Canterbury sign Roosters forward Chris Smith

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don’t forget the shoulder charge that SBW made so fashionable.

You’re spot on though with your analysis.

I appreciate your knowledge of the history of our team
Thank you.How did I forget the shoulder charge!.That shoulder charge got lots of history at our club,dating back to when Langmack,Folkes and Gillespie were accused of using fiberglass shoulderpads to smash dudes.
I was only watching a recorded All Blacks versus Lions 2017 test late last week, when SBW got sent off for hitting Anthony Watson with a vicious head jarring shoulder charge.Must be a Kiwi special because a few of our players Pritchard,Eastwood,Halatau and Kasiano all used the shoulder charge in 2012.Des never adjusted for that rule and our defense looked very tame early 2013.
In fact the start of that year was similar to 2018, we played 7 won 2.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You'll waste tackles and lose position if you try to go around modern drilled defenses,unless you fluke the odd mistake,or field a very fast wing/center.Conventional right edge moves might yield results against Penrith as I explain in play 6 below.But regardless,it's essential to work the right edge in order to maintain a balanced attack,otherwise the left edge will become less effective.The plays below are commonly used by most teams and statistically achieve good results.

1) Foil left,spread right (Storm): idea is to force the opposition to compress the left defense,line backs against forwards in the middle and create a gap between left center and half.
Execution:Position left 2nd row between the 2 props and attack from left center position,left center/wing to DH and fishing for off load.The instance the defense compresses to the left,pass to the left wing/center,he should run right,across the line past the 2 opposing props.Lock runs decoy at opposing lock to stop right to left defensive slide from sliding any further then the lock position.Left wing/center passes to hooker,who stands in line with opposing hooker,if props start to slide with running left wing/center,a gap will appear between the oppositions right prop and lock,hooker should call the fullback and together exploit this gap.Otherwise hooker runs at opposing hooker,right 2nd row runs decoy at opposing left 2nd row.Hooker throws a cut out pass to half who runs at the line towards the opposing 5/8.Half passes to 5/8 on his outside,creating a 3 on 2 overlap with right center/wing.Only way to stop this move is to play fullback in the line.
2) Criss-cross angle runs (St George):idea is to bombard the defensive line from left 2nd row to right prop area on tackle 1,2,& 4.Run angle runs at 5/8 on tackle 3 & 5,to create a gap around the opposition's 5/8 area.
Execution:Use conventional forward hit-ups on tackle 1,2 & 5 using props and left 2nd row to bend the middle,every alternate hit up should be directed towards the next defender,1 position to the defensive right. For 3rd tackle,hooker needs to take on the line as middle forwards run decoys to same area they have been hitting on tackle 1 and 2.Hooker passes to 5/8, who passes to lock who runs forward at opposition's 5/8 as the right 2nd row runs decoy at left 2nd row. On 5th tackle hooker angles his run to right and takes the line on.Hooker passes to half who takes line on with the fullback on the inside.Half passes to 5/8 who runs at opposing 5/8,lock runs decoy at left 2nd row,right 2nd row runs decoy at left center.5/8 runs at opposing 5/8 who is now isolated and vulnerable.5/8 puts right center through gap.
3) Arch across line (Souths):I believe Lichaa might be fast enough for this play.Idea is to line the attack towards the left as a foil whilst exposing a gap close to right touch line.
Execution:Line attack towards left but place left wing instead of left 2nd row when the play the ball is in the middle.Hooker at DH runs forward at an angle towards left.All left side + middle move up and run decoys.Hooker passes to left wing who runs a huge arch towards opposing 5/8,decoys got to be extra alert cause of obstruction.Left wing passes to half who takes the line and opposing left center on,depending where the opposing left wing is positioned the half either uses the right center or throws a cut-out pass to right wing.
