"Rebuilding"

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alot is made of this word.. for me these 3-5year plans are a myth & unnecessary & a clubs fortunes can change dramatically through smart recruitment/retention within a year or 2

Its been done many times before where teams improve dramatically off the back of one year of good recruitment..

It happened to us in 2000 for 2001 also in 2008 for 2009 with Jmoz, Stagg, Ennis, Hannant, Kimmorley, Eastwood

Several Teams have won the comp after a poor previous seasons just on bringing the right personell
2005 Tigers Scott Prince
2010 Dragons Bennett Boyd Weyman JSmith etc
2013 Roosters SBW Maloney Jennings Oddonnell
2016 Sharks Added Maloney Ennis Barba Townsend that year and the year previous & finally fixed there attack issues

This season the Panthers fortunes have changed dramatically on the back of swapping Moylan for Maloney

At present we have rookie coach, inexperienced pack, rookie spine.. our focus needs to be on recruiting experienced NRL players . Scouting for talented kids should always be happening but that wont bring this team up & out of where we are in the near future.

For this reason keeping experienced players that perform consistently well like the Morris Brothers for eg is important, & I felt the same about hanging onto Woods

Our FG Squad has been stripped to its bare bones with only Klemmer, Jacko , the Morris Bros & Hoppa & Tolman the players we can rely on at present for experience & leadership

The constant talk of recruiting kids is good but it wont solve our problems. The only additions for next year so far is Cogger & Meaney & both are kids not ready for FG at moment.

We surely have opened up salary cap space for next season. The next 4 months are crucial & the club has a hugely important job with recruiting good solid players to strengthen our squad for next season.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would usually agree, I don't believe in the 5-year plans, you need maximum 2 years if your a good coach and a well-run club, two things we lack. We need a 3-4 year plan in order to build up for long-term success. Unfortunately, you just can't fix a salary cap, the talent in the junior levels, the coach and board all in one or two years.

We should have a plan similar to this:
1. Be competitive on the field for 2019, doesn't even mean finals footy as long as the boys are giving it a go.
2. Major focus on junior levels, scout the globe and bring over as man potential superstars as possible. Be ruthless.
3. Stick with Pay for now but the moment a good coach becomes available, sign them up.
4. Focus on building the spine over the pack, games moving in that direction now.
5. Make sure all contracts are healthy for the club, slowly get ride of all back-ended contracts.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally we need a ‘General’ halfback who will get the team to attacking positions get repeat sets and set up tries. I don’t know do we try and find a quality superleague half. Do we talk to Brodie Croft from Melbourne??

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All we need is some brains in the front office to help balance the books and recruit the players we need to get through the next couple of years develop some youth and have a big play at some quality players just have to jag some good young talent for the meantime

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
as gould said its alot easier to tear somthing down than to build it up.

I hope the current board are competent in recruiting NRL standard players otherwise they will have to pay premium dollars to secure decent players.

I hope they have a plan because our team this week is one of our worst ever looking FG sides and if this is what we will have representing us next year then its not good enough

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
as gould said its alot easier to tear somthing down than to build it up.

I hope the current board are competent in recruiting NRL standard players otherwise they will have to pay premium dollars to secure decent players.

I hope they have a plan because our team this week is one of our worst ever looking FG sides and if this is what we will have representing us next year then its not good enough
Did you question the competency of the Dib Admin when they signed Foran and Woods? If not, why not? They paid premium dollars to get where we are today. Paying premium dollars doesn’t necessarily make you a world beater, or in our case, even a threat

berries62

Waterboy
Reaction score
I would usually agree, I don't believe in the 5-year plans, you need maximum 2 years if your a good coach and a well-run club, two things we lack. We need a 3-4 year plan in order to build up for long-term success. Unfortunately, you just can't fix a salary cap, the talent in the junior levels, the coach and board all in one or two years.

