Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dean is doing a good job with what he has got to work with at the moment, he too is learning from his experiences so far IMO
Are we a football club or nursery?
I can't think of too many occupations, where you're paid a salary most of us will never see the likes of, to 'learn on the job'.
For fuck's sake, Pay had the off-season and his long-term interest in the club to acquaint himself with the team.
No one else but Dean signed on the dotted line. He knew what he was buying into. NRL is a professional code. You can't 'learn' the game on the run!
Nice bloke as he is, I can't help but fear for the short-term future of our club every time I see Pay at press conferences staring down the barrel like a rabbit trapped in spotlights.
We can't liken our predicament to anyone else: Parra is on the move, Cowboys are spent because of an ageing roster and staid attacking formula that everyone else has worked out. Manly is f**ed for most of the reasons we are: DH-sponsored back-ended contracts that leave us with no room to enter the players market for at least the next 3 years.
We can't keep pretending we're a 'work in progress'. Nor afford a coach who's 'learning from his experiences': Dubbo, Catalans, Raiders, NSW U20s. How much more experience does he need??
I get the roster thing. But success is not just borne on the field. Look at the Newcastle Jets. Wooden Spooners one year, A-League premiership aspirants the next.
90 percent of success is borne of inspiration. Give a 20 year-old the reasons why he's on the paddock and what it took to get him there and he'll respond in kind.
How many of our eight games this season should we have gone on to win? Fatigue got us in the end against the Panthers, Storm, Raiders and Roosters.
And what does 'fatigue' tell us about our training regime?
It sickens me to the core to see how Kaz is blitzing the field as a buff Storm forward, or Thompson relishing his role as Tigers No.1. Or Sezer creating plays out of nothing. Why could we not have extrapolated that same potential when they were with us?
Even Lafai. Ordinary at best, he's now a game changer because he's FEEDING OFF THE CONFIDENCE INSTILLED IN THE TEAM BY ST MARY.
Confidence. It's why the long-priced teams are thriving a third of the way into the season.
Confidence is what we don't have. And it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.It eats into your psyche and churns itself out on the paddock.
Yes, we're in a rut, one an intuitive coach would have identified way before Round 8.
Pay is not that coach.

Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Remeber Pay was left a shit sandwich from Hasler and no salary cap to work with

Realistically it will take at least another 2-3 years to fix up hasler's mess Look at what
he did to manly

Just be thankful Fiulton didn't come here to sort out the mess (make it worse)

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Remeber Pay was left a shit sandwich from Hasler and no salary cap to work with

Realistically it will take at least another 2-3 years to fix up hasler's mess Look at what
he did to manly

Just be thankful Fiulton didn't come here to sort out the mess (make it worse)
What he do to manly? They made the prelim the year after he left and the gf 2 years after. Pls explain to me what he did

Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What he do to manly? They made the prelim the year after he left and the gf 2 years after. Pls explain to me what he did
He backended contacts at Manly which left them unable to make a decent offer to retain Glenn Stewart Stewart was the glue that kept Manly together and when he left the likes for Foran, Brett Stewart and Watmough trashed Manly and left

He also resigned the likes of George Rose and Mark Bryant over retaining Warrea-Hargreaves He failed to promote juniors to FG and kept selecting the same players Hasler bailed on Manly when he didn't want to go and rebuild the club again because he knew that his backended contacts would make it impossible to rebuild for years

Same situation now at the dogs where it will be 2020 before we can sign decent players

JMCentral

Waterboy
Reaction score
I really don't mind Dean Pay as our coach, I love having a true Bulldog leading the team and believe he needs more time to develop as a head coach as it's his first year in the role. However, I get really frustrated with the team list every week because it's almost like he's oblivious to the performances that individuals in our ISP team are putting in.

For example, To'omaga is arguably the form front rower in the NSW Cup at the moment (definitely is at the Bulldogs) and we're lucky enough to have him playing for the Dogs. Our issues in first grade have been centered around the slow play-the-balls from our forwards, so why not give To'omaga a crack? He runs the ball hard, solid in defense, does a good job of winning the ruck and is even a try-scoring threat close to the line. We're seeing other clubs around the league who are struggling actually make changes, even Wayne Bennett has taken risks in moving Bird to 7 and blooding in Payne Haas who is 18 years old due to the fact that his forwards weren't performing. Yet we have a couple of really exciting players with star potential who are stuck in ISP and they can't get a look-in.

