Should the NRL have a Zero Tolerance drug policy?

Should the NRL have a Zero Tolerance drug policy?

• Yes - Zero Tolerance to all drugs.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No - Let the players do what they want.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Maybe - Depends on the drug.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on this?

Cocaine and other drugs can have (even the most minute) increase in performance.

I honestly believe the NRL need to get strict on this.

If you are caught in the possession of, or in the act of consuming any recreational drug, and charged/under investgation, you are stood down till court/charges are pressed.

If found guilty, your contract should be terminated effective immediately and 5 year ban placed on the player in the NRL.

What role models do these players set, when they are snorting shit up their noses!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting as to whether an employer can sack an employee for drug use.

I know this is a British publication but surely principles would be pretty much the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2005/sep/24/careers.work1

The legality of dismissal for recreational drug use hinges on a gamut of laws that cover health and safety, employment, human rights and data protection. If a case of unfair dismissal is brought before an employment tribunal, the onus is on the employer to prove that drugs have had a detrimental impact on the employee's ability to do the job.

"An employer can stipulate about behaviour in private. This is known as a moral clause and is standard in many celebrity contracts," says Brian Palmer, an employment lawyer for Charles Russell. "For example, it would be understandable that a children's TV company would not want to have a known cocaine fiend as a presenter."

Even if an employee is convicted of a drug offence, "the employer would still have to prove that dismissal was justified", says Palmer. "The argument of bringing an employer's name into disrepute would only be valid if that employer was mentioned during the legal proceedings."

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They should only worry about actual performance enhancers tbh. Recreational drugs are too widespread. If the NRL really cracked down on this, it wouldn't have much of a product left tbh...I don't think players use cocaine to boost performance on field and if he surprised if players are lining up before faves. They are doing it after faves and at times when they figure it's safe and they won't be tested.

Better off to just abandon the fiction that these people are role models (most footy players aren't great told models ...certainly a lot of them) accept they are gonna, let them live their lives and let the cops deal with them if and when necessary.

This anti recreational drug rule is stupid because one player gets busted and everyone in the media pretends it's not most people in the game who are doing it.

It's (drug use) a widespread societal issue, it's rife in the game and it's not really going to stop by telling young players they can't do it and are role models.

It's only wrong if you get caught. I'm not saying I agree with the saying, but players AND clubs live by this mantra imo. Recreational drugs, salary caps... many rules are broken by individuals and clubs within the game... regularly.

Drop the stupid role model narrative. About time we started being honest with our kids that it's ok to like people for being good st footy but at the end of the day they are still human beings and still flawed, damaged creatures just like the rest of us.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Come on, seriously?? I cant believe people calling recreational drugs 'performance inhancing' drugs. What a laugh. Unless they have a big line of coke and then walk out onto the field, recreational drugs will only have a detrimental effect. There is no way proctor and bromwich will play better next week because of it!!!
If you want the NRL to have zero tolerence on drugs then lets not prejudice and pick and choose what drugs to show zero tolerence to. Lets not forget that alcohol is a drug. And surely we cant forget the damage it has done to the game, and to common people in society.
How many car accidents, domestic violence or common assault instances are directly attributed to alcohol??? Almost all of them. So dont be naive and stand there with your heads in the sand on this.
Im not saying that drugs have a place in the game, but if anyone is suggesting that if a player has a line of coke they should be banned for life then you have no clue whatsoever.
If the police let them off with a warning, then i think it would be a massive over reaction if the club stood them down for more then a week or two in my opinion.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They should only worry about actual performance enhancers tbh. Recreational drugs are too widespread. If the NRL really cracked down on this, it wouldn't have much of a product left tbh...I don't think players use cocaine to boost performance on field and if he surprised if players are lining up before faves. They are doing it after faves and at times when they figure it's safe and they won't be tested.

Better off to just abandon the fiction that these people are role models (most footy players aren't great told models ...certainly a lot of them) accept they are gonna, let them live their lives and let the cops deal with them if and when necessary.

This anti recreational drug rule is stupid because one player gets busted and everyone in the media pretends it's not most people in the game who are doing it.

It's (drug use) a widespread societal issue, it's rife in the game and it's not really going to stop by telling young players they can't do it and are role models.

It's only wrong if you get caught. I'm not saying I agree with the saying, but players AND clubs live by this mantra imo. Recreational drugs, salary caps... many rules are broken by individuals and clubs within the game... regularly.

Drop the stupid role model narrative. About time we started being honest with our kids that it's ok to like people for being good st footy but at the end of the day they are still human beings and still flawed, damaged creatures just like the rest of us.
For once we totally agree. Theres also a massive difference between a player having a line of coke once in a blue moon, (i say this because i very much doubt any fulltime NRL player is in the clubs taking drugs every weekend) and someone who is taking drugs every second day.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
In a normal world if you caught with drugs you will get charged and possibly lose your job but in the NRL you will get rewarded lol.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clubs should expect players to stay clean so their body and mind are at 100%. If you're an athlete and you're being paid, your body is essentially the property of the club you play for.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on this?

Cocaine and other drugs can have (even the most minute) increase in performance.

I honestly believe the NRL need to get strict on this.

If you are caught in the possession of, or in the act of consuming any recreational drug, and charged/under investgation, you are stood down till court/charges are pressed.

If found guilty, your contract should be terminated effective immediately and 5 year ban placed on the player in the NRL.

What role models do these players set, when they are snorting shit up their noses!
Anyone who thinks cocaine is performance enhancing has never done cocaine

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clubs should expect players to stay clean so their body and mind are at 100%. If you're an athlete and you're being paid, your body is essentially the property of the club you play for.
Only to a degree. Does this same notion apply to every single job? What do you or i do when we come home from work? Exactly what we please. And unless it is directly affecting our work then i dont see what the issue is. So why can't a player do as they please in their spare time?
Im not saying they should be going out and taking drugs, and obviously the NRL and clubs have a set of guidelines in place, but i think its rediculous when recrational drugs are classed as performance enhancing drugs, and carry rediculous penalties at times.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive said it before should be compulsory for em all to use copious amounts of ice go absolutely crazy and smash fuck out of each other .
I want to be entertained

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Ive said it before should be compulsory for em all to use copious amounts of ice go absolutely crazy and smash fuck out of each other .
I want to be entertained
they'd eat each other's faces

Status
Not open for further replies.