Pay day coming article -The Roar

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good read, like the reference to the 1995 team, some valid comparisons there, down to player by player. Still remember the innocuous looking hit on Lazarus, looked like nothing much on impact, but the effect was effective.

Go Dogs

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a good read, bit like a lot off the stuff we have been saying here. Supporters say i think that might be The Kennel . Its nice for a change to read something positive about the dogs with the new players and what us as supporters are expecting from our Team. For a Roar rookie Daniel has done a good job and agree with most off his comments. love to read more in the future.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm always optimistic going in to a new season. To me this is what being a fan is all about. We can never say for sure what The season will bring, but I'm keen as fuck for this season to begin!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm always optimistic going in to a new season. To me this is what being a fan is all about. We can never say for sure what The season will bring, but I'm keen as fuck for this season to begin!!!
Are we there yet ............... are we there yet ................. are we there yet .......... etc.

Go Dogs

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once Woods fucked off we started to play a lot better. As long as the off field dramas haven't affected the group we should (hopefully) have a decent run this year.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
That was a great read.

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes I'm obviously biased but I'm believing the hype.Love our boys attitude,love the changes made,love the competition for spots,love how fit our boys look & I can't wait to put on my Doggies jersey & wear it with pride.GO THE MIGHTY DOGGIES!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I too go into each new season with at least some optimism.

Having said that, these articles to me are all a bit blah blah blah. Get out there and show us what you've got. And of courser the article references that tired old cliche of "Dogs of War"....

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I too go into each new season with at least some optimism.

Having said that, these articles to me are all a bit blah blah blah. Get out there and show us what you've got. And of courser the article references that tired old cliche of "Dogs of War"....
Yep. I'm always hopeful we'll do better than the previous year, but I've heard these words too many times and been disappointed for most of the season, with a handful of games that made me feel we had something, then lost it again.

I've got a bit of tour work on this year, and will be away for a good part of season,with a few weeks at home between tours. Won't be able to watch games live while I'm away, because of the time differences,so will have to check up on the Kennel and highlights videos. Will be annoyed if we really perform well, and I miss the games.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't really see that many similarities to the 95 side in this current team to be honest.

That 95 team was full of hardened experienced players that won the minor premiership the year before and that 95 plus they had one of the greats in Lamb that would do anything to win.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't really see that many similarities to the 95 side in this current team to be honest.
That 95 team was full of hardened experienced players that won the minor premiership the year before and that 95 plus they had one of the greats in Lamb that would do anything to win.
The problem with any such comparison is the 1995 team is "legendary" in Bulldogs circles. As a result I know this is a no win scenario, so just a few comparisons.

Chris Anderson, an ex Bulldogs premiership winning player, was the coach, as is Dean Pay who was a prop in the winning 1995 team.
The centres were John Timu and Mathew Ryan, highly competent but hardly world beaters (sound familiar?). Ryan was the leading try scorer in the NRL but not for a couple more years, same year he played for NSW.
The wingers were Jason Williams and the goal kicking legend Darryl Halligan, who is Rhyse Martin's kicking coach.
Steve Price was in his 1st full year, playing 2nd row, and wouldn't play for the Cane Toads for another couple of years, but on their radar (sound familiar?).
Of course Terry Lamb is .....well ... Terry Lamb and hence incomparable.

What I liked about the 1995 team was that they played as team, for the team and hunted in a pack. They were ruthless, especially in defence (just ask Glen Lazarus). My biggest hope is this team can emulate that attitude.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The problem with any such comparison is the 1995 team is "legendary" in Bulldogs circles. As a result I know this is a no win scenario, so just a few comparisons.

Chris Anderson, an ex Bulldogs premiership winning player, was the coach, as is Dean Pay who was a prop in the winning 1995 team.
The centres were John Timu and Mathew Ryan, highly competent but hardly world beaters (sound familiar?). Ryan was the leading try scorer in the NRL but not for a couple more years, same year he played for NSW.
The wingers were Jason Williams and the goal kicking legend Darryl Halligan, who is Rhyse Martin's kicking coach.
Steve Price was in his 1st full year, playing 2nd row, and wouldn't play for the Cane Toads for another couple of years, but on their radar (sound familiar?).

What I liked about the 1995 team was that they played as team, for the team and hunted in a pack. They were ruthless, especially in defence (just ask Glen Lazarus). My biggest hope is this team can emulate that attitude.

Go Dogs
I reckon to this day, Lazo still regrets running into Dean Pay in the 95 Semi. Deadset looked like he ran into a brick wall.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
This team reminds me of the teams around 92-93 if anything. They had a few premiership winning players coming into first grade from Presidents Cup and had a big turnover of players after a lot of the hard heads went to Wests. Polly, Smith brothers, Dymock, Pay and Gillies all got blooded and a lot of these players went on to win the comp in 95 and I think the current team is at the stage we were in 92.

John Timu was a All Black and a absolutely weapon he was more then just a average player. Brett Dallas was a Origin winger that missed the last few finals games too. That backline had some talent.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Brett Dallas was a Origin winger that missed the last few finals games too.
I was going to include the ranga comparison, but winger to prop was a stretch too far.

He was quick, won the Botany Bay Gift sprint if I remember rightly. I think he played in the Canberra game the week before and hurt his knee so didn't play in GF.

Go Dogs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice article.

Like most on here I am optimistic about the season. However if I am being 100% objective I still think we have the worst roster in the comp. This is especially the case in the spine. Meaney/Lewis/Foran/Lichha is easily the weakest spine in the comp.

Of course having the worst team on paper doesnt mean we will come last. It just means my expectations are relatively low.

Unfortunately the Foran signing has killed us. He played like $250k player last year but we have him on a $1 million plus. If we had Pearce instead of Foran I would put us as Top 6 certainties. Look at the knights last year without Pearce. They couldnt win a game despite still having Ponga. It shows how much teams need a quality half.

Hope I am proven wrong