Not First Grade Standard

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The standard and style of play has lifted across the competition in recent weeks. Even mediocre clubs with similarly horrible rosters play an aggressive, sharp, fast paced style with speed, skill and gamebreakers all over the park. Even after suffering injuries, other capable and promising players step up seamlessly... Even poorly coached teams play to a certain level that is light years ahead of ours. What does that say about Pay?

Our attack is so side to side and lumbering with unskillful forwards touching the ball more than the halves like Desball. The few players that play aggressive, show real impact, have speed or skill play limited minutes or never get the ball...

The lack of cohesion and awareness throughout the whole team is alarming and like watching a bad under 20's team. Every pass goes behind a player. There are no offloads and there's zero intent and belief.

How much longer will the Andersons accept a team that isn't first grade standard and horribly coached?

Eventually they have to swallow their pride and do the best thing for the club. The longer they leave it, the more time wasted and the more damage done. We're getting left behind by the rest of the competition.

Last edited:

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
The interesting fact in all this is, pay said start of the season that we will be playing a flat at the line style of play. Yet all we seem to do is play way before the line.
Pay seems to have the right idea on how the game should be played in 2019, why it’s not working on the field is a mystery.
My thoughts are the players just can’t play to these structures.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The standard and style of play has lifted across the competition in recent weeks. Even mediocre clubs with similarly horrible rosters play an aggressive, sharp, fast paced style with speed, skill and gamebreakers all over the park. Even after suffering injuries, other capable and promising players step up seamlessly... Even poorly coached teams play to a certain level that is light years ahead of ours. What does that say about Pay?

Our attack is so side to side and lumbering with unskillful forwards touching the ball more than the halves and fullback just like Desball. The few players that play aggressive and show real impactor have speed and skill play limited minutes or never get the ball.

The lack of aggression, impact and skill that the pack have severely hurt the team as they're easy to defend and teams rush up constantly...

The lack of skill, speed, cohesion and awareness amongst the whole team is alarming. It really is like watching a bad under 20's team. Every pass goes behind a player. There are no offloads and there's zero intent and belief.

How much longer will the Andersons accept a team that isn't first grade standard and horribly coached?

Eventually they have to swallow their pride and do the best thing for the club. The longer they leave it, the more time wasted and the more damage done. We're getting left behind by the rest of the competition.
Great post mate,well said.. SPOT ON!!!!

Post of the round. 100 points /Best post.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Could not agree more, after watching the Storm play it made me think how long will it be before our team is even half that skilled. We play in slow motion when we shift side to side the oposition has time to pop the kettle on and make a cup of tea, we need Foran to play both edges as he is our best hope of creating any sought of overlap.
JMK must work on his passing from dummy half todays game alot of his balls were head height or behind recievers he needs to step out and get us on the front foot to get any sought of momentum for our forwards.
Our best hope is to maybe get a couple of players before June 30 otherwise its going to continue to be a long season, i believe we will play some good games but unfortunately the good wont outway the bad. Either way i will continue to watch and scream at the TV
Cheers

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Could not agree more, after watching the Storm play it made me think how long will it be before our team is even half that skilled. We play in slow motion when we shift side to side the oposition has time to pop the kettle on and make a cup of tea, we need Foran to play both edges as he is our best hope of creating any sought of overlap.
JMK must work on his passing from dummy half todays game alot of his balls were head height or behind recievers he needs to step out and get us on the front foot to get any sought of momentum for our forwards.
Our best hope is to maybe get a couple of players before June 30 otherwise its going to continue to be a long season, i believe we will play some good games but unfortunately the good wont outway the bad. Either way i will continue to watch and scream at the TV
Cheers
Watching Melbourne carve teams up with their youngsters and backups is heart breaking because we used to be a club like that. Their Q Cup team and best youngsters playing FG are better than our whole squad.

Forget cap cheating etc, they're successful, we're not. So are the Roosters and Souths. Because they're a professionally run football club that does whatever it takes to win. This was that club for the better part of 30 years. Now they're just content with making up the numbers and making sure they play by the rules. The same ones that no one else plays by.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Please don't merge the thread Mr. I, it's a whinge about Pay, the Andersons and the club, not just Pay. ;)

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How robotic is half of this squad. This team has no clue on eyes up footy. Why do we persist with attacking only on our left edge ? The second we go to the right we score ????

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching Melbourne carve teams up with their youngsters and backups is heart breaking because we used to be a club like that. Their Q Cup team and best youngsters playing FG are better than our whole squad.

