Cody Walker refuses to sing national anthem at State of Origin

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I'll ask you the same question. Do you honestly think that you have learnt everything there is and there's no room for you to grow or change your opinion?
No, i certainly havent learnt everything and yep there is always room to change opinion but this issue supposedly burns deep into Aboriginals hearts so why are these sheep only offended by it now? Where was this protesting 5, 10 or 15 years ago? Nowhere to be seen or heard. These sheep are only pushing this issue now because these days it is cool to use sport as a political soapbox like that dickhead Colin Kaepernick did in the NFL. NRL players are too keen to follow whatever clowns are doing in US sport these days. It just makes them look like tryhard idiots IMO.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD

We all complain when threads are locked & when they aren't it's an agenda.

I don't know @Mr Invisible from a bar of soap, but to even hint that he is racist is beyond believe or that he has an agenda.

Yes the aboriginals were treated badly years ago, but so were other races.

You don't see them protesting at a drop of a hat.

I remember years ago in the NRL a black player called a white player a white **** & the white player responded with you are a black ****.

Guess which player got into trouble, yep the white player for using the word black, nothing mentioned both used the word ****.

I am probably racist for saying black instead of indigenous.

People bitch about how tough the admin/mods are on here, I can tell you they are extremely fair compared to other forums.

Though @Nabsolutely Fabulous might disagree. :p :tearsofjoy:
First of all, that barb was a bit tongue in cheek, as mr I has nitpicked and pulled apart, piece by piece almost every post I have made in this thread. But most people would have guessed this.
I'm not complaining that the thread is still open either. If anything I'm complaining that others are locked while this one remains open.
"Yes the aboriginals were treated badly many years ago, but so were other races. You dont see them protesting at the drop of a hat". What an absolute load of crap!!! Do you actually live under a rock??? Minorities have been fighting for their rights since the beginning of time.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
And what about the uproar if a player decided not to wear the "indigenous" jumper last week because it doesn't represent their culture.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I get that you’re saying these problems are of their own making, I disagree. I think we’ve played a part in it too and I’ve outlined my argument what feels like 100 times now. We’ve histotically treated them like second class citizens and many of us continue to do so. That is going to have a destructive influence on ANY cultural group. We are all responsible for our own behaviour, but external factors often have an influence too....any behavioural psychologist will tell you that.
Okay, so I'll ask again (since you are saying they do), how have white Australians contributed to making some aboriginals in remote communities:
a) Commit crimes that result in custodial sentences; and/or
b) Rape kids; and/or
c) Get involved in drugs / alcohol.

and lets not forget the role the above plays in the ever increasing number of indigenous teens committing suicide.

I mean those problems exist outside of remote communities as well, but the prevalence inside is incredibly high... and yet outside of these communities the blame game isn't played and it's nobodies fault but their own.

Mr I clearly has an agenda here. Maybe he is just racist. Maybe he just has it stuck in his head that his view is right and everyone else is wrong.
Ahhh the ol' "must be racist because they don't 100% agree with my point of view" comment. Was wondering when that gem would surface.

Yes the aboriginals were treated badly years ago, but so were other races.
Asians during the gold rush era absolutely copped it too.

No, i certainly havent learnt everything and yep there is always room to change opinion but this issue supposedly burns deep into Aboriginals hearts so why are these sheep only offended by it now? Where was this protesting 5, 10 or 15 years ago? Nowhere to be seen or heard. These sheep are only pushing this issue now because these days it is cool to use sport as a political soapbox like that dickhead Colin Kaepernick did in the NFL. NRL players are too keen to follow whatever clowns are doing in US sport these days. It just makes them look like tryhard idiots IMO.
It's less about awareness and more about ego. Rather than ACTUALLY doing something, look like you are doing something.

If they wanted to make a difference we'd hear about the difference they are MAKING, rather than point they are making.

Christian Welch for example... how much do you hear about the good work he does off field? The answer is VERY little. Yet he's out their DOING.. not TALKING about doing.

