News Time to make tough call on mid contract breaks.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I see everyone still raving on about klemmer... geez, he’s gone get over it! He wants to follow the coin let him leave, personally I don’t want to see the club offering anymore then what he’s on... good bye, you been a great servant... we find someone that wants to be here...
I know right? Whilst were at it, lets just get rid of contracts altogether. Players just rock up when they feel like it.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article contradicts itself. Starts out by saying we can't doubt him wanting to leave for personal reasons, but then proceeds to doubt it by implying it is about the cash.

Sorry, but I don't buy this "personal reasons" excuse one iota. Fucking man up and say you want more cash, or you don;t like the culture etc. The only thing personal is his personal bank account.
I think author is probably scared of defamation hence a lot of I don't think Klemmer is doing this but implied it next sentence.

Also the personal reasons wants to leave is a joke right , seriously other than him trying to leave the dogs he gets hardly any media scrutiny .

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm comfortable with the club just saying NO regardless of the blokes needs. Once upon time you had to harden up, do your time and work on a solution for when you are free again. Let's remember that this blokes problem is that he is only getting 600k or so per year.....sounds terrible.

Dogschat

Waterboy
Reaction score
https://www.zerotackle.com/time-to-make-a-tough-call-on-mid-contract-breaks-37605/

Dan Nicholls November 2, 2018 - 10:33 am

David Klemmer’s reported request to be released has the rugby league world talking. It might be time to have a discussion re making a hard decision.

Reports that Bulldogs enforcer David Klemmer has requested an immediate release from the Bulldogs have got the entire NRL community talking.

Earlier this week, one of the game’s premier props reportedly submitted an official request to the Bulldogs board to release him from the remaining two-years of his contract, sighting personal reasons.

The reports state that Klemmer is looking to escape the scrutiny of Sydney, meaning he will most likely link up with the Knights if a release were granted.

Klemmer is far from the first, nor will he be the last, player to make such a request on personal grounds, but the size of his profile and importance to the Dogs has social media buzzing.

In a rugby league world where contracts continue to mean less and less, now is the time to have a very genuine discussion about what can be done in such circumstances.

No one has any reason to believe that Klemmer is not being 100% genuine in his request. There is no doubt that his celebrity status in Sydney is much greater than it would be in the Hunter. It’s the nature of the Sydney beast.

Media scrutiny is constant, as shown by the fact that one publication went to ridiculous lengths to photograph team mates of Klemmer’s during the Bulldogs’ Mad Monday celebrations.

Few could deny the fact that Klemmer would be much more relaxed and able to move on from whatever problems he may be struggling with, without that constant Sydney spot light.

What has me scratching my head though is a report that indicates Newcastle are willing to offer Klemmer a MASSIVE deal to sign with the club.

That is no shock, this is a starting rep prop and pretty much the exact mould of player Nathan Brown needs to complete his recruitment drive of the past two seasons, but the numbers are staggering.

The skeptic in me can’t help but notice the numbers are also much, MUCH bigger than that of Klemmer’s current contract.

There’s no doubt that Klemmer should be able to fully explore his earning potentials but if the reason for the request is purely for personal reasons, surely Klemmer would be willing to sign an a contract out of Sydney to the same value of his current deal.

The Dogs, again, look to be big losers in this situation, no matter how they rule.

If they deny Klemmer this request the tensions will boil. I guarantee you Klemmer’s manager will be in everybody’s ear re negativity at the Dogs. It will become an issue. Whether Dean Pay and co can convince him to stay is a big question.

If they do the ‘right’ thing and release Klemmer, they’ll be passing on a second rep prop in less than twelve months, and will infuriate fans.

The club has seen both Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye walked from the club due to salary cap restraints, while both Morris twins were allowed to leave for similar reasons.

A big chunk of the cap for 2019 and beyond will have been dedicated to Klemmer.

Should Klemmer be allowed to walk, the cap space freed up will have been enough to cover either Mbye or Woods, you’d imagine.

So the Dogs would be left with a HUGE gap to fill in a time where the large majority of NRL talent has already been secured.

If I were the Dogs I would deny Klemmer’s request pending a player swap to cover his position. I’d be putting my hand out to the Knights, Raiders and other non-Sydney teams demanding a replacement.

They would be well within their rights to do so, after all Klemmer is a contracted player … whatever that counts for these days.

In no way am I targeting Klemmer, or suggesting that his reasons for moving are motivated by anything other than escaping the Sydney fish-bowl, but these are tough discussions we have to be having.

