News Time to make tough call on mid contract breaks.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.zerotackle.com/time-to-make-a-tough-call-on-mid-contract-breaks-37605/

Dan Nicholls November 2, 2018 - 10:33 am

David Klemmer’s reported request to be released has the rugby league world talking. It might be time to have a discussion re making a hard decision.

Reports that Bulldogs enforcer David Klemmer has requested an immediate release from the Bulldogs have got the entire NRL community talking.

Earlier this week, one of the game’s premier props reportedly submitted an official request to the Bulldogs board to release him from the remaining two-years of his contract, sighting personal reasons.

The reports state that Klemmer is looking to escape the scrutiny of Sydney, meaning he will most likely link up with the Knights if a release were granted.

Klemmer is far from the first, nor will he be the last, player to make such a request on personal grounds, but the size of his profile and importance to the Dogs has social media buzzing.

In a rugby league world where contracts continue to mean less and less, now is the time to have a very genuine discussion about what can be done in such circumstances.

No one has any reason to believe that Klemmer is not being 100% genuine in his request. There is no doubt that his celebrity status in Sydney is much greater than it would be in the Hunter. It’s the nature of the Sydney beast.

Media scrutiny is constant, as shown by the fact that one publication went to ridiculous lengths to photograph team mates of Klemmer’s during the Bulldogs’ Mad Monday celebrations.

Few could deny the fact that Klemmer would be much more relaxed and able to move on from whatever problems he may be struggling with, without that constant Sydney spot light.

What has me scratching my head though is a report that indicates Newcastle are willing to offer Klemmer a MASSIVE deal to sign with the club.

That is no shock, this is a starting rep prop and pretty much the exact mould of player Nathan Brown needs to complete his recruitment drive of the past two seasons, but the numbers are staggering.

The skeptic in me can’t help but notice the numbers are also much, MUCH bigger than that of Klemmer’s current contract.

There’s no doubt that Klemmer should be able to fully explore his earning potentials but if the reason for the request is purely for personal reasons, surely Klemmer would be willing to sign an a contract out of Sydney to the same value of his current deal.

The Dogs, again, look to be big losers in this situation, no matter how they rule.

If they deny Klemmer this request the tensions will boil. I guarantee you Klemmer’s manager will be in everybody’s ear re negativity at the Dogs. It will become an issue. Whether Dean Pay and co can convince him to stay is a big question.

If they do the ‘right’ thing and release Klemmer, they’ll be passing on a second rep prop in less than twelve months, and will infuriate fans.

The club has seen both Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye walked from the club due to salary cap restraints, while both Morris twins were allowed to leave for similar reasons.

A big chunk of the cap for 2019 and beyond will have been dedicated to Klemmer.

Should Klemmer be allowed to walk, the cap space freed up will have been enough to cover either Mbye or Woods, you’d imagine.

So the Dogs would be left with a HUGE gap to fill in a time where the large majority of NRL talent has already been secured.

If I were the Dogs I would deny Klemmer’s request pending a player swap to cover his position. I’d be putting my hand out to the Knights, Raiders and other non-Sydney teams demanding a replacement.

They would be well within their rights to do so, after all Klemmer is a contracted player … whatever that counts for these days.

In no way am I targeting Klemmer, or suggesting that his reasons for moving are motivated by anything other than escaping the Sydney fish-bowl, but these are tough discussions we have to be having.

What’s stopping player x from club y waiting until the end of the season, seeing which club has a mountain of cap space and then sighting personal reasons as a way to cash in? You can’t tell me this hasn’t been done in the past!?

I’m all for player welfare and if it helps Klemmer and his family, then the Dogs really need to take a long look at this tough call. That said, why should they suffer to such a great degree?

Is it worth implementing that any releases for personal reasons be met with the same contract, on same terms, at a different club?

Or are the Knights, and Klemmer, within their rights to take advantage of a situation?

These are all tough, and sometimes inappropriate questions that we need to be asking.

Also, as an aside, where are these reports re contract numbers from the Knights coming from? They should have had no communication as such with Klemmer without the Dog’s written permission. Pure speculation?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good article which raises a very valid point.

