2019 Federal Election

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm referring to skilled workers such as accountants, IT analysts, project managers etc.. These are the jobs that the 457/482's are targeted for.. The minimum wage is $53k which is the equivalent to what retail workers make as opposed to what professionals earn
Fair enough. Seems strange they have a minimum wage for visa workers that’s different to our home grown minimum wage for professionals.
It’s obviously the level below I worry about. Something needs to be done about our welfare system as it’s quite worrying that we have healthy people that dont work despite jobs being there. They work the system just to stay home and breed

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm referring to skilled workers such as accountants, IT analysts, project managers etc.. These are the jobs that the 457/482's are targeted for.. The minimum wage is $53k which is the equivalent to what retail workers make as opposed to what professionals earn.
In 2011 qantas had 201 out of 211 employees with Indian names on their payroll for a particular department.
Increasing the minimum wage will also most likely result in jobs being sent off-shore. That's a reason not to vote Labor.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Labor will fuck us over again, to much alliance the greens the better than devil you know then the devil you don’t .. they wanna scrap negative gearing too, I split with my mrs and have to cover an extra $150 a week to cover my mortgage
If your house is already negatively geared it won't affect you

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is that for real? So I will still be able to claim the tax on my extra costs ?
Yeah mate, It'll only apply to houses that aren't already negatively geared by Jan 2020 but you'll still be able to on newly built homes

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The minimum wage is $53k which is the equivalent to what retail workers make as opposed to what professionals earn.
Eh?? Retail workers making $53k.. in what universe? Store Managers MAYBE, but not Joe Average working in a retail store. $30-45k maybe, but most retail workers will struggle to earn outside that bracket.

Even full time hospitality staff often don't hit $50k after tax.

You can't bump the minimum wage too much otherwise you end up with a situation where everything is so unaffordable (which we are getting closer and closer to already).

Costs always end up being made up elsewhere, and that's normally on the consumer side of things.

Bump up the minimum wage and you'll end up in a society whereby: Bananas are $5 a kg today, and $12 a kg in a few years time. As costs skyrocket businesses will look at ways to cut corners, which will mean either sacking staff to cut overheads, or simply sourcing inferior products from overseas. If unions gget involved and workers are harder to get rid of (like this stupid idea of casual workers being given full time jobs after 12 months), then more businesses will get drive to the wall and shut up shop.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Yeah the Liberals got us out of debt by selling all our Fkn utilities like electricity to private companies that now charge us double and triple. Vote liberal again everyone and then complain that your bills and day to day living expenses and everything else is going up.

labour got us through the GFC and this country was one of the only countries in the world to still have a AAA rating during and after. But labour fkd the economy? People need to stop listening to the news polls, your mate at the pub and The Telegraph and actually go out and get some cold hard facts before they vote.

I guarantee if just 50% of voters that vote Liberal actually got the facts instead of being fed shit and eating it they would vote for anyone but Liberal.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah the Liberals got us out of debt by selling all our Fkn utilities like electricity to private companies that now charge us double and triple. Vote liberal again everyone and then complain that your bills and day to day living expenses and everything else is going up.

labour got us through the GFC and this country was one of the only countries in the world to still have a AAA rating during and after. But labour fkd the economy? People need to stop listening to the news polls, your mate at the pub and The Telegraph and actually go out and get some cold hard facts before they vote.

I guarantee if just 50% of voters that vote Liberal actually got the facts instead of being fed shit and eating it they would vote for anyone but Liberal.
The problem with so called "facts" is they can be skewed. Just like polls.

Ever heard of "taking credit for someone elses work", because that's exactly what those who argue the ALP got us through the GFC are doing (and its not the first time either).

The previous LNP government got the countries debt down, and economy boosted, so we were able to ride out the GFC comfortably even if Raelene Castle was PM. US and European countries had high government debt at the time, which is why everyone dragged each other down, whilst we weathered the storm.

Here's how the political "ebs and flows" work:
LNP parties whip the economy back into shape, lower country debt, and get economy back on track and into surplus. People eventually get sick of them and want change so vote in the ALP.
ALP gets into power and grandstands about how much money they have, and spend to the hilt, until we end up in debt again. At this point the public gets sick of them, and LNP take the reigns and repair the damage done.

Rinse and repeat.