Let's be blunt and honest about Frawley, his defense is abysmal. No disrespect but it's the truth. He got carved up twice against the Jets in ISP and prior to that, he was being targeted in first-grade which is why JMK was brought in as his replacement. We saw Nu Brown step in for the Sharks last year at 5/8 and have a positive impact for them when they had injuries, so why not bring him in to play either hooker or 5/8 for us seeing as he's actually in form at the moment. Last week in ISP, Brown and To'omaga dominated Blacktown, but yet neither of them get a look in. Once again, the Frawley experiment has already failed this season, his defense is terrible so why don't we give Cleeland, Lewis or Brown a run? I know Cleeland's form hasn't been outstanding in every game this year, but he won 5/8 of the year in NSW Cup last year and had a really positive impact for us against Blacktown last week. He's a way better defender than Frawley, and in my opinion, offers more in attack with his running game/kicking game.

I just feel as if we have nothing to lose, it's Round 9 and we have 2 wins. You give Brown or Cleeland the chance to play 5/8 and boost our attack without losing much on the defensive side of the ball, if it doesn't work out then hey, we're back where we are now anyway. To'omaga is a must, would bring more of a spark than Woods has all season I GUARANTEE you that. Sorry for ranting, just incredibly frustrated and feel like there is untapped potential in our ISP team that would be worth a shot considering how bad the first-grade side is going.

Let me know what you think.
Cheers.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree JMCentral. Those two were certainly stand outs last week and deserve an opportunity. If we are not going to pick them when in good form just exactly when are we going to play them? I fear that dean pay is a hasler type coach when it comes to selections, ie stick to experience like glue. I hope he proves me wrong eventually. We are highly unlikely to make the 8 this year and the sooner pay realises it the better. Then he can start doing the OBVIOUS and bring in young players that will eventually be first graders. With our allegedy dire salary cap position it is going to be 2020 at the earliest IMHO before we will be competitive again. Why hold on to older players who are past it and on big coin until their contracts finish, when an investment in youth is the more likely strategy to reap the rewards.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s what he’s not doing lol.. So unitl he does do what he should be an we can all speculate on what we what him to do..

Then results will stay the same an we will plod along week after week and thread after thread until the coach makes the correct decisions!!

Sounds pretty simple aye lol. (Yawn)

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't mind Dean Pay as our coach, I love having a true Bulldog leading the team and believe he needs more time to develop as a head coach as it's his first year in the role. However, I get really frustrated with the team list every week because it's almost like he's oblivious to the performances that individuals in our ISP team are putting in.

For example, To'omaga is arguably the form front rower in the NSW Cup at the moment (definitely is at the Bulldogs) and we're lucky enough to have him playing for the Dogs. Our issues in first grade have been centered around the slow play-the-balls from our forwards, so why not give To'omaga a crack? He runs the ball hard, solid in defense, does a good job of winning the ruck and is even a try-scoring threat close to the line. We're seeing other clubs around the league who are struggling actually make changes, even Wayne Bennett has taken risks in moving Bird to 7 and blooding in Payne Haas who is 18 years old due to the fact that his forwards weren't performing. Yet we have a couple of really exciting players with star potential who are stuck in ISP and they can't get a look-in.

Let's be blunt and honest about Frawley, his defense is abysmal. No disrespect but it's the truth. He got carved up twice against the Jets in ISP and prior to that, he was being targeted in first-grade which is why JMK was brought in as his replacement. We saw Nu Brown step in for the Sharks last year at 5/8 and have a positive impact for them when they had injuries, so why not bring him in to play either hooker or 5/8 for us seeing as he's actually in form at the moment. Last week in ISP, Brown and To'omaga dominated Blacktown, but yet neither of them get a look in. Once again, the Frawley experiment has already failed this season, his defense is terrible so why don't we give Cleeland, Lewis or Brown a run? I know Cleeland's form hasn't been outstanding in every game this year, but he won 5/8 of the year in NSW Cup last year and had a really positive impact for us against Blacktown last week. He's a way better defender than Frawley, and in my opinion, offers more in attack with his running game/kicking game.

