2019 Federal Election

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed to a certain extent.

Howard was a smart PM. He knew how to manipulate the system and manipulate people. Hence why he stayed in office so long even though he didn't do anything other than banning guns.
Yeah but who is more overrated?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you agree that our country makes it too easy for healthy people to claim benefits and not work. Thanks

We employ about 500 people about 100 visa workers and majority is unskilled labour. I find it interesting that you believe it’s ok for some aussies to work but not other healthy capable people. They can go collect benefits and bludge of the system.

People have to start somewhere Allan. I started cotton chipping for $10 an hour that was shit work but it was work. Our country makes it to easy for people to sit at home and do nothing and that’s my issue.
How you took my response as me saying it's too easy to claim benefits I don't know. Some people have no interest in working, but if they decline a job offer it's a reason to instantly cut off their benefits. If you quit a job there is a period of time during which you can't claim benefits either. Not sure how long it is since I've been working almost continuously for the last 22 years.

At this particular glasshouse they saved big money by employing close to 50% of employees on 457 visas. Roughly $100 per employee per week. When that's 250/500 employees it is a big cost saving over the course of a year. Of the remaining 50% about 15% were backpackers, 25% were the spouses if immigrant students with about 10% Australian workers. I know at least 8 Australians that applied to work there that couldn't get a look in.

And according to a couple of friends who work at employment agencies, they take in $1600 per Australian that's unemployed on their books. So it's good business sense for them to funnel immigrant workers into jobs before Australians. I was told it was advised that they keep Australians unemployed until they do at least one useless course on writing resumes and application letters. That's close to criminal in my opinion. Funnily enough John Howard's wife made a crap load of money this way before she was forced to sell her employment agency. I guess that isn't exactly on topic here though. But a big example of vested interests of the wonderful way Howard ran the country.

By no means do I think claiming benefits is the preferred option for the vast majority of Australian people. It's not the first choice for the majority of unemployed Australians to be unemployed. Nor do I think it's too easy to claim benefits.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You know what shits me... almost all political advertising is shit slinging.

Very little of it is about what the party will do to better Australia or the voter... instead it's almost all "Bill Shorten / Scomo is a shitcunt... if you vote for him you'll all get dickaids and your balls will drop off in the next 3 years ... VOTE US INSTEAD!"

I reckon this is where the AEC should step in and make it that any advertising has to be factual, and CANNOT attack another party or candidate.

Likewise ban all election advertising (including all over booths), on election day, and remove all scrutineers. All they do is get in the way and piss off voters waiting in line.

We've now hit the period whereby most political advertising must stop, but that doesn't prevent splinter groups doing their work for them (that said if caught by AEC and linked back to a party the fines are large - to the point an AEC actually has the power to pull a political candidate if they breach advertising rules after the cut off.

Apparently Mark Bourous (YellowBrickRoad and Roosters board member), is robocalling people putting the scare up them over some shit.

If anything they should remove the excessive indigenous fundings. Put that towards something better. If you are more than 50% aboriginal, you lose any indigenous benefits and funding. That'd save a stack of money.

Currently if you have a poofteenth of aboriginal in you, theres a $0 TAFE course, that you and I end up paying for (either through high TAFE course costs, or taxes).
I'd much prefer that unemployed people of any race have access to training to grow a useful skillset. I don't begrudge my tax dollars being funneled towards education. I do begrudge things like Barnaby Joyce spending 80million on the water buy back scheme to buy back non existent water. I begrudge government using taxpayer money to build profit generating infrastructure which they then sell off extremely cheaply. I begrudge that we sell LNG to overseas buyers at a fraction of the price that we sell it to Australian energy providers and the subsequent high prices we pay for electricity. Aborigines are a minority group and wouldn't eat up a huge amount of money in education expenses even if they are getting their courses for free.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How you took my response as me saying it's too easy to claim benefits I don't know. Some people have no interest in working, but if they decline a job offer it's a reason to instantly cut off their benefits. If you quit a job there is a period of time during which you can't claim benefits either. Not sure how long it is since I've been working almost continuously for the last 22 years.

