Will we win a comp under Hasler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
if we play like our first game we can win.

for the life of me i dont know why we go back to last year style when we can win with how we played the first game.

Ross80

New Pup
Reaction score
Des is a proven coach, YES he makes selections on a weekly basis that make us wonder what is going through his head BUT he tries to introduce a style of footy that is boring and that doesn't get the players tired as easily. I think the only reason he does that is because he wants us to last the full 80 and blow teams of the park in the final 20. On friday night, we were below average and I think that is a credit to the way parra muscled up against our big men and got in the face of our halves and backs when we TRIED to put on a move. I wish he could change a few things but I guess we just have to stick by him and trust in his plan, hopefully he has one.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only acceptable replacement for Hasler would be Mcquire Bennett or Bellamy..

Doesnt look like any will leave there current clubs

We have spine issues, once we have a natural halfback and fullback we should do better

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa is more important than Brett. Brett played in both the dragons and roosters finals games and we played like shit.

Seeing Garveys deliveries and how much momentum is lost I dont think I really appreciated the dummy half position until now.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lichaa is more important than Brett. Brett played in both the dragons and roosters finals games and we played like shit.

Seeing Garveys deliveries and how much momentum is lost I dont think I really appreciated the dummy half position until now.
Even the Lichaa haters on here wish he returns ASAP

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only acceptable replacement for Hasler would be Mcquire Bennett or Bellamy..

We have spine issues, once we have a natural halfback and fullback we should do better
so who's fault is it that we have two number 6's in our team and 2 fabricated fullbacks? Surely 4 years is enough time to sort out your roster.....

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The Des worshippers club in here always come up with the statement "well if you dont want Des, what better coach is out there" and then they proceed to name Bellamy Bennett etc etc

There maybe only a few coaches with a win/loss record like Des and have won premierships etc but for what i have seen in the last 5 years,
ANY COACH, thats right ANY COACH that plays a different style of footy then we what we currently produce would be a welcome fresh air.
ANY COACH who actually has a game plan besides Tolman going for a hit up on 4th tackle would be a fresh air
ANY COACH who doesnt have his props as their halves would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who doesnt pass to their centes or forwards on last tackle would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who lets their halves run the ball and be first receivers would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who has their forwards running onto the ball at full pace would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who actually gives youngsters a go and doesnt keep the same squad in and out no matter how bad they are would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who believes in our junior development system would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH that can actually attract some decent recruitments would be a breath of fresh air.

i can keep goin and goin and goin..

Getting a new coach might not mean success, it could end up being a failure, but i for one welcome any change, a change is as good as a holiday and might be beneficial to the club its supporters and players. Des has had the opportunity over the last 5 years and its the same thing over and over, i love my Bulldogs with a passion and i am sick to death of watching us play the way we do. Enough is enough.

If Des got off his high horse and changed our tactics, the way we play etc and allowed youngsters like Philips a go then i would be more than happy to keep DES, but unless he does then ANY COACH besides Des would do...

Now shoot me down and tell me how much of an idiot i am, how i should back my club, tell me how i shouldn't be so negative, that i should have patience, that i am not a real supporter etc because if thats all you have to say then it is nothing new...

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't be so sure about Maguire, the rumor that the players are done with him keeps gaining traction.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Don't be so sure about Maguire, the rumor that the players are done with him keeps gaining traction.
I have also have heard so many rumours about him falling out with players. MAcguire apparently has an attitude which doesnt sit well with players...

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What Moey said!

bulldog_ando

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My only criticism of his coaching is he doesn't drop out of form players.
Yes that and the leash he puts on creative players, the over structured play that falls apart all the time because you cannot predict what the defensive line is going to do... which if you ask me are massive problems...[/QUOTE]
This! Id love to ask the question to des why dont you drop out of form players why why why....

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When you consider where we where when Des stepped in, we have come a hell of a long way. We finished 9th the year before Des came, 13th the year before that, since then we haven't missed the finals once, and made it to the grand final twice.

Since 2012, Storm, Roosters, Sea Eagles, Souths, Cowboys and Broncos all have had 1 GF appearance, Bulldogs 2....... we have lost in those 2 appearances, and you have to give it to the winners, so maybe there have been 4 teams more successful than us over the last 4 years

Yes we still haven't got the main goal of a premiership, but how bad could the tactics be when they are that effective? Frustrating at times maybe, I don't always love the game plan or player selections, but, I couldn't coach the team to that record. You can not love the tactics, but you can't argue he doesn't know what he's doing.

Bennett maybe has a better record (other than screwing up Newcastle), Bellamy maybe (even post salary cap cheating, they have been good), pretty much any other coach that was said in the same sentence hasn't maintained it for more than a year or two. So, I don't always love it, but I don't doubt in the effectiveness of Des.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Des worshippers club in here always come up with the statement "well if you dont want Des, what better coach is out there" and then they proceed to name Bellamy Bennett etc etc

There maybe only a few coaches with a win/loss record like Des and have won premierships etc but for what i have seen in the last 5 years,
ANY COACH, thats right ANY COACH that plays a different style of footy then we what we currently produce would be a welcome fresh air.
ANY COACH who actually has a game plan besides Tolman going for a hit up on 4th tackle would be a fresh air
ANY COACH who doesnt have his props as their halves would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who doesnt pass to their centes or forwards on last tackle would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who lets their halves run the ball and be first receivers would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who has their forwards running onto the ball at full pace would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who actually gives youngsters a go and doesnt keep the same squad in and out no matter how bad they are would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH who believes in our junior development system would be a breath of fresh air
ANY COACH that can actually attract some decent recruitments would be a breath of fresh air.

i can keep goin and goin and goin..

