News Mass sackings at Bulldogs ahead of grudge match against Hasler

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mass sackings at Bulldogs ahead of grudge match against Hasler
Adrian Proszenko
By Adrian Proszenko
May 4, 2019 — 11.47am

Canterbury has sensationally sacked four key staffers in one of the biggest clean-outs in the history of the ‘family club’.

Team manager Andrew Farrar, general manager of football Gareth Holmes, recruitment boss Warren McDonnell and pathways performance manager Andrew Patmore are all big-name casualties in a restructure of the Bulldogs. The quartet were informed of the news as the team was preparing to go up against its former coach, Manly's Des Hasler, at Brookvale on Saturday night.

The mass sackings represent the most significant off-field changes at the club since the new Lynne Anderson-led ticket swept to power at the last elections. The new board has been in power since February of 2018 and believes the key staffers have been given sufficient time to prove their worth.

However, with a new strategic plan set to be implemented, powerbrokers feel it is time to again shake things up at Belmore. The Bulldogs want to go back to being a development club once they fully recover from the salary cap issues the current regime inherited from the previous one.
Advertisement

There’s a belief that new blood is required to implement the strategy and to take the club to the next level.

Farrah’s exit ends a long association with Canterbury. The former NSW and Australian representative made 186 appearances for the club as a player over the course of a decade and previously held a position on the board. Farrar was also part of the NSW Blues staff before returning to the club.

Holmes’ appointment was seen as a coup when he was poached from Manly. The former Kangaroos team manager, who has also spent time at Parramatta, lasted just under a year at the Bulldogs.

Patmore is another former Bulldogs player now deemed surplus to requirements, while McDonnell departs after being poached from Wests Tigers.

It’s expected the quartet will finish up their current roles immediately.

The retention strategy of the Bulldogs has been widely criticised in recent years. Some of the big names that have been squeezed out of the club in recent years include Josh Reynolds, James Graham, Sam Kasiano, Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye. Many of those players were on heavily back-ended contracts that created salary cap pressures.

The club has shown faith in coach Dean Pay, handing him a one-year extension despite a difficult start to his tenure as an NRL coach.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not that disappointed to see McDonnell go he only seemed to attract ex Tigers. It will be good to see some fresh blood in these positions.

Reactions: DT

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m happy with the McDonnell move. He’s really done nothing to improve our squad. Hire Gould as recruitment

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How is Patmore sacked and the likes of Henderson and Penna still kicking
Patmore has been bouncing around the club for years and never impressed me with his coaching I think it was about time he went. Henderson and Penna will probably go at the end of the season.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Patmore has been bouncing around the club for years and never impressed me with his coaching I think it was about time he went. Henderson and Penna will probably go at the end of the season.
agree with both points. just seems odd to me they survived for now, but i guess you cant sack everyone all at once.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve got no problems with moving people on who are underperforming, I just find the timing peculiar to be honest!

It’s a shame we can’t pay someone like
Lichaa out and move him on also...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't Farrar appointed by the current board?

The thing that concerns me about the article is we want to go back to being a development club. Yes we need to develop youngsters but this needs to be balanced with quality recruitment. There is also zero loyalty from players - the days of developing a player and them staying loyal for unders is long gone.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve got no problems with moving people on who are underperforming, I just find the timing peculiar to be honest!

It’s a shame we can’t pay someone like
Lichaa out and move him on also...
It’s better to do it now then wait till the end of the season especially in regards to recruitment. They have plenty of time to prepare things rather then have someone that is fresh into the role when we are able to talk to players.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see who fills their spots.

Will it be:
a) inside jobs for the boys/friends ; OR
b) people best qualified for those positions.

AND PEOPLE ..

Keep boardroom bullshit (Des, Dib yadda yadda) out of here. If people shift the conversation to that bullshit again they'll be removed from the thread.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

The thing that concerns me about the article is we want to go back to being a development club. Yes we need to develop youngsters but this needs to be balanced with quality recruitment. There is also zero loyalty from players - the days of developing a player and them staying loyal for unders is long gone.
Thought Farrer was a Dib appointment when he was desperately trying to bring any ex bulldogs available back to the club in a last ditch effort to save himself.

Farrer seems like a good guy but the fact he’d managed a NSW side who’d had no success and a very poor culture wasn’t a ringing endorsement

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Farrar stood down from Dibs board prior to the election to become team manager so I think it was only a matter of time before he went.

I don’t think becoming a development club rules out ever signing quality players. They just want the majority coming through our system.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Farrar and Holmes might be paying the price for Mad Monday....

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s better to do it now then wait till the end of the season especially in regards to recruitment. They have plenty of time to prepare things rather then have someone that is fresh into the role when we are able to talk to players.
I don’t disagree, but if they didn’t have a sense of this before the start of the season, I’m even more concerned.

I’m not sure how unsettling this may be to the playing group (maybe not at all), but if it is, it supports the notion of doing this prior to the start of the season...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont know a whole lot about these people and the complexities of their roles, but Mcdonnel was meant to be a great signing given the players he has found, but he has barely made a ripple. Cant think of a notable player he has brought the club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hate this whole narrative of going back to a development club or whatever, hopefully it's just garbage being spewed via the media to keep certain fans happy.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see who fills their spots.

Will it be:
a) inside jobs for the boys/friends ; OR
b) people best qualified for those positions.

AND PEOPLE ..

Keep boardroom bullshit (Des, Dib yadda yadda) out of here. If people shift the conversation to that bullshit again they'll be removed from the thread.
Ben Anderson is appointed 'rolls eyes'