As it stands both parties should be able to balance the economy equally well, it's how they do it that remains the issue.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Ever heard of "taking credit for someone elses work", because that's exactly what those who argue the ALP got us through the GFC are doing (and its not the first time either).

The previous LNP government got the countries debt down, and economy boosted, so we were able to ride out the GFC comfortably even if Raelene Castle was PM. US and European countries had high government debt at the time, which is why everyone dragged each other down, whilst we weathered the storm.

LNP parties whip the economy back into shape, lower country debt, and get economy back on track and into surplus. People eventually get sick of them and want change so vote in the ALP.
ALP gets into power and grandstands about how much money they have, and spend to the hilt, until we end up in debt again. At this point the public gets sick of them, and LNP take the reigns and repair the damage done.

Rinse and repeat.

As it stands both parties should be able to balance the economy equally well, it's how they do it that remains the issue.
you left out the part about why people get sick of the liberal party

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Rinse and repeat.

Yep. Facts are skewed on both sides. The previous Liberal government got Australia in a good place but Labor also got us through the GFC with smart measures. But both sides will claim that the other side did nothing.

Just look at the Nairu issue. Labor criticising Liberals, Liberals criticising Labor. Fact is that Labor set up the shitty detention centre in an attempt to deter refugees and Liberals kept the centre running.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. Facts are skewed on both sides. The previous Liberal government got Australia in a good place but Labor also got us through the GFC with smart measures. But both sides will claim that the other side did nothing.
That's pretty much it. Politics is so much "tit for tat".

Care only for themselves and their retirements than give a single shit about the public (that's both sides).

Remove the Two Party Preferred system, and see how much shit slinging stops when they realise that they actually have to work for the public to get a vote.

As it stands these days any party except ALP/LNP may as well not even be on the ballot papers.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Just look at the Nairu issue. Labor criticising Liberals, Liberals criticising Labor. Fact is that Labor set up the shitty detention centre in an attempt to deter refugees and Liberals kept the centre running.
the liberal party should be on the backfoot on any refugee issue, they helped create the fake imaginary war against Iraq

they knew it was fake and they knew it would kill people plus destabilize the region but they went ahead and participated, criminal activity from john howard and it wipes away any good that he did

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a load of shit. Part of my job is I’m in charge of a organising a workforce through agencies for the company I work for. I ask for local people but the locals hardly ever work out apart from my long term workers as they are afraid of hard work. Our government benefits make it easier for them to sit at home and not work it’s disgraceful. I don’t know what the political answer is but I’m sick of having work and locals not sticking their hand up to do the job. Something has to give sooner or later with our dole system
I was involved in trying to negotiate an EBA with a glasshouse I used to work for. They wouldn't entertain the notion of paying the same wages to the 457 workers or whatever they're calling it now. They managed to do that by saying the labour hire company they hired them through weren't willing which was a crock of shit. And the fact of the matter is that if you offer people shit jobs on minimum wage (eg working in a glasshouse where you sweat like a pig for all but the hours before 10am) I can't blame local workers for fucking off for better jobs when they come up. I left soon after the EBA negotiations because the glasshouse failed to put thermometers where staff could see them. They lied about the temperature never exceeding 30 degrees. I took my own thermometer in and temps regularly sat at 41-47 degrees through winter. So a combination of shit wage and dangerous working conditions meant that local workers didn't want to be in that particular job. Largely the workforce they retained was desperate internationals supporting families who had trouble getting other work. Maybe look at the wages, working conditions and the reputation surrounding those before criticising the local workers for not wanting to be there. It's probably a combination of that more than lazy attitudes. Not denying there are people that prefer to claim benefits, but international people who can't will clean up shit with their tongues if it means they can feed their families. It's called survival.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's pretty much it. Politics is so much "tit for tat".

Care only for themselves and their retirements than give a single shit about the public (that's both sides).

Remove the Two Party Preferred system, and see how much shit slinging stops when they realise that they actually have to work for the public to get a vote.

As it stands these days any party except ALP/LNP may as well not even be on the ballot papers.
I don't know if you remember that the libs were planning to make TAFE and higher education changes so everyone had to pay rather than the system that allows Australians on benefits to gain the skills with taxpayer funded higher education. But I recall you mentioning that you are looking to upgrade your skills in IT. If the libs had their way on removing that funding would you still be keen to get in their corner? Would you be able to afford the skills upgrades required to get back into the industry from your own pocket?

People forget things like this far too quickly in my opinion.