Getting a new coach might not mean success, it could end up being a failure, but i for one welcome any change, a change is as good as a holiday and might be beneficial to the club its supporters and players. Des has had the opportunity over the last 5 years and its the same thing over and over, i love my Bulldogs with a passion and i am sick to death of watching us play the way we do. Enough is enough.

If Des got off his high horse and changed our tactics, the way we play etc and allowed youngsters like Philips a go then i would be more than happy to keep DES, but unless he does then ANY COACH besides Des would do...

Now shoot me down and tell me how much of an idiot i am, how i should back my club, tell me how i shouldn't be so negative, that i should have patience, that i am not a real supporter etc because if thats all you have to say then it is nothing new...
A million percent agree with u

Might be the best coach in the world but players are not reacting to his methodology
Time to move on

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Things are structured to the tee
If the defence reads us and does there homework on the way we play like parrascum did, there is NEVER a plan b or he may be too dumb to adjust the game plan on the run.

Reminds me of the 2012 gf
Melbourne studied barba all week long and numbered up on him
We should of had a plan b in a freaking gf !!

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Things are structured to the tee
If the defence reads us and does there homework on the way we play like parrascum did, there is NEVER a plan b or he may be too dumb to adjust the game plan on the run.

Reminds me of the 2012 gf
Melbourne studied barba all week long and numbered up on him
We should of had a plan b in a freaking gf !!
Funny you use the most structured team to point out why you shouldn't be structured. That said, for that Grand Final Melbourne and the Dogs played some amazing footy, and there wasn't much between the teams. The tactics were right, it was just that Melbourne's key guys rose to the occasion. Slater had one of the best games of his life, saved so many tries that other teams would have let in.

In the parra game the tactics were to attempt to attack Parra's right side, and they perceived that as weaker than the combo of Semi and Jennings. Though we still played a lot through the middle as we should be trying to dominate the proceedings through out forwards, and apart from the first 15mins, it was even in that battle, but generally because we were unable to take advantage of that domination. I

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Funny you use the most structured team to point out why you shouldn't be structured. That said, for that Grand Final Melbourne and the Dogs played some amazing footy, and there wasn't much between the teams. The tactics were right, it was just that Melbourne's key guys rose to the occasion. Slater had one of the best games of his life, saved so many tries that other teams would have let in.

In the parra game the tactics were to attempt to attack Parra's right side, and they perceived that as weaker than the combo of Semi and Jennings. Though we still played a lot through the middle as we should be trying to dominate the proceedings through out forwards, and apart from the first 15mins, it was even in that battle, but generally because we were unable to take advantage of that domination. I

Des Hasler was outcoached plain and simple in the 2012 Grand final, we play like robots and do exactly what Hasler tells us too. Bellamy studied the video and devised a simple plan that screwed us and it was oh so simple. All Bellamy did was instruct his outside backs to rush up everytime the ball went out the back to Keating/Barba. The backs did exactly what Bellamy said and therefore it killed our attack and simple run around the back and pass to Barba trick. All Hasler had to do was tell Keating/ Reynolds to kick behind the winger at various times and put the defense on the back foot and that way it would the defense in 2 minds and would stop them from rushing up. Simple. And we wouldnt of been so restricted in attack. We were a 1 trick pony then and we still are.

Yes it was a great grand final and it was close and both teams played superb, but at the end of the Day Bellamy got the advantage over us and guided Melbourne to a victory. 2013 onwards every other coach caught on to that and made us innefective and we still use the similar structures to this day.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the running on the last tackle thing....teams basically know that they will not have to defend kicks when on their goal line and yes it might be a safe play and stops the 7 tackles set (except we usually give away a late set penalty giving them 11 or 12 tackles anyway) but it also stops us jagging a try here and there and many games are won on these tries from kicks

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love or hate Des people need to look at the situation objectively. Players in the team are the ones Des wants, he didn't inherit a roster. We have no recognised fullback (Des signed Borris a 28 year old winger for 4 years to move to fullback). We have Jorris who is almost 30 who offers no attack. Sam Perrett a winger who is almost 31 who's best days are behind him. We took a gamble on Hoppa which could have gone either way. We are playing two 5/8's, one of them isn't very good and the other is a kid who is expected to step up and lead the team around in a position he doesn't really want to play in. We have a hooker who is still developing his game.

In the lower grades we have SFA to challenge players in the backs. Phillips was off contract, he wasn't signed by any other club probably because there was no interest. We got Craig Garvey at the last minute. Dane Chisholm is injured so god forbid we need a half from the lower grades anytime soon. Yes there are a few solid forwards there.

This is Des' 5th year and I would have expected us to be in much better shape player wise.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It was a game against them, I don't want to be like Melb what so ever. Furthermore Melb and Bellamy have always been flexible and smart enough to change their game plan on the run according to how the opposition is reading them.
Even Brad Arthur out coached mr Hasler last Friday night

Status
Not open for further replies.