Steve Price, Chris Anderson, Paul Dunn headline Canterbury Bulldogs board challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Dib will dodgy it up somehow. Theres no way he sacks des straight after a 2 year deal, only to be pushed out that easily. He'll do all he can to save his arse.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A ticket comprising some of Canterbury's biggest names will take on chairman Ray Dib and the incumbent Bulldogs directors at February's board elections.

Bulldogs legends and premiership-winning internationals Chris Anderson, Steve Price and Paul Dunn are among those submitting a challenge to the establishment before Thursday's cut-off for nominations.

The ticket is headed by Lynne Anderson, the daughter of legendary Bulldogs supremo Peter Moore and wife of fellow board contender Chris. Lynne Anderson, the chief executive of the Australian Paralympic Committee and a former Bulldogs staffer, recently resigned from the Gold Coast Titans board to avoid conflicts of interest.

The other members of the "reform group" are:

• John Ballesty, a former Wallaby and Roosters star who managed the Canterbury Leagues Club for 29 years;
  • John Khoury, a local businessman and juniors coach with executive experience at global equity firms and publicly listed companies;
  • Nick Dimas, a former Bulldogs director and senior executive at the Subway Group.
However, the star power will come from the Andersons, Price and Dunn, who have decided to run after witnessing what they perceive as the erosion of the unique culture of the "family club".

Chris "Opes" Anderson enjoyed grand final glory with the club as a player and coach, while Dunn and Price have also made successful transitions into the corporate world after glittering playing careers. Dunn, the Clive Churchill medallist from Canterbury's 1988 premiership-winning side, unsuccessfully opposed Dib at the 2014 elections.

"We've been on the sidelines with the Bulldogs for a few years now and it's a given in professional sport that you're not going to win every year," Lynne Anderson told Fairfax Media.

"But what we've seen over the last few years in particular has been a real decline and movement away from everything that's good about the club. When we sat back and talked about it, it was apparent that respect was missing. A lot of fantastic things have happened at the club over recent years but that core value of respect across all levels [isn't there]. That's respect internally for players, staff, fans and the broader community and for rugby league. The result of that is we have lost respect in the game as well."

It has been a difficult 12 months for the Bulldogs. They missed the finals for the first time in five seasons and had to move on a host of players, contracted and otherwise, after overshooting the salary cap. However, Anderson said the tipping point was the sacking of coach Des Hasler, just five months after the Bulldogs announced his re-signing on a two-year extension. Hasler is taking Supreme Court action against the club.

"The trigger was in the days following the announcement that Des Hasler was sacked," Anderson said. "Every commentator repeated the phrase 'the Bulldogs used to be the most envied club'.

"That broke my heart. Dad [Moore] put in 35 years and that was heart, a lot of hard yards at a personal cost. Not just dad but everyone since him – every player and official has been brought through that way. To think that blood, sweat and tears developed something special – and to then see it talked about as being eroded – that really hurt.

"The decision was made to re-sign [Hasler] and it was touted to the whole rugby league world. Then a few months later, to be told that it wasn't a legally binding contract, that's misleading to everybody. It's misleading to Des and the players and to fans. To be treated like that is not the respect we want in the club.

"[The salary cap squeeze] was also really sad to watch from the sidelines. When you gamble on the salary cap, you're gambling with people. Good Bulldogs people were shopped around and that's not what we're about."

Lynne Anderson, a finalist in the leadership category at the AIS Sports Performance Awards, thanked the incumbent directors for their service to Canterbury. However, she said it was time for change.

"There's seems to be a flurry of activity [from the incumbents] with an election imminent and that doesn't fill me with confidence," she said.

"We're a club that demands success and we want to make that loud and clear. Dad was famous for building a welcoming and inclusive environment. It was the family club, but it came at a high price and that was an expectation of success. The club allowed you to be the best you could be. That's a business model we're keen to get back to.

"I know the board have been working hard to do that but ultimately we are a results-driven business.

"If you go back 10 years, we were sixth at the end of 2007. We were 11th last season. At the same time, the leagues club – which is heart and soul alongside the football club – has slid down the rankings [for revenue]. They are not good results."

'Reform' ticket group

- Steve Price (played 222 games with the Bulldogs, won two premierships and was named Dally M captain of the year in 2002 and 2004).

- Paul Dunn (played 100 games for the Bulldogs and won the Clive Churchill medal in Canterbury's 1988 premiership).