Forget cap cheating etc, they're successful, we're not. So are the Roosters and Souths. Because they're a professionally run football club that does whatever it takes to win. This was that club for the better part of 30 years. Now they're just content with making up the numbers and making sure they play by the rules. The same ones that no one else plays by.
With great respect we still remain the only team stripped of points during a season...after winning 17 in a row in 2002. That experience hurt so much for fans and administrators that the Club has vowed to never again entertain such a salary cap breach to win.
Cronulla breach the cap in 15, 16, 17 and 18 but NRL say 16 doesnt matter and Storm breach it and get 2 premierships taken away after the event which nobody cares...bcoz on the day they were crowned premiers and thats all that matters.
Rorters and Suffs havent been caught, Manly could only win it backending a squad clearly over the cap and Cowboys had Thurston. Nobody else has won it in the last 10 years.
Point is...we cant compete CONSISTENTLY without breaching the cap. Lets not forget we won interstate reserve grade comp last year. I was there to witness it. Were you?
If you wanna cheat to win FG the Bulldogs are not the CLUB for you.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

Our attack is so side to side and lumbering with unskillful forwards touching the ball more than the halves like Desball. The few players that play aggressive, show real impact, have speed or skill play limited minutes or never get the ball...

The lack of cohesion and awareness throughout the whole team is alarming and like watching a bad under 20's team. Every pass goes behind a player. There are no offloads and there's zero intent and belief.

UTTER TRIPE. WAKE UP TO YOURSELF. GO SUPPORT A CHEATING CLUB IF YOU EXPECT CONSISTENT SUCCESS.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain why we havent played the attacking style we played against the Storm.. Lots of offloads and ball movement in that First half VS Storm.. it looked good and was effective but havent seen it since..

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain why we havent played the attacking style we played against the Storm.. Lots of offloads and ball movement in that First half VS Storm.. it looked good and was effective but havent seen it since..
I don’t know why we haven’t seen it since.
But I know you can’t play that style every single week, reason being is playing that fast every week takes it toll on the human body, and after about round 12 the team will be cooked. Basically the same way st George came out firing the past couple of seasons and died in the ass at the back end of the season.
This is a staying competition not sprinting.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
UTTER TRIPE. WAKE UP TO YOURSELF. GO SUPPORT A CHEATING CLUB IF YOU EXPECT CONSISTENT SUCCESS.
I don't expect consistent success. I expect first grade standard football. I don't think that's expecting much from a "professional" football team in a professional competition.

These guys look like they haven't done any training on their skills or strength and conditioning all offseason and lack the basic fundamentals which is inexcusable at this level.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With great respect we still remain the only team stripped of points during a season...after winning 17 in a row in 2002. That experience hurt so much for fans and administrators that the Club has vowed to never again entertain such a salary cap breach to win.
Cronulla breach the cap in 15, 16, 17 and 18 but NRL say 16 doesnt matter and Storm breach it and get 2 premierships taken away after the event which nobody cares...bcoz on the day they were crowned premiers and thats all that matters.
Rorters and Suffs havent been caught, Manly could only win it backending a squad clearly over the cap and Cowboys had Thurston. Nobody else has won it in the last 10 years.
Point is...we cant compete CONSISTENTLY without breaching the cap. Lets not forget we won interstate reserve grade comp last year. I was there to witness it. Were you?
Who cares about winning Reserve Grade? We're last in First Grade and the top 3 teams have almost already won more games in 9 rounds this season than we have in 33 rounds of last season and this season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But I know you can’t play that style every single week, reason being is playing that fast every week takes it toll on the human body, and after about round 12 the team will be cooked. Basically the same way st George came out firing the past couple of seasons and died in the ass at the back end of the season.
They don't have to throw it around like the Globetrotters every play but the way Pay has these guys playing and the lack of belief they have, they're still in robot mode to complete their sets when they're down 6 with 5 minutes to go instead of throwing it around to try and come up with points.

The effort is there but the belief and skill certainly are not.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
IMO although we only have about 5 FG standard players in our team we are still underperforming. Watching our team from a bird's eye perspective yesterday we are just very very ordinary. We need some quality signings ASAP and after this week's selections Pay is on strike #1 with me.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You think Bullfrog always played by the rules? Of course not. I’m not saying we should blatantly cheat but you have to bend rules, find loopholes and explore every way of maximising the cap. If that means a fine every few years so be it. Sitting back whinging about other clubs and being the good guy playing by the rules will rule us out of playing finals let alone chasing trophies.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who cares about winning Reserve Grade? We're last in First Grade and the top 3 teams have almost already won more games in 9 rounds this season than we have in 33 rounds of last season and this season.
We stacked that reserve grade team last year and it was nice to win but how many of those players are going to be long term NRL players? It means nothing now.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your so right. I have been watching these games especially yesterday and thought were not even competing. At the moment we are not NRL standard hate to say.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well we are definately in the staying mode not the sprinting mode..

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post mate not many realize just how ruthless and physically demanding RL has become, in other codes players recover within a few days.
In RL players show the effect of a very hard game for weeks, and at the end of the season its really about the last man standing.
Probably why at the end of season 2018 we won a few games, hopefully it will be the same this year.