If it's not about money, then take the contract at the same amount Dogs offered.
If it's about money, the answer should be NO you stay put.
No doubt if his manager wasn't going to get a cut of the deal this wouldn't have happened. The manager at present shouldn't be entitled to any of Klemmers last contract because it was negotiated without him and in the back of my head a voice is telling me when Klemmer joined the stable the manager represents this manager decided that the sooner he could entice Klemmer to walk out on the current deal the better. What use is it representing a player if you get nothing out of it.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Force a fair trade or a trade in our favour or Klemmer doesn't leave. He can then be upset with the Knights once he finds out they wouldn't let go of anyone worth any value to get him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
No doubt if his manager wasn't going to get a cut of the deal this wouldn't have happened. The manager at present shouldn't be entitled to any of Klemmers last contract because it was negotiated without him and in the back of my head a voice is telling me when Klemmer joined the stable the manager represents this manager decided that the sooner he could entice Klemmer to walk out on the current deal the better. What use is it representing a player if you get nothing out of it.
I just posted in another thread (there's like 481,000 on Klemmer at the moment as expected), but if our club was smart, use his manager to our advantage.

Isaac Moses has a shitload of players signed to him / his business Cove Agency.

We tell him "you find us a quality prop and centre, and Klemmer gets a release". If not.. we keep him... and we make sure that prop and centre are NOT managed by him.

So let him make the calls, chase the deals, and work with ANOTHER player manager to get us who we want.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just posted in another thread (there's like 481,000 on Klemmer at the moment as expected), but if our club was smart, use his manager to our advantage.

We tell him "you find us a quality prop and centre, and Klemmer gets a release". If not.. we keep him... and we make sure that prop and centre are NOT managed by him.

So let him make the calls, chase the deals, and work with ANOTHER player manager to get us who we want.
Very valid point. I reckon we should swap klemmer for herman ese'ese and ramien

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the NRL should be a bit more strict with these sort of things. If a contract is signed it should be seen out. If both parties want to move on then there should be a point for that. But if the club doesn't want a player then tough. And if a player wants to leave mid contract (like klem, mason, sonny, barba etc) maybe disallow them to play nrl the following season (just like in basketball when a high school/college player changes team they are red shirted for a year).

At least that way a player would wait until the end of a contract to move, or sit out unpaid for a season. Sad our administration has bungled some of the best NRL players in the last 20 years with releases and we got literally nothing out of it.

If we lose klemmer fair enough we shave a few hundred gees off our cap but we lose the only rep player we have on the roster..... Which other sporting organisation would do such a thing without receiving something in exchange.......

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive said all along that penalty clauses must be inserted in all contracts.

jimbob

Waterboy
Reaction score
https://www.zerotackle.com/time-to-make-a-tough-call-on-mid-contract-breaks-37605/

David Klemmer’s reported request to be released has the rugby league world talking. It might be time to have a discussion re making a hard decision.

Reports that Bulldogs enforcer David Klemmer has requested an immediate release from the Bulldogs have got the entire NRL community talking.

Earlier this week, one of the game’s premier props reportedly submitted an official request to the Bulldogs board to release him from the remaining two-years of his contract, sighting personal reasons.

The reports state that Klemmer is looking to escape the scrutiny of Sydney, meaning he will most likely link up with the Knights if a release were granted.

Klemmer is far from the first, nor will he be the last, player to make such a request on personal grounds, but the size of his profile and importance to the Dogs has social media buzzing.

In a rugby league world where contracts continue to mean less and less, now is the time to have a very genuine discussion about what can be done in such circumstances.

No one has any reason to believe that Klemmer is not being 100% genuine in his request. There is no doubt that his celebrity status in Sydney is much greater than it would be in the Hunter. It’s the nature of the Sydney beast.

Media scrutiny is constant, as shown by the fact that one publication went to ridiculous lengths to photograph team mates of Klemmer’s during the Bulldogs’ Mad Monday celebrations.

Few could deny the fact that Klemmer would be much more relaxed and able to move on from whatever problems he may be struggling with, without that constant Sydney spot light.

What has me scratching my head though is a report that indicates Newcastle are willing to offer Klemmer a MASSIVE deal to sign with the club.

That is no shock, this is a starting rep prop and pretty much the exact mould of player Nathan Brown needs to complete his recruitment drive of the past two seasons, but the numbers are staggering.

The skeptic in me can’t help but notice the numbers are also much, MUCH bigger than that of Klemmer’s current contract.

There’s no doubt that Klemmer should be able to fully explore his earning potentials but if the reason for the request is purely for personal reasons, surely Klemmer would be willing to sign an a contract out of Sydney to the same value of his current deal.

