The full extent and repercussions of Canterbury’s salary cap hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Michael Hill? Not only on this issue but on just about anything?

He has been there over six months and I have not seen one press interview with him.

The club needs to understand that we won't continue buying memberships blindly while Rome burns down. The least they can do is put out a statement to either slam the rumours or give us an update on their plan of action. They are obviously working on the no news is good news theory.

I am so confused on how we will still be in cap trouble next year even allowing for releasing Kasiano, Graham, Abbey, and not resigning Reynolds, the Morris twins and Eastwood. What if those players weren't released? What if they dug their heels in and stayed? We'd be over the cap by 2 million?

It is the biggest sporting mismanagement in the history of Australian sport. Dib, Castle and Hasler should never be allowed to hold any office in the country again. How Castle got the Union gig I do not know. How fukked are they.
Anyone heard from our General Manager of Football, fellow by the name of Andrew Farrar? :grinning:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
For starters Lachlan Burr and Tom Carr are second tier players and thus are excluded from the 30 man squad in relation to the salary cap for the first grade squad. So that’s 12 to feed off $800k not 14. Now if the club can offload 2 decent contracted players and potentially save $1m, we will have $1.8m to share amongst 12. Most of these players will be fringe first graders, give them $150k each. I don’t think it’s as bad as what the media makes it out to be.
Champ it is worse than it has been made out to be. I can tell you that we are not recruiting anyone who is an established FG player for this and next season. Yes, there are plenty of reggies players coming off contract and they will have to be replaced with other lower grade players either from existing reggies teams or by bringing up juniors which is the most likely course of action. Cogger is the last one signed for this year and next. All the club recruitment people are heading for the school boys carnivals next week to identify future players. That is all they will be doing for the next 12 or so months.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Michael Hill? Not only on this issue but on just about anything?

He has been there over six months and I have not seen one press interview with him.

The club needs to understand that we won't continue buying memberships blindly while Rome burns down. The least they can do is put out a statement to either slam the rumours or give us an update on their plan of action. They are obviously working on the no news is good news theory.

I am so confused on how we will still be in cap trouble next year even allowing for releasing Kasiano, Graham, Abbey, and not resigning Reynolds, the Morris twins and Eastwood. What if those players weren't released? What if they dug their heels in and stayed? We'd be over the cap by 2 million?

It is the biggest sporting mismanagement in the history of Australian sport. Dib, Castle and Hasler should never be allowed to hold any office in the country again. How Castle got the Union gig I do not know. How fukked are they.
Well, the latest I have heard from another highly placed insider is that the cap problems won't be resolved for about 3 years. So I guess those players contracted currently up to and including the 2020 season are going to soak up a huge amount of our cap. It seems as though we are paying for the sins of the past when we contracted players back in 2014 and beyond. Their contracts were backloaded which meant that the ones after it (think Eastwood as the example) had to be backloaded so we could stay compliant which in turn has fed into the current players contracts being backloaded and they don't expire until 2020-21. Apparently Eastwood was signed to a 2 year deal worth around $1m. The problem was the first year was about $200k so we could fit it under our cap for 2017 and the rest was moved to this year. If you think about Foran, Woods, Klemmer, Mbye, Jackson, Hoppa and the figures they reportedly signed for and imagine a similar scaling up to accomodate Graham, Kasiano, Reynolds, Mozzes etc from previous seasons and you get to understand how our cap has disappeared for the next couple of years.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So the signing of Cogger ....?
The dropping of Graham and Kasiano payments (which are rumoured over $1.5 million in total)?

That means nothing to you?

Maybe Player Managers have been told not to bother shopping us players because the club does not want to be used as a bargaining tool. If the club wants that player THEY will approach the manager, not the other way around.
Cogger signed for rookies money lol he is a ISP player

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well, the latest I have heard from another highly placed insider is that the cap problems won't be resolved for about 3 years. So I guess those players contracted currently up to and including the 2020 season are going to soak up a huge amount of our cap. It seems as though we are paying for the sins of the past when we contracted players back in 2014 and beyond. Their contracts were backloaded which meant that the ones after it (think Eastwood as the example) had to be backloaded so we could stay compliant which in turn has fed into the current players contracts being backloaded and they don't expire until 2020-21. Apparently Eastwood was signed to a 2 year deal worth around $1m. The problem was the first year was about $200k so we could fit it under our cap for 2017 and the rest was moved to this year. If you think about Foran, Woods, Klemmer, Mbye, Jackson, Hoppa and the figures they reportedly signed for and imagine a similar scaling up to accomodate Graham, Kasiano, Reynolds, Mozzes etc from previous seasons and you get to understand how our cap has disappeared for the next couple of years.
Exactly what I’ve been told but don’t tell Mr I

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish the source wasn't as good as it was. At least then I could have an element of doubt but bugger me it's gold plated.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the players contracted for next year were killing it and playing to the best fit heir ability we could have 9 rookies and still be well placed. We aren’t getting good value from our players on top dollar

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So there are people out there blabbering left, right and centre, about our cap and players salaries, despite it being completely confidential and none of that contract able to be legally discussed?

