Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Had I missed the last 2 years in Bulldogs news and sat down to watch our game against the Raiders could I be forgiven for thinking that Des Hasler is still our coach?

So much of what we are doing was the same crap that Hasler was doing at the end of his tenure. Hell other than the nose whistles even the excuses in the pressers are the same.

Such classics like Tolman on the 4th, slow forwards as first receiver (infact we scored as soon as we stopped doing it) and deliberately not selecting our best team.

Even the frustrating glimpse of what we are capable of has been sighted. Round 1 game for Hasler against Manly and the first half of our trial this year. Glimpses never to be seen again.

Hell even extending the Coaches contract while they are losing has been the same?

Having canvassed many Dogs sites on FB since our very poor loss to a reserve grade Raiders team and reading the comments, I think it is very fair to say that the Club has lost the fans faith in their Coach and quickly themselves.

Des Pay?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As bad as things were in the Des era, they were not this bad.. pay has taken the whole des-aster thing to a whole new level..!!!

In saying that, des could have done a lot better , but this is just taking the piss.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We dont look like winning again surely they see this and act on it now 3 wins is unacceptable

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get the whole Des hate.. and hes long gone and doing at Manly what he did here, hes got his team punching above their weight like.he did here..

Des wasnt good at assembling a premiership winning squad.. he tried though, he wanted tedesco, he also tried hard to lure cronk..

You cannot even compare a 2 time premiership winning coach like Des, who makes finals 90% of time, to Pay whos lost 25/36 games and whos team averages 10points a game..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I get the whole Des hate.. and hes long gone and doing at Manly what he did here, hes got his team punching above their weight like.he did here..

Des wasnt good at assembling a premiership winning squad.. he tried though, he wanted tedesco, he also tried hard to lure cronk..

You cannot even compare a 2 time premiership winning coach like Des, who makes finals 90% of time, to Pay whos lost 25/36 games and whos team averages 10points a game..
I'm saying if you went into watch the game and how we played and didn't know who the coach was, you could easily have thought Hasler was still coach. Pay has adopted many of the same "safe" boring stuff that Des was doing towards the end. It occurred to me while I was watching it that I'm seeing the same shite.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm saying if you went into watch the game and how we played and didn't know who the coach was, you could easily have thought Hasler was still coach. Pay has adopted many of the same "safe" boring stuff that Des was doing towards the end. It occurred to me while I was watching it that I'm seeing the same shite.
Yeah similar maybe but alot worse now.. we are dead last.. I can still remember many memorable wins we had under Des, we never won the comp but FMD there were awesome matches we won..

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des was and still is a great coach, bloke just needed a break away from the game. Pay is just flat out clueless and shit lol.
100%.

The bloke was/is good. Just his time was up at the dogs.

I honestly wouldnt mind Toovey with Kimorley/Ennis as assistants

Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion around Dean Pays tenure. I'd love to the see the next coach singing be a former player from our 2004 Grand Final winning team...

Imagine having Luke Patten, Shifty Sherwin or Hazem El Masri as coach. Our attack will improve and points will come like that.

Is there any chance we can sign a former Bulldogs player as Coach who knows the rugby league required in the modern game?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des is definitely having the last laugh even with the half-arsed roster he has at Manly.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion around Dean Pays tenure. I'd love to the see the next coach singing be a former player from our 2004 Grand Final winning team...

Imagine having Luke Patten, Shifty Sherwin or Hazem El Masri as coach. Our attack will improve and points will come like that.

Is there any chance we can sign a former Bulldogs player as Coach who knows the rugby league required in the modern game?
I don’t get the obsession with having a coach who was an ex bulldogs player, hows that worked out with Kevin Moore and Dean Pay.
Here’s an idea, get the best credentialed person after going through a thorough selection process.
By all means have a few ex players around the club as mentors but leave it at that. We’re supposed to be a professional football club, not a charity house for ex players

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a decade for the des rot to get out the system

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still refuse to acknowledge Des as a "great" coach when he's so stubborn and inflexible with tactics and selections. People forget that after Des' first year we finished lower and lower on the ladder with the team becoming so easy to figure out that we struggled to score points the last several seasons.

Des is "great" at one thing. Turning a club around and getting his teams to compete and defend at a high level while brainwashing them so that any footballing instincts are eventually over the years coached out of them.

But I totally agree and have been saying the same with Pay that he's used the exact same negative attacking ploys of using our props as our halves, plays favourites as much as Hasler did and his press conferences are just as boring.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BK is your best bet in my opinion unless Dymock wants to have a dig with Georgallis.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Des had to go. Results for 2017 and half of 2016 were shit. Style and game management was shit. Recruiting and player development was shit. In hindsight pay wasn't ready, we needed an experienced guy to develop the junior talent and recruit through the rebuild . In pays defence the roster is weak, the board has released some players to fast track the rebuild process. But pay is out of his depth, I was a fan of pay but fmd the team isn't developing, we are getting worse. And his constant tinkering with the team shows his level and mind set. We need an experienced coach who doesn't copy Melb. Has his own style and can develop. Tim Sheens is the man for me. Holbrook as an assistant and long term coach. I know his old but Sheens is an innovator , he works on skills and development of game plans around player skills. He isn't the long term coach but we need that step I believe as we lack everything in talent and skills. Other coach potentially is flanno. But we need him next year not 2021

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.We need a coach who is proven.
2. We need a coach who can attract marquee players.

Good start there, but pay must go first.

Kevin walters
Griffin
Holbrook
Flanagan
Etc
Plenty out there looking for a nrl start.

Status
Not open for further replies.