Chris Anderson (won the 1980 premiership with the Bulldogs and coached the Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm to grand final success)

- Lynne Anderson (daughter of late Bulldogs supremo Peter 'Bullfrog' Moore and Chris Anderson's wife. Gold Coast Titans board member and Australian Paralympic Committee CEO).

- John Ballesty (former Wallaby and Roosters player, managed Canterbury Leagues Club for 29 years)

- John Khoury (businessman, local with over 35 years involvement in Bulldogs junior rugby league)

- Nick Dimas (former Bulldogs director, senior executive at Subway Group).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bulldogs-board-challenge-20171129-gzvb3f.html
Please don't get me started...
I have nothing but respect for the people mentioned above and what they have achieved while at our club especially The Great PETER MORE.
BUT you do remember most of these people are the opportunists who dumped Canterbury at the first chance for more money elsewhere ?
Humans make mistakes, Maybe the most damming mistake made by the current board was to trust Des Hasler to control all football issues !!!
BUT can we trust the opportunists whose self interests and power greed are the main reasons they are challenging.
I can not comment on the leagues club revenues these things needs proper studies, but has anyone been to the leagues club lately and witnessed the incredible project that is going on ?
does it look like evidence of management resting on their laurels ?
Steve Mortimer has never been disloyal to OUR CLUB and never will !
I trust and support his judgment, It would be Unwise to support his opponents the people who are only interested when things are going their way !
Remember the Moores and cousins Hughes sons in law Anderson and Folkes still think they are our clubs ROYAL FAMILY :grinning:
Sorry Lynne and boys...you just can't choose when TO CARE OR NOT TO CARE.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
A ticket comprising some of Canterbury's biggest names will take on chairman Ray Dib and the incumbent Bulldogs directors at February's board elections.

Bulldogs legends and premiership-winning internationals Chris Anderson, Steve Price and Paul Dunn are among those submitting a challenge to the establishment before Thursday's cut-off for nominations.

The ticket is headed by Lynne Anderson, the daughter of legendary Bulldogs supremo Peter Moore and wife of fellow board contender Chris. Lynne Anderson, the chief executive of the Australian Paralympic Committee and a former Bulldogs staffer, recently resigned from the Gold Coast Titans board to avoid conflicts of interest.

The other members of the "reform group" are:

• John Ballesty, a former Wallaby and Roosters star who managed the Canterbury Leagues Club for 29 years;
  • John Khoury, a local businessman and juniors coach with executive experience at global equity firms and publicly listed companies;
  • Nick Dimas, a former Bulldogs director and senior executive at the Subway Group.
However, the star power will come from the Andersons, Price and Dunn, who have decided to run after witnessing what they perceive as the erosion of the unique culture of the "family club".

Chris "Opes" Anderson enjoyed grand final glory with the club as a player and coach, while Dunn and Price have also made successful transitions into the corporate world after glittering playing careers. Dunn, the Clive Churchill medallist from Canterbury's 1988 premiership-winning side, unsuccessfully opposed Dib at the 2014 elections.

"We've been on the sidelines with the Bulldogs for a few years now and it's a given in professional sport that you're not going to win every year," Lynne Anderson told Fairfax Media.

"But what we've seen over the last few years in particular has been a real decline and movement away from everything that's good about the club. When we sat back and talked about it, it was apparent that respect was missing. A lot of fantastic things have happened at the club over recent years but that core value of respect across all levels [isn't there]. That's respect internally for players, staff, fans and the broader community and for rugby league. The result of that is we have lost respect in the game as well."

It has been a difficult 12 months for the Bulldogs. They missed the finals for the first time in five seasons and had to move on a host of players, contracted and otherwise, after overshooting the salary cap. However, Anderson said the tipping point was the sacking of coach Des Hasler, just five months after the Bulldogs announced his re-signing on a two-year extension. Hasler is taking Supreme Court action against the club.

"The trigger was in the days following the announcement that Des Hasler was sacked," Anderson said. "Every commentator repeated the phrase 'the Bulldogs used to be the most envied club'.

"That broke my heart. Dad [Moore] put in 35 years and that was heart, a lot of hard yards at a personal cost. Not just dad but everyone since him – every player and official has been brought through that way. To think that blood, sweat and tears developed something special – and to then see it talked about as being eroded – that really hurt.

"The decision was made to re-sign [Hasler] and it was touted to the whole rugby league world. Then a few months later, to be told that it wasn't a legally binding contract, that's misleading to everybody. It's misleading to Des and the players and to fans. To be treated like that is not the respect we want in the club.