If Walker, Addo-Carr, Chambers want to make a difference, they should get off their arse, get out there, and make a difference, don't talk about making a difference. Less time talking to the media, more time on the ground, hands on, trying to make a difference.

Like an old boss used to say "Don't tell me what you are doing, tell me what you've done".

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not complaining that the thread is still open either. If anything I'm complaining that others are locked while this one remains open.
Threads are closed on an individual basis. If suddenly this thread exploded into a raft of racist comments and slang or abuse, then it would be under consideration.

We are trying to relax things a bit more here.
EXAMPLE: In the past political discussions have been strictly banned (as have religious threads). If you notice however more recently the Federal Election 2019 thread still remains open for conversation. Ditto other threads regarding religion (namely the Folau ones).

It's when threads turn into a wildfire/shitfight, that they are closed.

End of the day this is a discussion forum. Opposing views are always welcome (just like in a debate). Healthy discussion is always a good thing, and there is no wrong/right opinion.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Threads are closed on an individual basis. If suddenly this thread exploded into a raft of racist comments and slang or abuse, then it would be under consideration.

We are trying to relax things a bit more here.
EXAMPLE: In the past political discussions have been strictly banned (as have religious threads). If you notice however more recently the Federal Election 2019 thread still remains open for conversation. Ditto other threads regarding religion (namely the Folau ones).

It's when threads turn into a wildfire/shitfight, that they are closed.

End of the day this is a discussion forum. Opposing views are always welcome (just like in a debate). Healthy discussion is always a good thing, and there is no wrong/right opinion.
I agree. And thus far it's just a discussion.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's terrible. Are you telling me he refuses to sing a song in a country that promotes freedom, because many others have been brainwashed into believing it shows some form of national pride.

I think he needs to participate in some extra propaganda courses so he has the same beliefs as everyone else.
Welcome to the Kennel.
Unfortunately he does not have the same beliefs as everyone as he feels his different or better. He says he does not want controversy. Strange person. We are all lucky to be here as we are all free and safe. Maybe he should visit a few countries around the world where people are not so free and safe. Our anthem is for all who love this country

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Okay, so I'll ask again (since you are saying they do), how have white Australians contributed to making some aboriginals in remote communities:
a) Commit crimes that result in custodial sentences; and/or
b) Rape kids; and/or
c) Get involved in drugs / alcohol.

and lets not forget the role the above plays in the ever increasing number of indigenous teens committing suicide.

I mean those problems exist outside of remote communities as well, but the prevalence inside is incredibly high... and yet outside of these communities the blame game isn't played and it's nobodies fault but their own.

Ahhh the ol' "must be racist because they don't 100% agree with my point of view" comment. Was wondering when that gem would surface.

Asians during the gold rush era absolutely copped it too.

It's less about awareness and more about ego. Rather than ACTUALLY doing something, look like you are doing something.

If they wanted to make a difference we'd hear about the difference they are MAKING, rather than point they are making.

Christian Welch for example... how much do you hear about the good work he does off field? The answer is VERY little. Yet he's out their DOING.. not TALKING about doing.

If Walker, Addo-Carr, Chambers want to make a difference, they should get off their arse, get out there, and make a difference, don't talk about making a difference. Less time talking to the media, more time on the ground, hands on, trying to make a difference.

Like an old boss used to say "Don't tell me what you are doing, tell me what you've done".
Dude, I’ve explained what I think at least a dozen times on this thread. I don’t know how much clearer I can be. If you haven’t accepted my point yet, you will not do so under any circumstances. You aren’t asking anything I haven’t already shared my opinion on and I’m really tired of arguing around in circles. If you want answers to what I think about your questions, you should be able to find them in my previous responses without having to ask more questions that have already been asked and addressed.