The Dogs, again, look to be big losers in this situation, no matter how they rule.

If they deny Klemmer this request the tensions will boil. I guarantee you Klemmer’s manager will be in everybody’s ear re negativity at the Dogs. It will become an issue. Whether Dean Pay and co can convince him to stay is a big question.

If they do the ‘right’ thing and release Klemmer, they’ll be passing on a second rep prop in less than twelve months, and will infuriate fans.

The club has seen both Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye walked from the club due to salary cap restraints, while both Morris twins were allowed to leave for similar reasons.

Should Klemmer be allowed to walk, the cap space freed up will have been enough to cover either Mbye or Woods, you’d imagine.

So the Dogs would be left with a HUGE gap to fill in a time where the large majority of NRL talent has already been secured.

If I were the Dogs I would deny Klemmer’s request pending a player swap to cover his position. I’d be putting my hand out to the Knights, Raiders and other non-Sydney teams demanding a replacement.

They would be well within their rights to do so, after all Klemmer is a contracted player … whatever that counts for these days.

In no way am I targeting Klemmer, or suggesting that his reasons for moving are motivated by anything other than escaping the Sydney fish-bowl, but these are tough discussions we have to be having.

What’s stopping player x from club y waiting until the end of the season, seeing which club has a mountain of cap space and then sighting personal reasons as a way to cash in? You can’t tell me this hasn’t been done in the past!?

I’m all for player welfare and if it helps Klemmer and his family, then the Dogs really need to take a long look at this tough call. That said, why should they suffer to such a great degree?

Is it worth implementing that any releases for personal reasons be met with the same contract, on same terms, at a different club?

Or are the Knights, and Klemmer, within their rights to take advantage of a situation?

These are all tough, and sometimes inappropriate questions that we need to be asking.

Also, as an aside, where are these reports re contract numbers from the Knights coming from? They should have had no communication as such with Klemmer without the Dog’s written permission. Pure speculation?

jimbob

Waterboy
Reaction score
A lot of bulldog fans will be watching the clubs handling of Klemmers situation. If we let another rep player go for more money then others will see " personal " reasons as a way out and we will never put a competitive team on the park ever again, we will always be an easy beat team. I know personally this is my line in the sand. I have followed and loved the Bulldogs for 45 years. Klemmers should be denied a release and made to either play isp or sit out 2 years. Not the best situation for David to be in but the club must do this.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buderus on Klemmer's potential impact at Knights
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/02/buderus-on-klemmers-potential-impact-at-knights/

Commentary like this shits me to tears. All designed to create a wave of bullshit sentiment in his club, fans, and the NRL. Crap like this should not happen until afterthe deadline

Hope his comments jinx the knights
He won't have any impact mate. How many times have we seen good players move to to other clubs to become average. For instance, what did aaron woods achieve at the sharks? What did rex achieve at the dogs? Forwards have an important but not the biggest role. We will find a strong replacement. there will, however, be pressure on klemmer to perform and he might fade with ponga and pearce being more bigger than him at the hunter

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great report and insight Mr I

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I think that slime Isaac Moses would'nt give a flying f... about players unless he could get money from them.I'd like to know how many ISP players he represents.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great idea

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buderus on Klemmer's potential impact at Knights
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/02/buderus-on-klemmers-potential-impact-at-knights/

Commentary like this shits me to tears. All designed to create a wave of bullshit sentiment in his club, fans, and the NRL. Crap like this should not happen until afterthe deadline

Hope his comments jinx the knights
He talks as if it is a done deal, maybe it is, Im wondering what we get in return, it appears they are not willing to give anything, all we get is more cap space, thats no good if there is no one willing to be bought.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I think that slime Isaac Moses would'nt give a flying f... about players unless he could get money from them.I'd like to know how many ISP players he represents.
And how much work he actually does for them.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Article contradicts itself. Starts out by saying we can't doubt him wanting to leave for personal reasons, but then proceeds to doubt it by implying it is about the cash.

Sorry, but I don't buy this "personal reasons" excuse one iota. Fucking man up and say you want more cash, or you don;t like the culture etc. The only thing personal is his personal bank account.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see everyone still raving on about klemmer... geez, he’s gone get over it! He wants to follow the coin let him leave, personally I don’t want to see the club offering anymore then what he’s on... good bye, you been a great servant... we find someone that wants to be here...