"[The salary cap squeeze] was also really sad to watch from the sidelines. When you gamble on the salary cap, you're gambling with people. Good Bulldogs people were shopped around and that's not what we're about."

Lynne Anderson, a finalist in the leadership category at the AIS Sports Performance Awards, thanked the incumbent directors for their service to Canterbury. However, she said it was time for change.

"There's seems to be a flurry of activity [from the incumbents] with an election imminent and that doesn't fill me with confidence," she said.

"We're a club that demands success and we want to make that loud and clear. Dad was famous for building a welcoming and inclusive environment. It was the family club, but it came at a high price and that was an expectation of success. The club allowed you to be the best you could be. That's a business model we're keen to get back to.

"I know the board have been working hard to do that but ultimately we are a results-driven business.

"If you go back 10 years, we were sixth at the end of 2007. We were 11th last season. At the same time, the leagues club – which is heart and soul alongside the football club – has slid down the rankings [for revenue]. They are not good results."

'Reform' ticket group

- Steve Price (played 222 games with the Bulldogs, won two premierships and was named Dally M captain of the year in 2002 and 2004).

- Paul Dunn (played 100 games for the Bulldogs and won the Clive Churchill medal in Canterbury's 1988 premiership).

Chris Anderson (won the 1980 premiership with the Bulldogs and coached the Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm to grand final success)

- Lynne Anderson (daughter of late Bulldogs supremo Peter 'Bullfrog' Moore and Chris Anderson's wife. Gold Coast Titans board member and Australian Paralympic Committee CEO).

- John Ballesty (former Wallaby and Roosters player, managed Canterbury Leagues Club for 29 years)

- John Khoury (businessman, local with over 35 years involvement in Bulldogs junior rugby league)

- Nick Dimas (former Bulldogs director, senior executive at Subway Group).

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bulldogs-board-challenge-20171129-gzvb3f.html
Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on your way out Ray!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please don't get me started...
I have nothing but respect for the people mentioned above and what they have achieved while at our club especially The Great PETER MORE.
BUT you do remember most of these people are the opportunists who dumped Canterbury at the first chance for more money elsewhere ?
Humans make mistakes, Maybe the most damming mistake made by the current board was to trust Des Hasler to control all football issues !!!
BUT can we trust the opportunists whose self interests and power greed are the main reasons they are challenging.
I can not comment on the leagues club revenues these things needs proper studies, but has anyone been to the leagues club lately and witnessed the incredible project that is going on ?
does it look like evidence of management resting on their laurels ?
Steve Mortimer has never been disloyal to OUR CLUB and never will !
I trust and support his judgment, It would be Unwise to support his opponents the people who are only interested when things are going their way !
Remember the Moores and cousins Hughes sons in law Anderson and Folkes still think they are our clubs ROYAL FAMILY :grinning:
Sorry Lynne and boys...you just can't choose when TO CARE OR NOT TO CARE.

The current board was fairly stable since 2008 and the club was relatively successful, granted there was no premiership but there certainly wasn't a need to vote them out.
They have seen what direction the club is heading and have taken action as soon as they could seeing as there hasn't been a vote since Feb 2016.
Just because they haven't been directly involved in the club for while doesn't mean they don't care!

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
I like Turvey , I really do but for all his astute observations on the football field he has bugger all politically.
Why would he have aligned himself with Ray Dib when we all knew a rival ticket of considerable clout was imminent.
He's really made it difficult for himself now if he's lucky enough to remain on the next board.
I refuse to be swept up by the excitement of this new ticket but I predict sweeping changes in February.
Bring it on.

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don't the members vote tho?
Sponsors and third parties don't vote.
In any case those thitd party sponsors are only intetested in both the individual player and the brand.

I can assure you they would have very little interest in Ray Dib.

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
This is a very good ticket. Turvey should have held off getting involved with the current board and joined this one. I'm not concerned about what Dib brings in third parties, we are a successful club that plenty want to be involved in, we will still get them no matter who is in charge.

