Steve Price, Chris Anderson, Paul Dunn headline Canterbury Bulldogs board challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A ticket comprising some of Canterbury's biggest names will take on chairman Ray Dib and the incumbent Bulldogs directors at February's board elections.

Bulldogs legends and premiership-winning internationals Chris Anderson, Steve Price and Paul Dunn are among those submitting a challenge to the establishment before Thursday's cut-off for nominations.

The ticket is headed by Lynne Anderson, the daughter of legendary Bulldogs supremo Peter Moore and wife of fellow board contender Chris. Lynne Anderson, the chief executive of the Australian Paralympic Committee and a former Bulldogs staffer, recently resigned from the Gold Coast Titans board to avoid conflicts of interest.

The other members of the "reform group" are:

• John Ballesty, a former Wallaby and Roosters star who managed the Canterbury Leagues Club for 29 years;
  • John Khoury, a local businessman and juniors coach with executive experience at global equity firms and publicly listed companies;
  • Nick Dimas, a former Bulldogs director and senior executive at the Subway Group.
However, the star power will come from the Andersons, Price and Dunn, who have decided to run after witnessing what they perceive as the erosion of the unique culture of the "family club".

Chris "Opes" Anderson enjoyed grand final glory with the club as a player and coach, while Dunn and Price have also made successful transitions into the corporate world after glittering playing careers. Dunn, the Clive Churchill medallist from Canterbury's 1988 premiership-winning side, unsuccessfully opposed Dib at the 2014 elections.

"We've been on the sidelines with the Bulldogs for a few years now and it's a given in professional sport that you're not going to win every year," Lynne Anderson told Fairfax Media.

"But what we've seen over the last few years in particular has been a real decline and movement away from everything that's good about the club. When we sat back and talked about it, it was apparent that respect was missing. A lot of fantastic things have happened at the club over recent years but that core value of respect across all levels [isn't there]. That's respect internally for players, staff, fans and the broader community and for rugby league. The result of that is we have lost respect in the game as well."

It has been a difficult 12 months for the Bulldogs. They missed the finals for the first time in five seasons and had to move on a host of players, contracted and otherwise, after overshooting the salary cap. However, Anderson said the tipping point was the sacking of coach Des Hasler, just five months after the Bulldogs announced his re-signing on a two-year extension. Hasler is taking Supreme Court action against the club.

"The trigger was in the days following the announcement that Des Hasler was sacked," Anderson said. "Every commentator repeated the phrase 'the Bulldogs used to be the most envied club'.

"That broke my heart. Dad [Moore] put in 35 years and that was heart, a lot of hard yards at a personal cost. Not just dad but everyone since him – every player and official has been brought through that way. To think that blood, sweat and tears developed something special – and to then see it talked about as being eroded – that really hurt.

"The decision was made to re-sign [Hasler] and it was touted to the whole rugby league world. Then a few months later, to be told that it wasn't a legally binding contract, that's misleading to everybody. It's misleading to Des and the players and to fans. To be treated like that is not the respect we want in the club.

"[The salary cap squeeze] was also really sad to watch from the sidelines. When you gamble on the salary cap, you're gambling with people. Good Bulldogs people were shopped around and that's not what we're about."

Lynne Anderson, a finalist in the leadership category at the AIS Sports Performance Awards, thanked the incumbent directors for their service to Canterbury. However, she said it was time for change.

"There's seems to be a flurry of activity [from the incumbents] with an election imminent and that doesn't fill me with confidence," she said.

"We're a club that demands success and we want to make that loud and clear. Dad was famous for building a welcoming and inclusive environment. It was the family club, but it came at a high price and that was an expectation of success. The club allowed you to be the best you could be. That's a business model we're keen to get back to.

"I know the board have been working hard to do that but ultimately we are a results-driven business.

"If you go back 10 years, we were sixth at the end of 2007. We were 11th last season. At the same time, the leagues club – which is heart and soul alongside the football club – has slid down the rankings [for revenue]. They are not good results."

'Reform' ticket group

- Steve Price (played 222 games with the Bulldogs, won two premierships and was named Dally M captain of the year in 2002 and 2004).

- Paul Dunn (played 100 games for the Bulldogs and won the Clive Churchill medal in Canterbury's 1988 premiership).

Chris Anderson (won the 1980 premiership with the Bulldogs and coached the Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm to grand final success)

- Lynne Anderson (daughter of late Bulldogs supremo Peter 'Bullfrog' Moore and Chris Anderson's wife. Gold Coast Titans board member and Australian Paralympic Committee CEO).

- John Ballesty (former Wallaby and Roosters player, managed Canterbury Leagues Club for 29 years)

- John Khoury (businessman, local with over 35 years involvement in Bulldogs junior rugby league)

- Nick Dimas (former Bulldogs director, senior executive at Subway Group).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bulldogs-board-challenge-20171129-gzvb3f.html

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bye bye Mr Dib & co, the tide of change is about to sweep you away, for the betterment of the Bulldogs future.

Chris & Lynne Anderson plus Steve Price, much better direction for sure.

N

Natboy

I was happy when I heard this but Dib just gets so many dodgy proxy votes he’ll be very difficult to roll

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Dib will be very hard to get rid of.
He brings in a lot of third party agreements for our players. He is very well connected with businesses in the Canterbury Bankstown area.

I do like the sound of this ticket.
I would like Mortimer to be part of the club if this current board loses.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dib will be very hard to get rid of.
He brings in a lot of third party agreements for our players. He is very well connected with businesses in the Canterbury Bankstown area.

I do like the sound of this ticket.
I would like Mortimer to be part of the club if this current board loses.
Don't the members vote tho?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great ticket with people who actually have the club first (unlike dib and castles in the past).

At the start of the year I was all for a change. But has dib honeydicked us enough? Every decision in the last 2 months has been spot on. Do you go with the devil you know? Or the devil you don’t.

I can’t doubt this ticket, but we have taken steps in recent times (ok it was a save of face measures). Is it too little too late?

I think dib scrapes through but would be happy with this ticket. Always would be happy with graham Hughes getting another run, strange to think he isn’t involved unless he is in the background somehow orchestrating something.

Happy to get pricey back. Happy for Mortimer to be here too though. Best bet would be a hybrid of both boards.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great ticket with people who actually have the club first (unlike dib and castles in the past).

At the start of the year I was all for a change. But has dib honeydicked us enough? Every decision in the last 2 months has been spot on. Do you go with the devil you know? Or the devil you don’t.

I can’t doubt this ticket, but we have taken steps in recent times (ok it was a save of face measures). Is it too little too late?

I think dib scrapes through but would be happy with this ticket. Always would be happy with graham Hughes getting another run, strange to think he isn’t involved unless he is in the background somehow orchestrating something.

Happy to get pricey back. Happy for Mortimer to be here too though. Best bet would be a hybrid of both boards.
Hughes can’t run as he handed in his membership.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mortimer is on board at Leagues Club... probably won't run cross board.

A few things I'm concerned about with this.
1. Wasn't there dirty laundry around Dunn in the Moore/Noad era, alongside Farrar? From memory that board "did a Hasler" and cost us $250k getting rid of Noad.
2. I don't think having a husband and wife on the board together is a smart idea, but they are doing this using her ticket... Are they just using her?
3. We've had a number of changes in the board already in past few months... that might be enough for Dib to secure a seat again.

The club appears to be rebuilding nicely outside the board, and I honestly don't believe we need something like this upsetting the apple cart just as the club is getting back on it's feet.

Timing is probably a bit shit.. I'd have liked to give current board 12 months to see how things go on the field and how they act before wanting them gone. We really don't know how much of the current board's issues is cleanup work from others now gone/sacked.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm concerned that the catalyst for LA was Des getting sacked after his extension was announced and not the impact Des was having on the club by running the place into the ground.

Agree respect and your word is important, but sometimes when you make a bad decision you need to fix it quickly rather than continuing to suffer the consequences.

Like the sound of the ticket but want to see a bit more in terms of how tough decisions would be handled. After all sport is a business and very different to what it was 15-20 years ago.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is a very good ticket. Turvey should have held off getting involved with the current board and joined this one. I'm not concerned about what Dib brings in third parties, we are a successful club that plenty want to be involved in, we will still get them no matter who is in charge.

Always would be happy with graham Hughes getting another run, strange to think he isn’t involved unless he is in the background somehow orchestrating something.
Anyone wanting Graham Hughes to be involved in the club needs to listen to his show on 2SM. He has absolutely no connection to the club to the point that he tells callers "your club" when they call in to speak about the bulldogs. Trying to get onto the board a few years ago was about self interest and trying to secure the CEO role.

Reaction score
"The decision was made to re-sign [Hasler] and it was touted to the whole rugby league world. Then a few months later, to be told that it wasn't a legally binding contract, that's misleading to everybody. It's misleading to Des and the players and to fans. To be treated like that is not the respect we want in the club.

so what is she trying to say here? We should have kept Des and let him continue driving the place into the ground?
I hate Dib as much as the next bloke and would be happy to see the back of him. But despite who's fault any of the Des mess was, at least they did something about it and got rid of him.
For the first time in a long while, the footy season ahead is getting exciting again seeing our players be freed of the control freak Des. RIP desball

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
MASSIVE! I'm happy that what was old may possibly become new again.

Status
Not open for further replies.