At this particular glasshouse they saved big money by employing close to 50% of employees on 457 visas. Roughly $100 per employee per week. When that's 250/500 employees it is a big cost saving over the course of a year. Of the remaining 50% about 15% were backpackers, 25% were the spouses if immigrant students with about 10% Australian workers. I know at least 8 Australians that applied to work there that couldn't get a look in.

And according to a couple of friends who work at employment agencies, they take in $1600 per Australian that's unemployed on their books. So it's good business sense for them to funnel immigrant workers into jobs before Australians. I was told it was advised that they keep Australians unemployed until they do at least one useless course on writing resumes and application letters. That's close to criminal in my opinion. Funnily enough John Howard's wife made a crap load of money this way before she was forced to sell her employment agency. I guess that isn't exactly on topic here though. But a big example of vested interests of the wonderful way Howard ran the country.

By no means do I think claiming benefits is the preferred option for the vast majority of Australian people. It's not the first choice for the majority of unemployed Australians to be unemployed. Nor do I think it's too easy to claim benefits.
Great post..

People claiming that being a dole bludger is a lifestyle choice is ridiculous, who can possibly live off only $258 a week ?

Apparently this amount hasn't changed for 25 years either

And yes they have you jumping through hoops even to get that pitiful amount

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post..

People claiming that being a dole bludger is a lifestyle choice is ridiculous, who can possibly live off only $258 a week ?

Oddly enough I deal with a lot of people like that. I have people all the time who apply for work at my business because it's a requirement to get the doll. Often they'll literally write that on the resume and apologise for wasting my time. It's hilarious.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oddly enough I deal with a lot of people like that. I have people all the time who apply for work at my business because it's a requirement to get the doll. Often they'll literally write that on the resume and apologise for wasting my time. It's hilarious.
Sounds odd that they would risk writing it in the application when they could get cut off.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds odd that they would risk writing it in the application when they could get cut off.
Yep. I found it odd too. I could easily report it but instead I find the humour in it and laugh it off.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I just got my name ticked off so I don't get a fine and left all papers blank.

I don't want to contribute having a douche or turd sandwich run this once great country.

Australia is at a dead end!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
When you aren't paying rent at all, and amazingly still have money for cigarettes, booze, and meth... clearly they are living off it just fine.

What pisses me off is that there is absolutely no support for those who are in betweeners. There should be support available (even if its just rental support) for those between jobs.
If your partner earns more than a poofteenth a week (something like $900 a fortnight is the cut off), you are expected to live off that single income if you are between jobs.

Meanwhile people are out there on the dole with fancy cars, jet skis, boats, etc etc. How does that happen!?!?!!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
dole bludgers are hard working tax payers tbh

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When you aren't paying rent at all, and amazingly still have money for cigarettes, booze, and meth... clearly they are living off it just fine.

What pisses me off is that there is absolutely no support for those who are in betweeners. There should be support available (even if its just rental support) for those between jobs.
If your partner earns more than a poofteenth a week (something like $900 a fortnight is the cut off), you are expected to live off that single income if you are between jobs.

Meanwhile people are out there on the dole with fancy cars, jet skis, boats, etc etc. How does that happen!?!?!!
Two of the best ideas the government had were the work for the dole scheme and the welfare cards that could only be used on groceries. The problem is thay the government didn't put enough effort into each scheme to fully restrict non-food related spending.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Great post..

Isn't the trick to pump out dependants AKA kids?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can you explain how $258 a week can possibly be enough for those people you describe ? A pack a day smoker is spending $210 /week just on cigarrettes.
I know what you're saying though but if people have a dependancy they qualify for disability pension which pays a lot more.

Which could explain the boats, jet skis at the front of housing commission homes.

Another high paying money grab is parenting payment whoaaa that's like gold that's more than working a full time job in a skilled profession , couple that with cash in the hand labouring etc.. There's your late model cars

I'm talking about your genuine new start recipient someone who's been displaced from a professional job by 457 visa holders who was on high end money looking for work in their field (which no longer really exists) but might take a good year to realise that those jobs they're advertising are just a facade .
Until the penny drops thats at least a year of living on $258 a week... That's just ridiculous

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol lucky them!