I just feel as if we have nothing to lose, it's Round 9 and we have 2 wins. You give Brown or Cleeland the chance to play 5/8 and boost our attack without losing much on the defensive side of the ball, if it doesn't work out then hey, we're back where we are now anyway. To'omaga is a must, would bring more of a spark than Woods has all season I GUARANTEE you that. Sorry for ranting, just incredibly frustrated and feel like there is untapped potential in our ISP team that would be worth a shot considering how bad the first-grade side is going.

Let me know what you think.
Cheers.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He backended contacts at Manly which left them unable to make a decent offer to retain Glenn Stewart Stewart was the glue that kept Manly together and when he left the likes for Foran, Brett Stewart and Watmough trashed Manly and left

He also resigned the likes of George Rose and Mark Bryant over retaining Warrea-Hargreaves He failed to promote juniors to FG and kept selecting the same players Hasler bailed on Manly when he didn't want to go and rebuild the club again because he knew that his backended contacts would make it impossible to rebuild for years

Same situation now at the dogs where it will be 2020 before we can sign decent players
Thats rubbish. Manly resigned dce on 1mill per year and told stewart they couldnt afford him after hasler left. If they made a gf 2 years after he left its hard to argue he left them in a bad spot.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Think we should persist with jmk he has been improving every week. Unless we can get a quality half we should be looking at swapping out lichaa

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It feels like dejavu. Is Dean Pay doing things any differently to Des Hasler ? He is picking the same side week in week out. There is no good making changes once the season is lost & that isn’t that far away.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont worry mate. We are all frustrated. Its been nearly 3 years since we have seen any exciting games from the dogs.

Nu Brown should be in the team. Straight swap for Lichaa.

Renouf deserves a shot. Straight swap for Danny F.

Martin deserves a shot. Straight swap for Elliott

Lewis is close. He had great vision, running and defense and would be good to have on the bench... na what am i saying where 3rd last after 8 weeks. Frawley is getting a shot then Lewis should because he shits all over Frawley!

Ffs Pay make the changes.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s what he’s not doing lol.. So unitl he does do what he should be an we can all speculate on what we what him to do..

Then results will stay the same an we will plod along week after week and thread after thread until the coach makes the correct decisions!!

Sounds pretty simple aye lol. (Yawn)
I guess all we want is him to walk the walk. Instead of just talking shit all off season.
Where’s the dogs of war you promised? Where’s the competitiveness you promised? Where’s the bulldog dna? Lol the guy is a total fkn lost ****. I guess in the year that is 2018 facts (results) don’t even matter in sports, you just need to say the right things to become a first grade nrl coach.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wont comment on Dean Pay until he has a roster that can compete.
I will...he’s up the creek mate. Shouldn’t coach this sport at any level. Maybe a go at the Rootyhill under 10’s as an assistant.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It feels like dejavu. Is Dean Pay doing things any differently to Des Hasler ? He is picking the same side week in week out. There is no good making changes once the season is lost & that isn’t that far away.
No where near as good as Hasler. I though it was pst Haslers due date, however comparing him to Pay is an insult of the highest degree.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Who cares at this point. Pick anyone who walks out of Rebel’s sports and give them the clip board. Will be just as affective.
Pay is looking to the future, not this season. It's a shame no one else here can see that.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is looking to the future, not this season. It's a shame no one else here can see that.
Pays job is to worry about now. Like
My job is to worry about my clients needs now, not the next time they have a problem.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pays job is to worry about now. Like
My job is to worry about my clients needs now, not the next time they have a problem.
This is no where near comparable to the Newcastle saga that Brown had. Our cattle is far superior to what he had. At one point he had to bring up a hooker from the Local Newcastle competition. Absolutely not comparable in the slightest. Pay can do much better at the minute with what he has.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why would Dean Pay select his hooker & not even play him ? Didn’t he think that people would notice he didn’t board the plane?
Supporting Canterbury must be a punish at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.