Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think coaches should be lining up for a coaching gig at the Dogs. Two reasons:

1. They will have a war chest of over $8m to buy players they want for 2021

2. Canterbury is a club that would really pay good coin if the coach excels in his role at the club. Like how Hasler got $1m a season after he took us to grand finals. Prove you’re a good coach and the dogs will pay up.

Most FG club coaches should be knocking on our door for a gig. I would. I just don’t get it.
Ok let's get Wayne Bennett, or Michael Maguire,or paul green....We are no chance on Robbo and bellamy..but why not Greenberg pulled off many said a miracle in getting hasler

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need the Roosters to drop 50 plus on us to put the final nail in Pays coaching coffin
Even then they'll probably fuck around and wait til the end of the season and risk screwing the whole thing up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I had a dream that Holbrook coached the Bulldogs...that's fucking tier 1 right there

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw James Hooper on Fox last night say that there’s strong mail that Kevin Walters will be named Titans coach by the end of next week.

Not sure of how good his mail is, but that clearly rules the Titans out for Holbrook of true.

It’s down to us or St Helens - interesting times.

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IF we are getting a new coach it must be for 2020 start if they are to have any advantage in the 2021 "War Chest". If not it would be pointless. If Pay stays on next year its very poor form from the Board.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
IF we are getting a new coach it must be for 2020 start if they are to have any advantage in the 2021 "War Chest". If not it would be pointless. If Pay stays on next year its very poor form from the Board.
The only positive you could possibly take out of it if the Board insist on continuing with Pay 2020, is if Holbrook is appointed Director of Coaching.

He would be free to scout around with Hughes looking for talent, recruit from UK and/or conduct a far reaching review of our operations, training set up, with a respected old boy in say Terry Lamb etc. Could also put together a cutting edge group of assistants in a sensible time frame rather than rushed.

We could live with that I reckon. It would be professional and measured, long term and more assured of success with that 8 million we have to spend.

The players would also know the plan going forward and the succession plan would be in place so performances should improve.

Pay would have some sort of dignity with that and possibly a role after Holbrook takes over if the Board still feel its advantageous.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only positive you could possibly take out of it if the Board insist on continuing with Pay 2020, is if Holbrook is appointed Director of Coaching.

He would be free to scout around with Hughes looking for talent, recruit from UK and/or conduct a far reaching review of our operations, training set up, with a respected old boy in say Terry Lamb etc. Could also put together a cutting edge group of assistants in a sensible time frame rather than rushed.

We could live with that I reckon. It would be professional and measured, long term and more assured of success with that 8 million we have to spend.

The players would also know the plan going forward and the succession plan would be in place so performances should improve.

Pay would have some sort of dignity with that and possibly a role after Holbrook takes over if the Board still feel its advantageous.
Nice theory but no way would Holbrook come if it's not for the Head Coaching job from the start.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Yeah dunno mate hey, if we were going to get someone along them lines a Gus Gould (as much as it hurts to say) or similar type to sit in a Director type role. Personally I don't think it works well having a head coach with someone above making all the tough recruitment etc calls.
For me we need a Straight shooting hard line Coach ASAP. Not one that makes all the calls like we had with Des, but someone that knows what's best for the team/club moving forward. And that for me isn't Pay.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I saw James Hooper on Fox last night say that there’s strong mail that Kevin Walters will be named Titans coach by the end of next week.

Not sure of how good his mail is, but that clearly rules the Titans our for Holbrook.

It’s down to us or St Helens - interesting times.
He said its down to Holbrook and Walters but Walters is most favored.
Hooper is shit though!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hooper is shit though!
True or not...According to my latest info,
The management will not push Pay out for one reason only political correctness :rage:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hooper is shit though!
If the report is true, I see it as the Titans saving face. Maybe they already know of Holbrooks decision and by leaking that Walters is their favored front runner, they not only distance themselves from any failure of not getting Holbrook, it also gives them the perception of dealing from a position of strength, hopefully forcing Walters hand in filling the vacant Titans coaching position.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The management will not push Pay out for one reason only political correctness :rage:
Well I guess it's true if you lay down with dogs you get fleas and if your friends with the Andersons you can really suck at your job and still be safe. I'm sick of this mates for mates bullshit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They're so fucking soft. Why did they want to run the club so badly in the first place if they have no intention of making tough decisions and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings?

This is professional football, not Kindergarten. Instead they give Pay his scratch and sniff sticker and sing him lullabies every night. Fucking amateurs!

They're literally the complete opposite of Bullfrog. He fired premiership winning coaches after they won the comp whereas Lynne won't fire a coach with a 30% win rate who's destroying the club after two years of abject failure. Good thing the club is in safe hands!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
just because they wont push him out, does not necessarily mean he will remain as head coach.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
just because they wont push him out, does not necessarily mean he will remain as head coach.
That's true and we all know Pay can't be there next season or the board will be overthrown. But it's massively worrying that they haven't acted before now and still let Pay do whatever he wants in spite of him being a dead man walking. They were going to fire him a few weeks ago but lacked the balls to pull the trigger.

You need conviction and ruthlessness when required from upper management, not people who don't have the guts to make the hard decisions or can't finalise deals because of indecisiveness or an inability to convince players and coaches that this is the club to join.