4) Cat and mouse (Wests):Executed from 15m out.I doubt our halves are quick enough for this play.Idea is to catch the hooker and lock on right side of the defense.Unbalance the defense to create a gap out wide.
Execution:Left prop runs at both props as right Prop runs decoy at left 2nd row.Hooker to DH fires ball to lock who runs at hooker/lock.Hooker to DH,important that rest of spine takes position and lines to the left.Hooker runs sideways left,now because of potential overlapping the defense has to slide fast and compress towards the right,the markers (hooker/lock) got no choice and need to run towards the defensive right with the hooker.Hooker drags them past defensive right upright and engages them on the 10m line (the mouse is trapped).Left 2nd row to DH passes to 5/8 who runs right as he needs to counts 6 defensive players to his left,this now forces the markers (hooker/lock) to run to their left as well (making that 8 defenders in total).Right prop runs decoy at 9th defensive player.5/8 passes to half who takes on the line running at an angle towards the right,he continues this run until he's in line with the defensive left upright.Lock runs decoy at 10th defensive player.Half to fullback who must receive ball on the outside shoulder of the lock decoy.Opposing fullback got no choice and must move up to met the fullback and defend the line.Right 2nd row runs decoy at left center as the fullback throws a cut out pass past right center who runs decoy at left wing to right wing, who's running from deep.
5)Double trouble (Sharks):Play executed from 5m out.Idea is to use wing as half to create a 2 on 1 on outside.
Execution: Left wing replaces hooker and left side from hooker moves 1 position to left.Half swaps with right 2nd row.Left prop takes ball up to 5m.Defense should line up as 6 players to their left ,the 2 markers,fullback and 4 defending right side.Lock goes to DH.Lock passes to right prop taking ball up with half on his outside and right 2nd row outside him.Right prop takes line on at left 2nd row,half runs to outside of right 2nd row.Right 2nd row runs decoy into into oppositions 5/8 as the right prop invites tackle by opposition'd left 2nd row.Right prop passes to half who receives ball on outside shoulder of the decoy right 2nd row.During this time the left wing is running at an angle towards the half.Half runs at the line inviting opposition's left center to tackle him.Half passes to left wing who has reached him by now.Right center runs decoy into opposition's left wing.Left wing throws a cut out pass to right wing.
4) Attack the players:Idea is to exploit Christian Crichton's (5 NRL games) inexperience and Corey Harawira-Naera past shoulder injuries in order to try and beat them on the edge.
Execution:Crichton has always played at left wing and Harawira-Naera has only played center once,his preferred position is 2nd row.Test Crichton with various kicks and 1 on 1 decisions.Test Harawira-Naera by subjecting him to hits from forwards around chest-shoulder,both in defense and attack.Crichton has a poor tackling efficiency at 76% and with Maloney as a half or 5/8 has the worst tackle efficiency,missed tackles and error rate in the NRL.As I was doing this I quickly realised that our team are so far behind in attacking moves and probably will have a hard tome executing any of these.What I'll do,I'll input the spine's specifications (running speed,pass accuracy ect) into this database I've got that has over 500 plays.The program will then match potential moves.Then I'll pick top 3 that match a high execution forecast.
Can appreciate your analytical dissection of the various coach's gameplans and you back it up with suggestions for the Dogs; it offers a lot to the debate here IMO....and something more other than personal opinions and our gut feelings.