What’s stopping player x from club y waiting until the end of the season, seeing which club has a mountain of cap space and then sighting personal reasons as a way to cash in? You can’t tell me this hasn’t been done in the past!?

I’m all for player welfare and if it helps Klemmer and his family, then the Dogs really need to take a long look at this tough call. That said, why should they suffer to such a great degree?

Is it worth implementing that any releases for personal reasons be met with the same contract, on same terms, at a different club?

Or are the Knights, and Klemmer, within their rights to take advantage of a situation?

These are all tough, and sometimes inappropriate questions that we need to be asking.

Also, as an aside, where are these reports re contract numbers from the Knights coming from? They should have had no communication as such with Klemmer without the Dog’s written permission. Pure speculation?
I mean seriously does David Klemmer take us as fools. Personnel reasons really. Blind Freddy can see its about the almighty dollar. But please Mr Klemmer understand there is a contract. They all sing the same tune when they want out Ben Barbara is a case in point needed to leave Sydney ends up at Sharks. The only fool is he who assumes us the fool but the bigger fool is he who grants him an early release.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck Klemmer. I wouldn't release him under any circumstance. How many dud/shit contracts have we been obliged to honour over the years.
IF we let him go, give us Ponga (split the bill 50/50 with the Knights) and then pay out Klemmer's entire contract.
Are people missing the point that the ball is in OUR court.. Fuck em all.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pearce's comments regarding how Klemmer can't wait to get to Newcastle makes me think Klem believes he can just walk out on his contract with no repercussions... fuck him, and fuck Pearce too

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pearce's comments regarding how Klemmer can't wait to get to Newcastle makes me think Klem believes he can just walk out on his contract with no repercussions... fuck him, and fuck Pearce too
I 100% thought the same if our club any balls we say we get ramien or hes not getting a release watch them release jesse they need klem bad

Boldslug

Waterboy
Reaction score
This is all symptomatic of rugby league dying a slow death. The game is leaking fans to the soccer juggernaut. The easiest answer is transfer fees that also count to the cap of the buying club - that would sort out this nonsense straight away.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
It would appear that the salary cap acts like a free marketing drafting system. The more successful your individuals become, the more it will even out as others can poach them. We should be looking for talent that has developed too quickly in other teams and hence are not on good money for what they are delivering - this way we can make the pillaging a two way street for a change! It might be another 2 years before we can do that properly, but surely we have an advantage to bring in the stars for more money than other teams can pay. We should look at all the clubs that have used up their salary cap and pick apart their team about to be off contract and find the gold! ;)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I thought his comments were that he would love to play alongside Klemmer.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought his comments were that he would love to play alongside Klemmer.

I bet he can't wait to play with Klemmer

Apparently he said that Klemmer told him he can't wait to get up there... I don't know where that stemmed from though so it could be #fakenews

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Obviously we lost Klemm when his bum buddy was shown the door, then realised he is shite at negotiations. Oh how I would love our club to show some balls on this one and just say NO!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Player managers in Australia are all just fucking parasites that have watched one to many episodes of Ballers

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think there should be no such thing as a contract longer than 2 years for starters. Too many long ones get broken.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I bet he can't wait to play with Klemmer

Apparently he said that Klemmer told him he can't wait to get up there... I don't know where that stemmed from though so it could be #fakenews
2409A0F7-2035-4D69-B3F7-BC94569CA53B.jpeg

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sharks had the same issue with maloney. The difference is their coach and board arent a bunch of pussies.
Good example !!! Dogs board members reading this message.. you better get someone good like another marquee player..shaun johnson or Marty taupau..
Like for like not another potentional young star on the rise...shit we have enough of them

Malla

Reaction score
There should be a fee or an ERA for anyone who wants to break a contract early to take up another.

Example - if Klemmer breaks his contact 2 years early, the extra money per year Klemmer would be earning at Knights should be paid to the Bulldogs OR we should get a salary cap exemption for that amount. Also, teams who openly negotiate or facilitate this shit while a player is contracted should be suspended from signing players for a number of years depending on how blatant it is and the player managers who orchestrate this should also be suspended.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, teams who openly negotiate or facilitate this shit while a player is contracted should be suspended from signing players for a number of years depending on how blatant it is and the player managers who orchestrate this should also be suspended.
None of that applies in this case, we allowed Klemmer to talk to Newcastle and only Newcastle. So if another club tries it on then hit 'em hard.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
None of that applies in this case, we allowed Klemmer to talk to Newcastle and only Newcastle. So if another club tries it on then hit 'em hard.

Go Dogs
How was Klemmer or his manager to know that Newcastle were interested and had an offer on the table? Clearly there has been some collusion here.