We should have a plan similar to this:
1. Be competitive on the field for 2019, doesn't even mean finals footy as long as the boys are giving it a go.
2. Major focus on junior levels, scout the globe and bring over as man potential superstars as possible. Be ruthless.
3. Stick with Pay for now but the moment a good coach becomes available, sign them up.
4. Focus on building the spine over the pack, games moving in that direction now.
5. Make sure all contracts are healthy for the club, slowly get ride of all back-ended contracts.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We’ve been arse raped hard by des and co for last four years you can’t fix that in a year,we need a three to five year strategy to get us back on track buying a few marquee players won’t fix this we have to take a long term view

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We’ve been arse raped hard by des and co for last four years you can’t fix that in a year,we need a three to five year strategy to get us back on track buying a few marquee players won’t fix this we have to take a long term view
exactly.. a quick fix will put us back in the same position..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It happened to us in 2000 for 2001 also in 2008 for 2009 with Jmoz, Stagg, Ennis, Hannant, Kimmorley, Eastwood

Several Teams have won the comp after a poor previous seasons just on bringing the right personell
2005 Tigers Scott Prince
2010 Dragons Bennett Boyd Weyman JSmith etc
2013 Roosters SBW Maloney Jennings Oddonnell
2016 Sharks Added Maloney Ennis Barba Townsend that year and the year previous & finally fixed there attack issues
There’s two massive factors that helped with all of these salary cap space and the right players in the market at the right time. We don’t have the space and looking who is off contract the players aren’t out there either.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All we need is some brains in the front office to help balance the books and recruit the players we need to get through the next couple of years develop some youth and have a big play at some quality players just have to jag some good young talent for the meantime
This is what is happening. We have got rid of the rabble we had in the front office and replaced them with a business driven group of achievers.
We are actively recruiting youth with ability, and hopefully we can recruit a team leader to take control on the paddock. The team is sadly lacking a capable leader.
They dont seem to be able to close out a game, and put the set plays into motion.

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did you question the competency of the Dib Admin when they signed Foran and Woods? If not, why not? They paid premium dollars to get where we are today. Paying premium dollars doesn’t necessarily make you a world beater, or in our case, even a threat
I did and voted the previous mortimer dib board out

your point?

just because I & the majority of members voted mortimer & dib out doesnt mean I can be convinced of the new board either. its early days and nothing much to show.

because one board was incompetent does not guarentee the next board will be a success.

il reserve my judgement on the current board until the results are clear.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Rebuilds are overrated, any well run club simply doesn't need. Obviously we aren't a well run club.

The belief that our rebuild is going to take years is bullshit imo. There's no reason why we can't compete for a spot in the 8 in a year or two with some smart coaching and some smart recruitment. If this wasn't possible then Klemmer and Jackson would have been free to leave to move forward our plans.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs aren't just rebuilding the FG team they are rebuilding the whole joint, from the juniors up. If a decent spine player or two with experience comes up we can afford, then get them. Other than that, stick to finding quality kids. When our club fully finds itself again in a couple of years, we'll be a consistent powerhouse again. The juries out on Pay but there's no evidence he can't coach, just that he's learning his trade in a tough situation.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Look at our squad for 2019. We have like 5 players over $300k.
We are not within a bulls roar of the cap and so much bullshit has been told about it.
So this talk of a 3 to 5 year "rebuild" is absolutely inane.
We should be able to add a few players to be competitive again next season.
What we really need is stability in the playing ranks and get the group united and focused solely on football.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at it like the 'new generation' with a new challenge.
With speed, skill, strength, concentration and determination we can still win some games, its all in the mind Danial son.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon we might be preparing to renew the Morris boys, and then make do with what we have and add a few juniors.
Pretty much confirmed that both are going to england. Wouldn't really make sense to resign them anyway when they're both at the end of their career and give us cap room

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are a club in crisis. No two ways about it.

We have to sort the spine out, forwards come and go. Quality spine players are hard to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.