"Rebuilding"

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The club has gone for the instant fix method in the past 5-7 years and it hasn't succeeded. 3 premierships by 2019 and all that other shit didn't happen.

It looks like the method they're going for now is creating a production line of young players into the future. Whether that's successful with the way league has moved I'm really not sure, time will tell.

There's factors like salary cap, coach etc which mean we aren't going to have instant success. There's a long term view by the board of how they want to mould the club, hopefully it pays off and it isn't more wasted years.

We are not within a bulls roar of the cap and so much bullshit has been told about it.
That's an interesting theory but what's to be gained by pretending we are close to the cap and not signing anyone. And what's to be achieved by using kids in a squad when according to what you're saying we have plenty of cash available to sign better players. Which club would want to go through even a couple of year of unnecessary pain when they could be signing players. I can't see any logical reason for it.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Recruitment / retention salary cap mess is a major part of the problem but the other aspect that needs to be addressed is the development of players and the quality and type of football that is taught, trained for and promoted across the club. Kicking, passing, intensity in attack, game plans, strength n conditioning etc have not kept pace with other clubs - recruitment / retention of coaching staff needs to be addressed as well.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
[QUOTE="c-b-b, post: 3376308, member: 20561"
That's an interesting theory but what's to be gained by pretending we are close to the cap and not signing anyone. And what's to be achieved by using kids in a squad when according to what you're saying we have plenty of cash available to sign better players. Which club would want to go through even a couple of year of unnecessary pain when they could be signing players. I can't see any logical reason for it.[/QUOTE]

It as simple as looking at the squad.
We have 3 players $700k plus Klemmer, Jackson & Foran.
2 around $500k Tolman & Hopoate. Hopoate probably less.
No one else above $300k.
You tell me how we can be in "salary cap trouble"
Whole thing/story is bullshit.
For what purpose you ask? No idea but I know it's bullshit.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Recruitment / retention salary cap mess is a major part of the problem but the other aspect that needs to be addressed is the development of players and the quality and type of football that is taught, trained for and promoted across the club. Kicking, passing, intensity in attack, game plans, strength n conditioning etc have not kept pace with other clubs - recruitment / retention of coaching staff needs to be addressed as well.
Thats exactly why I said we need a real ISP coach. Not a pretender.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="c-b-b, post: 3376308, member: 20561"
That's an interesting theory but what's to be gained by pretending we are close to the cap and not signing anyone. And what's to be achieved by using kids in a squad when according to what you're saying we have plenty of cash available to sign better players. Which club would want to go through even a couple of year of unnecessary pain when they could be signing players. I can't see any logical reason for it.
No one else above $300k.
For what purpose you ask? No idea but I know it's bullshit.[/QUOTE]
The biggest problem was Haslers back ended deals. That would have an immense impact on future operations.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one else above $300k.
It’s far from that simple. What you think they should be getting paid and what they are getting paid are two completely different things.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There must be lesser players get more than that

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL

Dogs recruitment: Jack Cogger, Nick Meaney, Chris Smith.
Storm recruitment: Albert Vete, Tom Eisenhuth, and Marion Seve.

In that same period.

LOL

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No one else above $300k.
The biggest problem was Haslers back ended deals. That would have an immense impact on future operations.[/QUOTE]

What backended deals are left?
You tell me how we can possibly be over $9.6 with our 2019 shit squad?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The club has gone for the instant fix method in the past 5-7 years and it hasn't succeeded. 3 premierships by 2019 and all that other shit didn't happen.

It looks like the method they're going for now is creating a production line of young players into the future. Whether that's successful with the way league has moved I'm really not sure, time will tell.

There's factors like salary cap, coach etc which mean we aren't going to have instant success. There's a long term view by the board of how they want to mould the club, hopefully it pays off and it isn't more wasted years.

The thing is that you should always be actively recruiting first team level players as well as looking for the best young talent. A successful team is built off the back of a combination of both of these things.

With the salary cap in place teams are forced to consistently rotate their rosters to balance the cap. If you have a couple of good young players on low coin that can do a job then that lets you let go of an established player on big coin that might have required overs to stay. That then gives you the chance to then go and recruit another established player in a position where you're currently lacking and consistently mamage the quality of your roster.

Penrith have done this well in recent years, they have lost a few good young players but also promoted some to the first team, players like Blake, CHN, Cleary, Edwards, etc. They also then recruited some established players in Merrin, Maloney, Tamou to fill gaps in the roster. Storm have also done this, but instead have had the constant rotation of forwards on the roster to hold onto a once in a generation spine combination.

I'm sure some people on here have this fantasy in their head where they think we're going to bring along a large group of junior talent over the next few years and have this "Bulldogs of old" thing going where they will play for the love of the club and sacrifice money and all that other bs that people think. Facts are not many will make it and if there actually is a good young large group then some will be poached. The club will still need to actively recruit across all ages and grades and continue to do so even if we are successful.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s far from that simple. What you think they should be getting paid and what they are getting paid are two completely different things.
Ok you tell me otherwise.
There is no way the club has a salary cap issue in 2019.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its ok to talk about salary cap ect but we need to make the club attractive to free agents, the whole bulldogs image has been stripped away

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok you tell me otherwise.
There is no way the club has a salary cap issue in 2019.
If you don’t belive the reports from media and club then that’s your choice. If there’s no issue the club would have come out, denied it and moved on. We wouldn’t have been releasing players and we would be making some big moves in the player market. There’s more things pointing to there being salary cap issues then not.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the difference is 2008 noad front ended contracts and wiped the slate clean in a brilliant move that cost him his job because the vulchers used it against him

"how could you let x and x and x leave the club? we are going to finish in the bottom 4 now, get rid of noad and this shit administration"

then

"omg look how 2009 worked out for us, we are incredible, we did this despite noad, look at us"

then its the vulchers time to rebuild

"no fuck that, we arent going down like that, lets hold on to this team, 2 premierships by 2019 baby is still a chance baby"

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing is that you should always be actively recruiting first team level players as well as looking for the best young talent. A successful team is built off the back of a combination of both of these things.

With the salary cap in place teams are forced to consistently rotate their rosters to balance the cap. If you have a couple of good young players on low coin that can do a job then that lets you let go of an established player on big coin that might have required overs to stay. That then gives you the chance to then go and recruit another established player in a position where you're currently lacking and consistently mamage the quality of your roster.

Penrith have done this well in recent years, they have lost a few good young players but also promoted some to the first team, players like Blake, CHN, Cleary, Edwards, etc. They also then recruited some established players in Merrin, Maloney, Tamou to fill gaps in the roster. Storm have also done this, but instead have had the constant rotation of forwards on the roster to hold onto a once in a generation spine combination.

I'm sure some people on here have this fantasy in their head where they think we're going to bring along a large group of junior talent over the next few years and have this "Bulldogs of old" thing going where they will play for the love of the club and sacrifice money and all that other bs that people think. Facts are not many will make it and if there actually is a good young large group then some will be poached. The club will still need to actively recruit across all ages and grades and continue to do so even if we are successful.
I agree with what you're saying. I think we'll get to that point but it's going to take a little while (not 3-5 years but also not next year). No-one knows how Hasler fucked the cap except him and the club. Plus there's not that many great players floating around for 2019 anyway. I'm happy to see how some of the young guys go next year but I'm not expecting miracles from Cogger and Meaney. Whatever they achieved in lower grades doesn't mean anything in the NRL. We need decent experience around them (and not broken players like Foran).

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon we might be preparing to renew the Morris boys, and then make do with what we have and add a few juniors.
Not resigning BMoz - too busted. Doesn't train anymore due to his knees. They are thinking about JMoz though.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We are a club in crisis. No two ways about it.

We have to sort the spine out, forwards come and go. Quality spine players are hard to replace.
We're not in crisis. The coaching team is tight, the recruitment team is tight, the board seems tight. We have introduced a couple of new positions to improve governance around the contracts and cap management and we are financially stable. We even have rules on our books that we can never ratchet a contract again. Our only problem is the team is going rubbish at the moment, but that is temporary and will be fixed in the next couple of years.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
BMoz has been one of our best this year.
When he has played. He is a shot duck apparently. Day to day proposition. Is that worth investing whatever small amount of cap we have on...... for mine no.

Status
Not open for further replies.