Anyone wanting Graham Hughes to be involved in the club needs to listen to his show on 2SM. He has absolutely no connection to the club to the point that he tells callers "your club" when they call in to speak about the bulldogs. Trying to get onto the board a few years ago was about self interest and trying to secure the CEO role.
Graham is highly intelligent and clearly loves the club but he's agenda driven and thrives on settling old scores .
He refuses to believe the Moore era ended long ago.
I was really disgusted when he convinced his entire family to hand in their life memberships , really really childish.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I cant be too critical of the current board..
1) They brought in Hasler under everyones noses which wad a huge coup
2) They sacked Hasler the first year he didnt make finals & brought in Pay which really looks to have changed things for the better
3) The current board has Steve Mortimers support
4) We are strong off the field with 3rd parties and corporate support

Sacked Reynolds for Foran. Woods in for Graham. Not so shabby.

Once Steve Mortimer said he was behind the current board, that was good enough for me. Steve Mortimer has the best intentions for our club.

Unfortunately the club did rightly sack Kevin Moore in 2011, so I can see some personal agenda being their with the rival ticket

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Lynn Anderson was so passionate about the Bulldogs, a club her dad helped create why was she on the Gold Coast Titans board till now, helping a rival club.

That club has been a disaster anyway so nothing their to.point to as a success

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant be too critical of the current board..
1) They brought in Hasler under everyones noses which wad a huge coup
2) They sacked Hasler the first year he didnt make finals & brought in Pay which really looks to have changed things for the better
3) The current board has Steve Mortimers support
4) We are strong off the field with 3rd parties and corporate support

Sacked Reynolds for Foran. Woods in for Graham. Not so shabby.

Once Steve Mortimer said he was behind the current board, that was good enough for me. Steve Mortimer has the best intentions for our club.

Unfortunately the club did rightly sack Kevin Moore in 2011, so I can see some personal agenda being their with the rival ticket
I agree, however the re-signing of Des was a huge mistake. I guess it depends on how much that mistake has undone all the other good work....

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, however the re-signing of Des was a huge mistake. I guess it depends on how much that mistake has undone all the other good work....
No board is going to get it right 100% of the time. They saw their mistake and sacked him by years end.

Peter Tunks said we re-signed Des so we could eneter the market for players. If we didnt have 'stability' by having a coach signed up for 2018 early this year it would have affected our chances at signing Foran/Woods.

Im happy to follow Steve Mortimer. And if he supports the current board then thats good enough for me.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dib will be very hard to get rid of.
He brings in a lot of third party agreements for our players. He is very well connected with businesses in the Canterbury Bankstown area.

I do like the sound of this ticket.
I would like Mortimer to be part of the club if this current board loses.
Really
And what big name players has his connections been able to help us get?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

so what is she trying to say here? We should have kept Des and let him continue driving the place into the ground?
I hate Dib as much as the next bloke and would be happy to see the back of him. But despite who's fault any of the Des mess was, at least they did something about it and got rid of him.
For the first time in a long while, the footy season ahead is getting exciting again seeing our players be freed of the control freak Des. RIP desball
I would have been happy about Des going even if we had paid him out. Dib tarnished the clubs reputation a bit there, not treating Des fairly. Des had to go and was always going to, but to not only sack him, but tell him he also wont get any payout is probably not fair.

They probably already know we will end up paying Des something. Its going to be all about how much.

Dib. Well he has done a legendary job the last 3 months. Hes like a player at contract time. Good form. Problem is he is set to lose the club a chunk of change, and the decision to extend Des was a huge fkup. It counters a lot of the good hes doing. Like some of the names on the reform ticket. Not unhappy with those guys around the place. I am a lot more interested to see what our different roster and new coach will produce next year on the field.

x-factor

Y.N.W.A
Reaction score
Just feel like running will tarnish all reputation these guys had if they had any after the land slide loss

Dunn is to the club what a bindi is to your foot. Running and grabbing anyone he can to fill the numbers he just needs to fk off.

Like others mentioned these guys left and done their own thing forgetting about the bulldogs.

I’d dare say the current board has more ‘bulldog years’ in them then these other clowns. Pull your heads in

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Too slow. Should’ve made noises when it counted. Dib will rout them.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don’t want us to follow other basket case clubs with continual board changes. In my opinion Dib fd up a few things this year and really has a lot of ground to make with members and fans. As fans we demand success 13 years since a premiership is far too long for the Canterbury club.
The new ticket wants to bring back the old Canterbury but let’s remember it’s 2017 not the 80’s. Dib can bring a lot of 3rd party and business on board so it’s a big decision for voting members ‘damned if you do, damned if you dont’ Hasn’t Dib changed the constitution of the board elections which helps him?? If so it could be a tough run for this new ticket. The main point of this needs to be success on the field which will lead to success off the field. A premiership by 2019 would be very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.