And so the next question remaining to be asked, if these tactics (or any remotely effective) are not implemented tonight...its early days of course, but your assessment of Dean Pay?

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can appreciate your analytical dissection of the various coach's gameplans and you back it up with suggestions for the Dogs; it offers a lot to the debate here IMO....and something more other than personal opinions and our gut feelings.

And so the next question remaining to be asked, if these tactics (or any remotely effective) are not implemented tonight...its early days of course, but your assessment of Dean Pay?
I'll get back to you on Pay.I was seriously thinking making a thread on a related topic that does involve Pay.We would have won tonight if Edwards didn't get injured and Crichton went to fullback.In my last reply to you,analysis 6 'Attack the players' I talked about Crichton's inexperience and out of position Corey Harawira-Naera.Before Crichton went to fullback we led 12-0,both tries scored off his mistakes.Trust me we wouldn't have scored any tries tonight against any other left edge or if Mansour wasn't injured and played instead.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'll get back to you on Pay.I was seriously thinking making a thread on a related topic that does involve Pay.We would have won tonight if Edwards didn't get injured and Crichton went to fullback.In my last reply to you,analysis 6 'Attack the players' I talked about Crichton's inexperience and out of position Corey Harawira-Naera.Before Crichton went to fullback we led 12-0,both tries scored off his mistakes.Trust me we wouldn't have scored any tries tonight against any other left edge or if Mansour wasn't injured and played instead.
Lol Deathspell...a new thread dedicated to Pay would be best...there are so many threads regarding all areas of our plight these days, who can keep up with them.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol Deathspell...a new thread dedicated to Pay would be best...there are so many threads regarding all areas of our plight these days, who can keep up with them.
The only thread that counts deals with the source of our problem,all the others are smoke and mirrors,most are not factual,fueled by emotions.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only thread that counts deals with the source of our problem,all the others are smoke and mirrors,most are not factual,fueled by emotions.
Wouldn't be Dogs supporters unless everybody (and their dog) got a say ;)...you take out of it what you consider makes sense IMO.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wouldn't be Dogs supporters unless everybody (and their dog) got a say ;)...you take out of it what you consider makes sense IMO.
I think lot's of supporters are vesting anger because they are upset.This bad period is foreign to a lot of people.I started following the Dogs in 1966,I waited 14 years before we won the comp.My father waited for 38 years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think lot's of supporters are vesting anger because they are upset.This bad period is foreign to a lot of people.I started following the Dogs in 1966,I waited 14 years before we won the comp.My father waited for 38 years.
Same year as me. It seems the younger supporters want instant gratification with everything, including footy success. Cant blame them, I'd prefer more success for the Dogs myself.

In fact I'd love us to return to the glory days of The Entertainers with guys like Turvey, Brentnall, Baa genuine superstars but those days seem so far away. We have no superstars or heroes for the young kids to follow or aspire. I do fear for the renewing of the fan base when us geezers ki k the bucket.

The club has been run into the ground of late with some really dumb and negligent decisions re players, retention, contract amounts. This sc debacle has been a complete dereliction and abrogationby the old Board. Supporters are naturally fed up and angry do will vent bad.

There is a lot of angst and frustration and some supporters are overly abusive and personal of our players....that bugs me...they might deserve it but it hardly helps in a constructive way for real improvement.

I never played the game obviously but have a strong family history with the club. My grandmother used to take me to games...and there never was so bad a one-eyed supporter and all my 6 aunties so it was only natural that I followed along.

Hopefully this pain is all worth it and the club can rise again cos it woukld be great to feel that we have a champion team again.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Same year as me. It seems the younger supporters want instant gratification with everything, including footy success. Cant blame them, I'd prefer more success for the Dogs myself.

In fact I'd love us to return to the glory days of The Entertainers with guys like Turvey, Brentnall, Baa genuine superstars but those days seem so far away. We have no superstars or heroes for the young kids to follow or aspire. I do fear for the renewing of the fan base when us geezers ki k the bucket.

The club has been run into the ground of late with some really dumb and negligent decisions re players, retention, contract amounts. This sc debacle has been a complete dereliction and abrogationby the old Board. Supporters are naturally fed up and angry do will vent bad.

There is a lot of angst and frustration and some supporters are overly abusive and personal of our players....that bugs me...they might deserve it but it hardly helps in a constructive way for real improvement.

I never played the game obviously but have a strong family history with the club. My grandmother used to take me to games...and there never was so bad a one-eyed supporter and all my 6 aunties so it was only natural that I followed along.

Hopefully this pain is all worth it and the club can rise again cos it woukld be great to feel that we have a champion team again.
Brother I miss the days,sitting on the hill chewing on grass to get rid of the foul taste of those hotdogs my old man used to buy,God bless his soul.
We used to go as a family,uncles,nephews,everyone came,there would be like 20 of us.It was a day out and I lived for it.
'Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York' how applicable is that Shakespearean phrase to our crumbling house.
Good speaking to you brother,at least there is another person out there that genuinely feels my pain.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Brother I miss the days,sitting on the hill chewing on grass to get rid of the foul taste of those hotdogs my old man used to buy,God bless his soul.
We used to go as a family,uncles,nephews,everyone came,there would be like 20 of us.It was a day out and I lived for it.
'Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York' how applicable is that Shakespearean phrase to our crumbling house.
Good speaking to you brother,at least there is another person out there that genuinely feels my pain.
Sista is more accurate Deathspell :grinning:

My nana used to call out "carn berries, bury em"...as an 8 year old it was soooo embarrassing...but I soon joined in lol. She was very ladylike, but not at the footy. She always complained that the blinking refs didnt see the first punches in the scrums and because we had white "guernseys" the refs only saw us haha.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sista is more accurate Deathspell :grinning:

My nana used to call out "carn berries, bury em"...as an 8 year old it was soooo embarrassing...but I soon joined in lol. She was very ladylike, but not at the footy. She always complained that the blinking refs didnt see the first punches in the scrums and because we had white "guernseys" the refs only saw us haha.
Stupid me I should have guessed by your name (give myself an uppercut) lol.
Talk about embarrassing,my mum hurled a pie drenched in sauce at a touchy one time.The cops bounced on my uncle and he got taken down to Campsie cop shop.Took him 3 years to be allowed back in, he was so depressed.He used to come with us to the footy and sit in the car park, took him years to recover.From there on he hated pies.On his 1st game back he got the shits with this Roasters fan waving this huge flag and smashed him with the pole over the head, wrapped him in the flag, made a lounge out of him and sat on him for the rest of the game.
Oh those days were fun, I was only a little nipper then.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Stupid me I should have guessed by your name (give myself an uppercut) lol.
Talk about embarrassing,my mum hurled a pie drenched in sauce at a touchy one time.The cops bounced on my uncle and he got taken down to Campsie cop shop.Took him 3 years to be allowed back in, he was so depressed.He used to come with us to the footy and sit in the car park, took him years to recover.From there on he hated pies.On his 1st game back he got the shits with this Roasters fan waving this huge flag and smashed him with the pole over the head, wrapped him in the flag, made a lounge out of him and sat on him for the rest of the game.
Oh those days were fun, I was only a little nipper then.
Yes I was working out in country NSW last year with a whole lotta 20 somethings where I was the "mature older woman" lol..one of them said oh my Mum's name is Wendy, I call her Wendog, can I call you that? So I said if it's not an insult, I'd be honoured hehe...so it was a natural choice when I signed up here lol.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
More fringe FGers.. we need to sign quality

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
More fringe FGers.. we need to sign quality
We legitimately can’t sign the names people want. Get used to Chris Smith level signings because that’s all we can afford thanks to previous management.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We legitimately can’t sign the names people want. Get used to Chris Smith level signings because that’s all we can afford thanks to previous management.
Dib/Auntie/Des couldn't have stuffed the club any better than hostile implants seeking to destroy our future viability.

The level of incompetence and possibly malfeasance as evidenced by the terms of Hasler"s contract, is truly shocking.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye
B.Morris
J.Morris
Hoppa
Olive
JMK
Foran
Woods
Lichaa
Klemmer
Martin
RFM
Jackson

Interchange
Eastwood
Fualalo
Elliott
Holland

**Persist with Lichaa up to 20min mark.If in front go till half time.
I know Holland is an odd selection and not ideal....so this is the reason for his selection.

If behind,swap JMK for Lichaa,move Mbye to 5/8,Hoppa to fullback,and bring Holland at center.
Idea is to use 3-4 pass method in attack and normal formation in defense,ala Storm (atm also being tried by Saints,Wests and Sharks).

How it works:

1) Work any edge of field using 2 props, 1, 2nd row and lock (together for 4 tackles) with JMK as hooker - This locks their forwards to the edge.
2) On 4th tackle wing must start moving towards the opposite flank slowly,in case of intercept.
3) On 5th everyone moves fast into these positions, JJ goes to dummy half, JMK to half, Foran to 5/8 with Mbye outside him and Hoppa behind him to run decoy.NB.at this stage both wingers should be on same side.
4) On 5th, JJ fires long pass to JMK (important he doesn't move, but feigns kick to keep fullback guessing), the forwards run decoy at an angle,the center behind them shielded out of view.
5) JMK fires long pass to Foran (who takes on line,minute center is on his inside he passes to Mbye,Hoppa overtakes him and together with 2nd row (that wasn't used in forwards play) run decoy.
6) Other center runs forward to line and does quick turnaround with Mbye,who links up with 2 wingers.Whole move should take 6-8 seconds (I've seen Storm do it in 5,with Cronk).
90% of the time you'll get a 3 (2 wings & Mbye) on 1 overlap.
NB.Never try this on 6th, just in case of a fuckup as the defensive structure will be all over the place.If for some reason you do, and it fails,do a Smith and drop a ruck penalty,then question the ref.
After try,everyone reverts to original position and when in attack use edge type formation (important is to kick well so as to tire the forwards and force interchange).
The minute they use an interchange (2 is a bonus) or there is a line drop out repeat the 3-4 pass tactic.
If we had a decent impact player (back) you can do a variation of this move that would involve Hoppa.
Bringing Lichaa back depends on score.
I'm sorry it's a bit long but I hope this explanation helps.
Sorry mate but to execute your plan we would need to scout for players who are also capable of been rocket scientist, and I not sure that there are to many of them.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deathspell, (I know nothing about law) is it possible for our club's lawyers defending Hasler's case to mount a claim against him for sabotaging our club, there appears to be a lot of evidence of it. After all he was given full control and it should be easily proven that he had only contempt for our club's long term viability.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Deathspell, (I know nothing about law) is it possible for our club's lawyers defending Hasler's case to mount a claim against him for sabotaging our club, there appears to be a lot of evidence of it. After all he was given full control and it should be easily proven that he had only contempt for our club's long term viability.
There is ,have a read of these 3 News threads (listed below) put up by Mr Invisible (there is more,but I can't find them because as you can appreciate sometimes posts are posted in threads that are irrelevant to the title).
Maybe Mr Invisible if he doesn't mind,as he knows his way around this site better then me can assist you in finding them.Or maybe someone that reads this post that was a recipient to one of my replies is kind enough to direct you to it's location.

"Bulldogs seek to settle Hasler's contract without of court settlement"
(there is 1 before this thread,I'm 100% sure but can't find it as this thread was a response to it)
"Clubs dragged into Bulldogs Legal battle,players may follow"
"Des Hasler's disputed deal at Bulldogs worth up to $3m"

Read through the above threads as I posted some information that might help you.If you need more information or cant find the above threads don't hesitate to reply.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There is ,have a read of these 3 News threads (listed below) put up by Mr Invisible (there is more,but I can't find them because as you can appreciate sometimes posts are posted in threads that are irrelevant to the title).
Maybe Mr Invisible if he doesn't mind,as he knows his way around this site better then me can assist you in finding them.Or maybe someone that reads this post that was a recipient to one of my replies is kind enough to direct you to it's location.

"Bulldogs seek to settle Hasler's contract without of court settlement"
(there is 1 before this thread,I'm 100% sure but can't find it as this thread was a response to it)
"Clubs dragged into Bulldogs Legal battle,players may follow"
"Des Hasler's disputed deal at Bulldogs worth up to $3m"

Read through the above threads as I posted some information that might help you.If you need more information or cant find the above threads don't hesitate to reply.
"Des Hasler's disputed deal at Bulldogs worth up to $3m" - https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...deal-at-bulldogs-worth-up-to-3m.109294/page-4
"Clubs dragged into Bulldogs Legal battle,players may follow" - https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...players-may-follow.109273/page-2#post-3329803
"Bulldogs seek to settle Hasler's contract without of court settlement" - https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...contract-with-out-of-court-settlement.109034/

By the way @Deathspell, if you want to tag my attention into a thread, just use "@" and then my username and it'll alert me to your post :grinning:

Other thread is probably gone after some users got sand in their bobs and veganes.

Yes I was working out in country NSW last year with a whole lotta 20 somethings where I was the "mature older woman" lol..one of them said oh my Mum's name is Wendy, I call her Wendog, can I call you that? So I said if it's not an insult, I'd be honoured hehe...so it was a natural choice when I signed up here lol.
Awesome backstory on your username :grinning:

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"Des Hasler's disputed deal at Bulldogs worth up to $3m" - https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/des-hasler’s-disputed-deal-at-bulldogs-worth-up-to-3m.109294/page-4
"Clubs dragged into Bulldogs Legal battle,players may follow" - https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...players-may-follow.109273/page-2#post-3329803
"Bulldogs seek to settle Hasler's contract without of court settlement" - https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...contract-with-out-of-court-settlement.109034/

By the way @Deathspell, if you want to tag my attention into a thread, just use "@" and then my username and it'll alert me to your post :grinning:

Other thread is probably gone after some users got sand in their bobs and veganes.

Awesome backstory on your username :grinning:
Thank-you :blush: