Mbye set to become Bulldogs fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another person who thought Josh Morris played well in 2017. It was Hasler’s fault. Everything was his fault.
Josh Morris did not play well in 2017. To suggest otherwise is fanciful.
He played better this year then last, although that's not saying much. Hasn't been the same since he got injured in the 2014 origin series.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Another person who thought Josh Morris played well in 2017. It was Hasler’s fault. Everything was his fault.
Josh Morris did not play well in 2017. To suggest otherwise is fanciful.
He actually stringed a few good games together. Inconsistent and overweight but he has his moments

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Josh Morris was one of your best players in 2017, that’s telling a very bleak story. He wasn’t in your best half dozen players. If he was playing well as you seem to think he was, why was he overlooked for origin ?
Brett wasnt though. With all of the "experts" saying they are over the hill,
Bmoz was still picked for origin.
They have anothwr year in them. I wouldnt re sign them after that, but im confident they will go well next year, and perhaps Jmoz and Brenko can spend a whole lot of time togethwrso brenko learns how to defend.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Been suggesting this for 2 years, along with Hoppa to centre.

Keen to see if it works.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It should work out pretty well. To make his life easier we will need to put a massive emphasis on our middle third and play a power game up the middle (playing over the advantage line before thinking about sideways shit) couple this with Foran playing right to the line and Klemmer and Woods offloading Mbye could make some really nice plays. My 17 with him at 1 would be
1. Mbye
2. Montoya
3. Hopoate
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Foran (his greatest strength is taking the line on, needs to be 2nd receiver so some defenders are engaged otherwise his opportunities will be limited)
7. Cleeland (predominately a 6, but his game won't change to dramatically as he will still play right side)
8. Klemmer (isn't a lock never will be, don't want to see him play 80mins ever again, needs to be used in 20-30min bursts)
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Martin (gk)
12. Elliot
13. Jackson (c)

14. Brown
15. Mariner
16. Tolman
17. This spot is wide open, would like to say Taulau, but I think we need to run with 2 backrowers on the bench.. perhaps if Eastwood is still around he could be well suited here getting like two 10-15 min stints...

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I find it hard to leave Brenko Lee out of the side. He is our most potent attacking outside back. Before you bunch of bananas start talking about his defense, that will improve with experience. The hard thing is working out who gets dropped.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dear Dean Pay,

WTF.

Mbye/Foran in halves

Safe and solid Hoppa at FB

Go hard for RTS for 2019

Move Hoppa to centre in 2019

Yours truly,

Somebody that knows this team better than you.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It should work out pretty well. To make his life easier we will need to put a massive emphasis on our middle third and play a power game up the middle (playing over the advantage line before thinking about sideways shit) couple this with Foran playing right to the line and Klemmer and Woods offloading Mbye could make some really nice plays. My 17 with him at 1 would be
1. Mbye
2. Montoya
3. Hopoate
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Foran (his greatest strength is taking the line on, needs to be 2nd receiver so some defenders are engaged otherwise his opportunities will be limited)
7. Cleeland (predominately a 6, but his game won't change to dramatically as he will still play right side)
8. Klemmer (isn't a lock never will be, don't want to see him play 80mins ever again, needs to be used in 20-30min bursts)
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Martin (gk)
12. Elliot
13. Jackson (c)

14. Brown
15. Mariner
16. Tolman
17. This spot is wide open, would like to say Taulau, but I think we need to run with 2 backrowers on the bench.. perhaps if Eastwood is still around he could be well suited here getting like two 10-15 min stints...
Your views on Foran are just wrong tbh. He is far more suited at first receiver than second receiver, not to mention the bloke can barely run these days so you sure as shit don't want him out wide with his lack of mobility and pace.

Forans strengths are his vision and creating opportunities for the players around him by playing direct and engaging the defence. He also plays well off a quick play the ball and moves the ball where it needs to be.

Foran needs to be the dominant halves partner and direct us around, it's as simple as that. If he's not in the 7 and/or playing first receiver for us next season more often than not, then the ***** a pussy and another Hasler dud. Another rookie shouldn't be forced into a role they simple aren't suited to just because the bloke with experience and the ability to play that role doesn't want to.

The only way i could accept Foran not being the dominant half is if Pay decides the blokes just way to fragile and just doesn't have the legs to always be in position.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
bit weird considering our best attacking centre Brenko would get shafted?

makes our backline really slow and aging

Edit - yes i know my grandmother could defend better than him, but no doubting he was our biggest threat in attack last season, so i would like to see him have another crack

Well you don't know that maybe we move josh Morris on before the season starts

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is perfect for Mbye. He can really move on from all the criticism and has an opportunity to regain his worth. I reckon he will take this with both hands. All eyes will be on him next year and i reckon he will surprise the whole NRL. i really hope he shows us more of that speed.
Now for Hopoate. I think this is good news for him. It takes a lot of weight and pressure off his shoulders. Just like he was a solid fb i think he will be a solid centre. He just needs to focus on attacking structures and flare.
Now for Brenko. I was very impressed with this bloke last year. I am sure Pay was impressed with him as well. I am sure we will see more of Brenko in 2018.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Fellas on here have been talking about it for years.

Mbye at the back gives us a bit of balance, variety and speed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Now for Brenko. I was very impressed with this bloke last year. I am sure Pay was impressed with him as well. I am sure we will see more of Brenko in 2018.
Brenko is as good as gone. Pay knows how bad his defence was from his Raiders days.. thats why Raiders were happy to release him but not Edrick.

Brenko's days are numbered... he won't have his contract renewed unless he suddenly learns how to tackle.

Forans strengths are his vision and creating opportunities for the players around him by playing direct and engaging the defence. He also plays well off a quick play the ball and moves the ball where it needs to be.

Foran needs to be the dominant halves partner and direct us around, it's as simple as that. If he's not in the 7 and/or playing first receiver for us next season more often than not, then the ***** a pussy and another Hasler dud. Another rookie shouldn't be forced into a role they simple aren't suited to just because the bloke with experience and the ability to play that role doesn't want to.

The only way i could accept Foran not being the dominant half is if Pay decides the blokes just way to fragile and just doesn't have the legs to always be in position.
Possibly the best post I've seen you write on here :grinning:.

100% agree... Forans strength is hitting the line fast and engaging defence, or reading the defence and knowing where to inject himself in play to create and overlap.

That and he has a bloody beautiful passing game.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Your views on Foran are just wrong tbh. He is far more suited at first receiver than second receiver, not to mention the bloke can barely run these days so you sure as shit don't want him out wide with his lack of mobility and pace.

+1 Foran NEEDS to be halfback.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Montoya
3. Hopoate
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Martin (gk)
12. Elliot
13. Jackson (c)

14. Brown
15. Mariner
16. Tolman
Eastwood again in first grade are you joking, last season I thought his best possession was prop in our RMC team. We may excuse him however because him and many others lost heart due to the Des factor ,or he may have played injured. Pay is the one who could get the best out of him, but if he looks like having another year like 2017, its got to be either out or to the RMC not to our ISP team.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The article says that Hopoate would likely move to centre while either Frawley, Cleeland or Nu Brown would partner with Foran.
And Hopoate displayed his ball passing skills in the final games of the season, when he chimed in and threw perfectly timed passes out to the wing for tries. I thought then that he looked a natural centre who could read opportunities, and draw in the defence.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Terry Lamb wasn't a speedster either; but he had the experience and ability to think quickly, assess a situation, and send someone through a gap. He also knew how to back up play, and be there for the final pass. As Rex Mossop used to say: "he is fast between the ears, and that's where it counts". Foran may be able to deliver much the same at No. 6.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Haven't really said anything as I thought 2 years ago that Mbye would make a good FB. So glad of the change that is happening at the moment, pass or fail I was so sick of the last few years any change was welcome. I'm starting to think a decent season could be had next year for us!

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Mbye
2. Montoya
3. Hopoate
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Martin (gk)
12. Elliot
13. Jackson (c)

14. Brown
15. Mariner
16. Tolman

Danny Fualalo deserves a spot in the 17.....

Status
Not open for further replies.