liked it and St Helens wouldn’t have liked it,” Holbrook said.

“But I also understand that things get out. Even myself, I found out on Monday [that I had the Titans job] and everyone seemed to find out on Monday.

“People seemed to think I knew for a week or two. It is a massive challenge that is for sure.

“It is just a great opportunity for me — I want to coach in the NRL and it has worked out well the Titans are looking for a new coach.

“They know themselves that they have to get it right. For me to get an opportunity to play a part in that is extremely exciting. I am also realistic.

“The Melbourne Storm and [Sydney] Roosters aren’t going to say how would you like to come and coach us because they are at the top of the comp.

“For me, if I was to get an opportunity, it was always going to be someone who wasn’t happy with how they were going.

“The Gold Coast with their junior nursery and the area and rugby league in general, it just has so many things going for it.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/911624cc3fcb2ad1e7b3d1c7354bd869

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring castle back, at least she had a vision! What has Hill achieved?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sounds pretty clear he was talked to by hill about coaching. No doubt in my head the 2 wins saved pay the sack for now anyway.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holbrook doing Hill a favour to ease Pays fears after reading all the stuff written in the media. Hill would be stupid not to have that conversation with the dogs sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That pretty much confirms that we sounded him out and Andersons got their way over the rest
What a sad club we are

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like Holbrook only needed to be asked and he would’ve accepted an offer

Great work from Hill to fly over there for a waste of a fkn time

Is he related to Benny Hill?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Holbrook doing Hill a favour to ease Pays fears after reading all the stuff written in the media. Hill would be stupid not to have that conversation with the dogs sitting at the bottom of the ladder.
Agree, Holbrook is just making the right noises to the media and to end talk of him and the bulldogs.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That pretty much confirms that we sounded him out and Andersons got their way over the rest
What a sad club we are
What if Hill sinks... Miserably. I don't want Pay but there is always a chance Holbrook can be just as shit.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What a sad club we are
You keep telling yourself that champ.

Don't mind the fact that I told you weeks ago that it was zero chance of happening, and now it's completely official from all parties involved.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a sad club we are
lol.....

So, Andersons dont want Holbrook BUT they give Hill permission to fly over to England to "talk" to Holbrook while using up clubs money and resources?

You're fucken cooked

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Holbrook is just doing the professional thing by not throwing Pay or Hill under the bus and trying to make it seem like the Titans were his top choice all along.

Everyone is just saving face but it's pretty obvious that Hill was there to talk to Holbrook and many at the club wanted him but the Andersons didn't give the final say so. This just confirms that our club is still divided at board level and not everyone is on the same page...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol, give me a spell.

What was her vision again? 2 Premierships between 2014-2018
She meant 2 premiershits... but the NRL would have issued us with a breach for foul language..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We only signed Pay because he was the best candidate AT THAT TIME with previous Dogs DNA (which everyone wanted following the Manly fraudster). Now there's a better prospect with some Dogs DNA. Hill flies to England and doesn't make any formal approach ? - why ? Because the board don't want to be compared to the last mob by extending a coach them sacking him a few months later (and wasting $). Pay wouldn't be on big money anyway. So they would rather fuck the team than look stupid. That's it for me. They need to be replaced ASAP next election by people with some vision - people who genuinely put the club before their own self interest / jobs / power. Holbrook is no guarantee without NRL experience but he has coached the next grade down, he has played first grade and I'm sure watched his fair share of many many NRL games. He couldn't do any worse than Pay so we basically had nothing to lose (other than a few hundred grand maybe which fucking pales into comparison to the 1M+ settlement the current board agreed to pay out to Hasler). What we have now isn't working. Change brings new hope and it would have likely increased our chances of signing some decent Pommy forwards. Pay isn't an attraction to anyone that isn't desperate and he doesn't have the brains for a decent game plan now or anytime in future. What a wasted opportunity. Some journo needs to ask Hill if what Holbrook says is true and if Hill confirms then it's obvious him and the board are sitting on their fucking hands not knowing what the fuck to do (putting all their hope in the coach to save them - just like the last mob did) They need to go and make room for better people.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brent Read talking Flanno to the Saints as Holbrook replacement