All I’ll say is, while other races have copped a lot of shit in this country, their bloodline was never almost wiped off the face of the earth and their languages and culture were never cannibalised/ destroyed. I don’t think anyone who hasn’t gone through that can fully grasp how devastating to a person’s (or collective culture’s) sense of self/ identity that can be. People are ultimately responsible for their own actions, but the least we can do is to acknowledge the impact colonisation has had on the language, culture, sense of identity and self esteem of our Indigenous people and to stop exacerbating it by refusing to show a little respect.

I also find it quite telling that many Australians go to great lengths to argue they shouldn’t be held accountable for the actions of others, but seem to want to hold people like Cody Walker accountable for problems in remote Indigenous communities when they choose to express their opinions about the anthem or any other subject which rubs them the wrong way.

Any dispossessed cultural groups develop deep seeded social problems within their communities. It’s not all their fault any more than it’s all ours.

Now seriously, I think I’m
done on this thread and that will be the last I’ll say on the matter for the time being. You don’t have to like my post any more than you like Cody Walker’s stance.... but I have my right to my opinions and he has his right to not sing the anthem....

This groupthink rubbish about people not singing the anthem representing everything that is wrong with the country is complete and utter nonsense in my opinion.

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
In summary, it's pretty hard to take 3 NRL footballers seriously when one of them has been convicted of a serious criminal charges and all three live in a country where they are rewarded with silly amounts of money for playing a sport they love.

These same 3 guys want you to believe this country is awful, oppressive and discriminatory.

Makes no sense and they should go and spend some time reflecting on how fortunate they are to be living in this country and not another.

They should also consider how fortunate they are to be able to publicly state falsehoods and mistruths, while still maintaining their multi million dollar contracts - while another footballer (Folau) was sacked for simply copying and pasting some lines from the bible.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I also find it quite telling that many Australians go to great lengths to argue they shouldn’t be held accountable for the actions of others, but seem to want to hold people like Cody Walker accountable for problems in remote Indigenous communities when they choose to express their opinions about the anthem or any other subject which rubs them the wrong way.

I know its supposed to be satire, but this is pretty much this headline from the 'Toot in January:

"Patriot Proudly Defends Actions Of Ancestors While Also Distancing Himself From Them"

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'll seriously piss myself laughing if this bloke completely shits the bed in the SOO arena, because he's too busy worried about himself and his ego, than being a team player.

Clearly he has already decided he doesn't want to be a team player and fully engrain himself into the SOO experience (part of which is the pre game national anthem during lineup).

People are ultimately responsible for their own actions, but the least we can do is to acknowledge the impact colonisation has had on the language, culture, sense of identity and self esteem of our Indigenous people and to stop exacerbating it by refusing to show a little respect.
Excuses again... just like our board.

Wow...

upload_2019-6-3_12-9-0.png

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Clearly he has already decided he doesn't want to be a team player and fully engrain himself into the SOO experience (part of which is the pre game national anthem during lineup).
\]
Really? i'd say his teammates couldn't give a rat's arse and are focused on the actual game.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They should also consider how fortunate they are to be able to publicly state falsehoods and mistruths, while still maintaining their multi million dollar contracts - while another footballer (Folau) was sacked for simply copying and pasting some lines from the bible.
Cody Walker - Does not wish to sing the anthem, feels it doesn't reflect him or his culture. States that he has no objection to anyone else singing the anthem, they're free to choose to do so.

Israel Folau - Gays are sinners, change your life or you will burn in hell. You're not one of us, you're evil, you're a sinner.

Supporters of Folau - he's doing it for his beliefs, he doesn't care about the money, he's giving up the money. Meanwhile in the real world, folau is meeting with a solicitor to see if he can get anything for being "unfairly" dismissed.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Cody Walker - Does not wish to sing the anthem, feels it doesn't reflect him or his culture. States that he has no objection to anyone else singing the anthem, they're free to choose to do so.

Israel Folau - Gays are sinners, change your life or you will burn in hell. You're not one of us, you're evil, you're a sinner.

