Nick Meaney and support play

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guy is safe at the back but every time a line break is made he's not even in the same frame. Maybe I'm just expecting him to be like Barba and come flying through but I thought he should've supported Okunbor and run the length of the field for a try. Seems like he is lacking in fitness..

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guy is safe at the back but every time a line break is made he's not even in the same frame. Maybe I'm just expecting him to be like Barba and come flying through but I thought he should've supported Okunbor and run the length of the field for a try. Seems like he is lacking in fitness..
Agree , would be nice for him to be looming up to support breaks....

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
not aggressive enough in attack - far too timid at the moment.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Took barba many games to find his confidence
He was in and out of first grades for a few years
Give the bloke some time

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully he starts getting more involved in support. It's largely a timing thing I think. I can't find fault in any other part of his game. I'd rather know we have someone who tends to do superbly defusing attacking kicks than someone that attacks well and is poor with kick reception. He's 1/3 players that are required to defuse attacking kicks regularly but 1/13 players that can offer support running.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney is exceptional under the high ball but his lack of support play, general involvement and inability to beat defenders is concerning.

Hopefully he shows us more in attack, as he is more than capable but it's worrying that he rarely steps anyone and surrenders meekly any time a defender is near him.

From watching him, if we had a bigger, stronger or more elusive fullback, we would have converted a lot more half chances the last few weeks.

That being said, I still rate Meaneys potential and hope to see him fulfill it. But he definitely needs to lift his game and show us more.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
i thought he was good today, the only one that really disapointed me was when CHN made that run and Meaney was directly behind him but could choose wether to hit left or right, should have just picked a hole and called for it rather than waiting for the ball carrier to look at him...

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think his settling in i know his had about 6 games i think but i thought he would start snooping for the ball a bit by now. I think if this combo with foran and cogger keeps going he might get a few balls. Foran and cogger were really good tonight to think these two will only get better. If we can sought out this first 20 crap we should pick up some more wins.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was a great support player in the lower grades, most likely a coaching issue. Moses got smashed on here for not supporting yet his support play spiked once he moves to the tigers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i thought he was good today, the only one that really disapointed me was when CHN made that run and Meaney was directly behind him but could choose wether to hit left or right, should have just picked a hole and called for it rather than waiting for the ball carrier to look at him...
He's definitely got to be more vocal and also not be afraid to give it to his teammates if they hog it and ignore him when he's run into a hole. That way they'll know better next time!

Overall he just needs to back his ability and be more aggressive.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the Cogger break instead in was Fualalo

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was a great support player in the lower grades, most likely a coaching issue. Moses got smashed on here for not supporting yet his support play spiked once he moves to the tigers.
Meaney needs to play better and improve but Pay is certainly not using him right. Nearly every other team uses their fullback to create an overlap except ours. It's even more mind boggling considering how fast Meaney is and that he can actually ball play.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still young had a good safe game today with experience I think the smarts will come he’s progressing well can’t ask for more just yet

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's definitely got to be more vocal and also not be afraid to give it to his teammates if they hog it and ignore him when he's run into a hole. That way they'll know better next time!

Overall he just needs to back his ability and be more aggressive.
Yeah i want him to cut lose his holding back. Maybe just trying to get use to the team. Wish he had a step luv to see him take off and score tries. Seems to be just running into players might just take a bit more time.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He just looks really hesitant in all his running and looks to be overthinking on the field. In the first half there was a gaping hole in the Titans line and instead of pinning his ears back and going for it he passed. Hopefully it’s a case of getting used to first grade or just simplifying his role.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He just looks really hesitant in all his running and looks to be overthinking on the field. In the first half there was a gaping hole in the Titans line and instead of pinning his ears back and going for it he passed. Hopefully it’s a case of getting used to first grade or just simplifying his role.
Would've been an obstruction, Jackson was in the defensive line and that's why Meaney passed on that occasion.

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s more timing, trust and understanding of the players around him. When Barbs came into fG he understood the players around him, Kas, barba, finucane, Jackson all played juniors together and tore it up... Meaney needs time and to build that understanding and timing with the other players and trust me this kid could become of of the very best

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Support play for a fullback is instinctive, if he had it at the Knights, he still has it now, absolutely nothing to do with coaching....

Celebrate a win for a change dude and quit the fucking knit picking...