News Time to make tough call on mid contract breaks.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Personal reasons to break a contract is what every single player use to get out of their contracts. Fucking load of shit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How was Klemmer or his manager to know that Newcastle were interested and had an offer on the table? Clearly there has been some collusion here.
Could easily be the other way around, timing wise. Klemmer asks for a release a month or so ago and due to "personal reasons" he wants to head north. We ask "Newcastle area?", he says "Yes, that would be OK". So we release him to talk to Newcastle only. He tells his agent and he talks to Newcastle, say, 3 weeks ago. Blabbermouths can't help but talk to the press and it gets out.

If him or his agent had approached Newcastle, or vice versa, without our clearance first then we have every right to sue their pants off. But it doesn't seem that way as when we were asked we said we had allowed him to talk to Newcastle (only).

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Personal reasons to break a contract is what every single player use to get out of their contracts. Fucking load of shit.
To be absolutely correct here, if we release him he's not breaking the contract. If we don't release him then he can't sign with anyone in the NRL (or SuperLeague if I remember rightly).

It is worth keeping in mind that $BW broke his Bulldogs contract, the NRL said no to a contract with any other NRL team, so he went to Union for a couple of years. That's the risk the NRL has, loosing an NRL player to another code. But if the Newcastle area is involved in the "personal reasons" then what's Klemmer going to do, play for the Central Coats Mariners. Although they do have vacancy with Usain Bolt leaving, but I suspect $150k isn't going to cut it.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problem players leaving for family issues as long as they get paid the same or less leaving to play for another club.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it pretty well known that Andrew Johns was the intermediary between Klemmer and Knights. Johns approached him.

Malla

Reaction score
Could easily be the other way around, timing wise. Klemmer asks for a release a month or so ago and due to "personal reasons" he wants to head north. We ask "Newcastle area?", he says "Yes, that would be OK". So we release him to talk to Newcastle only. He tells his agent and he talks to Newcastle, say, 3 weeks ago. Blabbermouths can't help but talk to the press and it gets out.

If him or his agent had approached Newcastle, or vice versa, without our clearance first then we have every right to sue their pants off. But it doesn't seem that way as when we were asked we said we had allowed him to talk to Newcastle (only).

Go Dogs
That is still collusion

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That is still collusion
Not if the talking with Newcastle starts 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week (which is about the time line) after we cleared him to talk to Newcastle.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
Not if the talking with Newcastle starts 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week (which is about the time line) after we cleared him to talk to Newcastle.

Go Dogs
You can never prove that it happened however it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that some sort of collusion went on. Newcastle doesn't come up with this type of offer unless some tampering has gone on. It's a massive grey area in our game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You can never prove that it happened however it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that some sort of collusion went on. Newcastle doesn't come up with this type of offer unless some tampering has gone on. It's a massive grey area in our game.
Not really, they had cap space, a lot of it, just sitting there waiting. Within 10 minutes of knowing that Klemmer was able to negotiate I could put an offer together. It ain't that hard. Then a heads of agreement to sign within a couple of days. Newcastle probably has a vanilla one that they use for every player, just fill in the name and the dates. Of course the contract itself takes time to get together, the wording right, all the I's dotted and T's crossed, but that doesn't need to be done before Xmas. Even that isn't that hard, the NRL has a standard contract to draw from.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
Not really, they had cap space, a lot of it, just sitting there waiting. Within 10 minutes of knowing that Klemmer was able to negotiate I could put an offer together. It ain't that hard. Then a heads of agreement to sign within a couple of days. Newcastle probably has a vanilla one that they use for every player, just fill in the name and the dates. Of course the contract itself takes time to get together, the wording right, all the I's dotted and T's crossed, but that doesn't need to be done before Xmas. Even that isn't that hard, the NRL has a standard contract to draw from.

Go Dogs
It doesn't work like that mate.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It doesn't work like that mate.
It does if both sides want it. Especially, as in this case, training is just about to start. Good for both parties, the player doesn’t start training with one club, have to say good bye to his team mates and move to a new club. The club gets the benefit of the new player starting on day 1 of training. Allowing for Klemmers delayed start due to international duties of course.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
It does if both sides want it. Especially, as in this case, training is just about to start. Good for both parties, the player doesn’t start training with one club, have to say good bye to his team mates and move to a new club. The club gets the benefit of the new player starting on day 1 of training. Allowing for Klemmers delayed start due to international duties of course.

Go Dogs
As in it doesnt work like that in putting together a contract offer within a day - it takes days and weeks of deliberation. You can't put together a contract offer without the NRL sanctioning it. A lot of what we have seen in the media is shit Klemmer and his manager have spun before the fact, hence why there is collusion involved in my opinion.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As in it doesnt work like that in putting together a contract offer within a day - it takes days and weeks of deliberation. You can't put together a contract offer without the NRL sanctioning it. A lot of what we have seen in the media is shit Klemmer and his manager have spun before the fact, hence why there is collusion involved in my opinion.
If we give Klemmer an NRL contract release, there's standard wording from the NRL, he can start training with Newcastle. Print it out and all parties sign it, that's it. There are cut off dates but the bottom line is they have until they want him to play, which I think includes official NRL trial games, then and only then do they need a register an NRL contract. Player contracts don't vary all that much, they are pretty much vanilla in the main body approved by the NRL.

It's a pretty simple discussion to sign a player, you want to move to Newcastle, we'll pay you $x per year, contract for y years. Shake hands, sign one page heads of agreement, done. If I wanted a player I'd have a ready made heads of agreement and just hand write in the $'s and the Years after negotiations. Either party can pull out anytime if they show just cause.

Right now I doubt that there is a contract, certainly not a final one, because there simply doesn't need to be one.

Go Dogs