Supporters of Folau - he's doing it for his beliefs, he doesn't care about the money, he's giving up the money. Meanwhile in the real world, folau is meeting with a solicitor to see if he can get anything for being "unfairly" dismissed.
Maybe, but the facts remain, Folau voluntarily 'walked away' from his multi million dollar contract by refusing to bow to the Rugby Executives and Qantas.

It takes someone with a hell of a lot of conviction (regardless of whether you agree with their convictions) to walk away from a multi million dollar contract.

Would ADo-Carr, Walker and Ferguson walk away from their NRL contracts and origin fees over this issue? Of course not.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe, but the facts remain, Folau voluntarily 'walked away' from his multi million dollar contract by refusing to bow to the Rugby Executives and Qantas.

It takes someone with a hell of a lot of conviction (regardless of whether you agree with their convictions) to walk away from a multi million dollar contract.

Would ADo-Carr, Walker and Ferguson walk away from their NRL contracts and origin fees over this issue? Of course not.
Just a couple of questions: -

1. Why do you feel the need to re-write history?
2. Why do things have to fit in nice, little neat, boxes with labels?

Folau did NOT voluntarily walk away, he is seeking legal advice to sue Rugby Australia. IF his legal advice advises that he has a possibility to win the case, they will pursue the case in the courts. If his legal advice advises that they cannot win the case he will walk away. Not because he's voluntarily "walking away", but because he does not have a legal leg to stand on.

Then let's compare the circumstances.

Folau has already been warned and he is a REPEAT OFFENDER. Also he could EASILY have released a PR statement apologizing while AT THE SAME TIME re-iterating that they were his beliefs and he is not changing his beliefs. And given that he probably has PR managers that would have worded this statement PERFECTLY for him, he still chose the stubborn route and in doing so was OFFENSIVE to a minority group.

Meanwhile, let me quote word for word what Cody Walker said WHEN IT WAS THE MEDIA WHO ASKED HIM:-

While insisting he did not want to court controversy, the Blues rookie told the Herald on Tuesday: "I'm not pushing my views on anyone, it's just how me and my family have grown up and how I feel. I've already voiced my opinion, and I want to reiterate it's just my opinion.''

There's a vast difference in how both players handled the situation. A massive difference. Cody took a submissive statement to a question from journalists. He stated his beliefs and said they were his personal beliefs.

And then this absolute BS that people come up with "walking away from a game that gives him very good monetary compensation", what F-ing dream world to you lot live in. It's an absolutely ridiculous argument.

In any case this thread should have been closed the moment someone (can't remember who it was) posted that it's in their DNA to be rapists, alcos, etc etc .

As I said before, the comment posted in this thread show there's still a long way to go for recognition of indigenous people.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He could easily have replied "No Comment". His quote was AFTER he made a statement on it. His quote above is in reply to a question BASED ON HIS INITIAL STATEMENT!.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Cody walker did not sing the national anthem in the all stars game https://junkee.com/cody-walker-nrl-national-anthem/193965

2. Cody walker and meninga being asked post match of the all star game https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...y-walker-mal-meninga-national-anthem/10818760

As far as I can find they did not make any statement prior to the all stars game.

Again reporters asked him post match, in which mal meninga supported Cody's views.

Cody walker has handled himself head and shoulders well above those that are criticising him.

His answer prior to the SOO about the anthem, is a completely respectful answer.

Again we're having history re-written to suit agendas

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the lyric that offends the indigenous?
Serious question

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty, rich and rare
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing,

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the lyric that offends the indigenous?
Serious question

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty, rich and rare
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Supposedly "we are young and free". Because of course everyone else is to blame for their high percentage of prison inmates.
" Advance Australia FAIR"... the "fair" part is supposedly inferring fair skin. Anyone could twist a word into a meaning to suit their own agenda TBH.
Has anyone heard any suggestions put forward by the Indigenous community as to what our county's anthem should be? Seems to be a lot of whining without any real gumption as to what it should be changed to IMO.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He shouldn't be allowed to play due to his divisive stand which breaches the code of conduct