Dogs predicted R1 lineup

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d say so he had one of his starting half’s on when the other is off
That would have happened naturally even if he started with Lewis and Foran.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not fussed about Hopoate at fullback. Just to slow. If Hopoate was in the centre, with Smith outside him and
Meaney chiming in from fullback, it could get interesting.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not fussed about Hopoate at fullback. Just to slow. If Hopoate was in the centre, with Smith outside him and
Meaney chiming in from fullback, it could get interesting.
I strongly suggest you take the time to watch the last 7 Bulldogs games and then try and claim that Hopoate is not the best option for fullback.

Go Dogs

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m not having a dig at you, I’m just curious to your view on the below

Why wouldn’t Sue be on the bench?

Why would Meaney get a beach spot as a utility when he’s not one?
To me there is not much difference right now between Sue, Ogden, Fualalo and To'omaga.

Our backrow can all basically play 80 minutes each. Ogden and Fualalo backup Tolman and Napa. Elliott backs up the backrow and hooker. Meaney is there to backup 1-7. Also if we are behind with 15-20 min to go throw in Meaney at fullback and let Hopoate play a roaming position.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you take the time to watch the last 7 Bulldogs games and then try and claim that Hopoate is not the best option for fullback.

Go Dogs
Hopoate, Lewis, Smith and Martin were our best players at the end of last season.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Yes sir. It's not even a debate.

Non of our halves hold the ball up or create space. Hoppa creates the extra space with his silky ball handling skills.

He does a lot more work in D on our try line aswell. Meaney is a long way off, is definately not as good in attack, and needs some work on his communication and positioning in D.

Hoppa has the best hands in the comp, defuses every bomb and its not uncommon for him to run 200 metres. Just need to get him more involved in the attacking 20.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That would have happened naturally even if he started with Lewis and Foran.
He would be looking how each Foran and Lewis controll the team without the other on the field

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Non of our halves hold the ball up or create space.
Foran played them like a violin, they didn't know what he was going to do. Run hard, pass at the line, kick, dummy, pass inside, pass outside, he did all of that in 20 minutes.

Lewis just has that innate ability to control the pace of the game around him. They tried rushing him early and he stepped or passed around them, later on they left him space and kicked them into last week. I don't know how he does it, maybe he uses the force, gestures with his hand and everything slows down for him. It's freaky.

Go Dogs

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me there is not much difference right now between Sue, Ogden, Fualalo and To'omaga.

Our backrow can all basically play 80 minutes each. Ogden and Fualalo backup Tolman and Napa. Elliott backs up the backrow and hooker. Meaney is there to backup 1-7. Also if we are behind with 15-20 min to go throw in Meaney at fullback and let Hopoate play a roaming position.
I respect your position however just to clarify...Elliott cant play hooker and Meaney cant play 6 or 7. Also If Meaney plays Fullback what roaming role for Hopa would you be referring to? Fullback is generally the "roaming role" in attack.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
JMK does not offer anything more than Lichaa in attack.. but Lichaa is a much better defender and keeps our middle tight as others have mentioned.. I thought Michael was fine yesterday and we had a good roll on all that first half.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going off the trail and pre season interviews etc. Im pretty sure this will be the team rd1.

1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Montoya
4. Holland (gk)
5. Crihton
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Elliott

14. JMK
15. Sue
16. Faulolo
17. CHN
I think you're spot on. Would like another big body rather than JMK off the bench but I don't think Pay will go that way. Chris Smith has put his hand up to be noticed to take that spot IMO

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I have watched the last 7 games, and a lot of other Bulldog games. Hopoate is a fair footballer.
However, he is to slow, his defence is second rate, and his ball returns are non existent.
He does have the ability to set up other players to finish off what he may have started.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have watched the last 7 games, and a lot of other Bulldog games. Hopoate is a fair footballer.
However, he is to slow, his defence is second rate, and his ball returns are non existent.
He does have the ability to set up other players to finish off what he may have started.
true, thanks Christ Meaney has all of those qualities.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Foran played them like a violin, they didn't know what he was going to do. Run hard, pass at the line, kick, dummy, pass inside, pass outside, he did all of that in 20 minutes.

Lewis just has that innate ability to control the pace of the game around him. They tried rushing him early and he stepped or passed around them, later on they left him space and kicked them into last week. I don't know how he does it, maybe he uses the force, gestures with his hand and everything slows down for him. It's freaky.

Go Dogs
I think that's more a case of letting the defenders decide for you as opposed to creating a line break assist or suck defenders in if you get what I'm saying. That's why Hoppa compliments our halves imo

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I agree they tried to rush him and he adapted his kicking game to suit the speed, then when they backed off he slowed down and took the piss out of them like he usually does. He's a genuine article.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to understand why Cogger started with Foz in the halves instead of Lewis. Pay better not be getting any funny ideas.
The coaches know what Lewis can do. This was probably just about Pay keeping his word to Cogger that he would get his shot.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are people so eager to rush Will Hopoate to the retirement bin? He's easily our best fullback right now and is only 26. He should be fullback. Personally I would pick this team:

01. Will Hopoate
02. Reimis Smith
03. Kerrod Holland
04. Corey Harawira-Naera
05. Christian Crichton
06. Keiran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin (k)
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Nick Meaney
15. Adam Elliott
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Ofahiki Ogden
Not bad the only change I would make if Pay only play 3 forwards is someone with versatility but then who would pick for that role.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have been more concerned if he had played Cogger/Lewis as it would make me wonder what confidence Pay has in Foran staying healthy... but I think we will see Cogger at some stage this season, whether it be off the bench, or as a replacement... Don't think anybody should be questioning whether or not Lewis will be starting in round 1... that's just obvious... Dean ain't no fool

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing as we only have 1 trial I was thinking that we got the insight on the players. Now who do you think will get told for R1.

I predict:

Hoppa
Smith
Holland
Montoya
Crichton (would like Meany to get prepared but)
Foran
Lewis
Tolman
Lichaa
Napa
Jacko
RFM
Elliot
JMK
CHN
Sue
Fualaou

You predict:
We are looking very thin in the centres.....Chris Smith needs to play in the centres...Montoya will get lapped