Hmmm OK...

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Rather not here from him then having that sexist bush pig Castle every week giving an interview about cheerleaders or 3 titles by 2022,

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So there are people out there blabbering left, right and centre, about our cap and players salaries, despite it being completely confidential and none of that contract able to be legally discussed?

Hmmm OK...
What are you on about? There is a world of difference between talking about an individual's contract and talking about the club's position with respect to the cap overall. Pretty sure the NRL doesn't have a confidentiality clause on what the clubs can talk about in relation to themselves.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forans on like 1mil this year and gets around 1.5 Mil in his last year correct me if I'm wrong... But I heard this ages ago. And woods on like a 1mil as well.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So long story short are we expecting to lose one a few or all of Klemmer, Jackson, mbye, woods, foran ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So long story short are we expecting to lose one a few or all of Klemmer, Jackson, mbye, woods, foran ?
Not expecting but it’s possible we might lose one but not all. Getting Tolman off the books for close to his contract worth would go along way to solving the problem.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Forans on like 1mil this year and gets around 1.5 Mil in his last year correct me if I'm wrong... But I heard this ages ago. And woods on like a 1mil as well.
Doesnt sound very accurate

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a load of dribble , player managers have been told to not bother shopping players to us because we have no money !!! That’s not confidential is a fucking fact!!!
Dribble is baseless talk.I presented details of what sections are in Agreements,to show you the weakness of the media's argument.My point is,the media have no way of knowing all the details of any Agreement,they can speculate,but they cannot make truth statements.

Agreements get renegotiated quite often,Graham volunteered to take a pay cut to help sign Reynolds.
We've seen Agreements renegotiated at the Storm,when they were ordered to cut their payroll by $1,012,500 to meet the 2011 salary cap by December 31,2010.
We saw same thing at Manly,when they renegotiated some Agreements,offsetting some of the salary against third party agreements,in order to sign Cherry-Evans for a record $10 million and secure him until 2023.
When Cameron Smith reported in Sydney morning herald "Players would consider a pay cut to help smaller nations' even though the players have a 'Collective Bargaining Agreement' with ARLC.

How do we or the media know that right now our CEO isn't renegotiating some Agreements,or securing further backended contracts,so as the new Agreements dont clash with the current one's?
Or if new third parties haven't been sourced by the Agent's,like Easts often do,example SBW?

Did you believe the media's exaggeration of our 2017 salary cap crises,saying 3-4 players would need to be offloaded?
or When the Mole wrote "It has left the club in a mess for next season".We were still able to still sign Woods,Foran and 10 fringe players.Compensate for $900k overestimation when the Bulldogs worked on a $10m salary cap instead of $9.1,by only losing Reynolds,Kasiano and offloading Graham.

Did you believe Paul Kent,the same reporter,writing about this salary cap crisis,when he reported only last month that the Bulldogs were after a half and named Sezer as a possibility?
When I asked Brett what that interview on Fox or story reported by Andrew Lucas was all about.His answer was "They got it out of context,my brother and I are after similar money we're on atm,but with what's going on,we doubt the club will offer it.As for salary cap problems,the players aren't going to say that,the club have to figure things out (said exactly same words,in bold in his interview).

Unlike you,I have seen a manager's (agent's) contract,with a player and club.The agent collects 20 per cent of TPAs but only 6 per cent of the player's contract with the club,as well as commissions from tipping a player into an investment.So how much a club can offer is secondary to them,their job is to hunt TPA's,how do you think Easts and Brisbane manage to sign so many elite players?

You say "player managers have been told",give me a name that made this official statement to the media on behalf of the club,not just as you say dribble!
I'm getting briefed by Natalie Dadisho who's an associate at Brydens Lawyers on Friday,Canterbury officials frequent their Bankstown office often,it's only a formality to get an introduction.
My livelihood depends on evidence and I can easily check the validity of this anonymous source.Any jackass can read a worthless report from second hand information and generalize without one solitary fact mentioned.If I represented a client briefed with the quality of this information,I'll get laughed at from the Supreme Court to the Local court.
The media's rhetoric is all about persuading with an impressive effect,when often they are regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.
If there is truth in this story and if substance is presented I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.But just stating it's a "fucking fact" doesn't make it right!

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Michael Hill is a jewellers.

ANDREW Hill is the club CEO... and yes he released a presser alongside Lynne Anderson about a month ago.
Lol yes its Andrew Hill. Probably why I forgot his name was because he doesn’t speak in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.