2019 FG Squad...Thoughts...?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The backline options are a major worry. The options include Crichton, Holland, Harper, Smith, Montoya, Hopoate. FFS, theres not a tackler in the lot of them.
I only hope CHN is put there. Smith and Crichton probably cover the wings, but the centres are a mess.
Harper has the potential to be very good defensively in first grade, I'd have him in the centres with Hopoate on his wing. Defence comes down to communication most of the time and that's why we should let the Holland/Smith combo to grow as they seem to get on well and trust each other on the attacking end and now they just need that to translate defensively.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You are seriously are the worst judge of rugby league I have ever read.
Not objective at all and frankly no clue.
So the greatest expert of all time thinks the centres are all OK. I think they are a mess.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Harper has the potential to be very good defensively in first grade, I'd have him in the centres with Hopoate on his wing. Defence comes down to communication most of the time and that's why we should let the Holland/Smith combo to grow as they seem to get on well and trust each other on the attacking end and now they just need that to translate defensively.
Yh i'd probably rather Hoppa on the wing also. His lack of acceleration and agility is just too much of an issue for me at fullback while on the wing he can sort of manage it with some well timed runs and relying on his strength and step to beat players. His finishing is great if it's still what it used to be, his great in the air offensively and defensively, strong ball runner capable of an offload and is a smart player. Could work but i doubt Pay will entertain the idea. Harper definitely looks the most promising back we have coming through atm.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really doubt the back line is anywhere near settled yet. Smith and Hoppa are the only locked in spots at this point for mine and who knows where Hoppa plays.
I really hope he retains the FB spot, he’s light years ahead of every other FB at our club.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me the most pleasing thing about 2019 is the number players completing for positions, so they will be giving it all.
Only the forwards are fighting for a position. We lack depth in the backs big time.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really hope he retains the FB spot, he’s light years ahead of every other FB at our club.
I believe you are correct about Hopoate being the best available this season. I just hope Meaney can have a good off season and cement his spot there next season.
Hopoate is reasonably safe, but a fullback needs more than that. He just hasnt got it.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Josh cleland posted on insta last training session and game for the blue and white,disappointing he is being let go

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Montoya will be playing in the centres in 2019 apparently.

So Montoya and Holland in the centres with Crichton and Smith on the wings and Hoppa out the back.
the addition of Crichton and Montoya in the centres... despite the solid form of the other 3, makes it a strong candidate for the worst backline in the comp sadly

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tell this to Trafford10. I'm sure he will agree with you.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the addition of Crichton and Montoya in the centres... despite the solid form of the other 3, makes it a strong candidate for the worst backline in the comp sadly
It’s definitely not top 8 material not enough strike.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defensively a worry but if they step up could surprise us

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. Crighton
3. Holland
4. Smith
5. Hopoate
6. Lewis
7. Cogger
8. Elliott
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. RFM

14. Martin
15. Tolman
16. Sue
17. Ogden

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. Crighton
3. Holland
4. Smith
5. Hopoate
6. Lewis
7. Cogger
8. Elliott
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. RFM

14. Martin
15. Tolman
16. Sue
17. Ogden
I dont think we could improve much on that squad.
I would prefer to start with Tolman as prop instead of Elliott, and Sue before CHN in backrow.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t believe we can’t sign a decent centre and I’m so pissed off that pay didn’t give Cleeland a go in first grade ahead of Frawley......it’s not like we were ever in semi finals contention....it was the perfect opportunity to see him perform with better players around him....he was going to leave at the end of 2017 if Hasler was still coaching but pay wanted him to stay....feel sorry for the kid because all he wantS is an opportunity and I honestly believe he has potential....look at Lewis.....what did he do in nsw cup...nothing special....but put him in first grade with better players and he plays so much better....pay should have given him a go
We had alot of defensive issues down that side of field this year. And cleeland has a bad habit of racing up and causing easy overlap for opposition. Might have played a part in it.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If hoppa is too slow for centre u dont put the bloke on the wing. When he was playing centre this year he was only person to break the line get an offload away so we could score. Apart from him we had nothing. Holland at right centre over hoppa. Please god help us.