Barba on Sterlo tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goz

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should all send castle a nice email and say "get rid of him" make her job easy for her

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ill steal some of your plan if i may:p

i dont mind the receiving team to have a cap penalty, like half the value of the contract for the duration what the player would have stayed at the old club

but my real wish is too radical, retract the cap and allow transfers aka association football
So scrap the cap?

I dont mind as the Bulldogs are strong & can stand alone. The Dragqueens would have to join Eels & Tigers to make a buck!

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough edroy. But people all over the working environment ask for pay rises even during a contract. It doesnt just happen in league.
I guess. It's more the way in which some people go about it but I suppose if you ask and the club denies (they may not be able to under the cap) then you can become demanding.

All this crap is one of the blights on the modern game.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep he and his manager have handled this appalingly and have ruined our season.

Bring it on

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope he gets dropped to reserve grade at broncos will be so funny to c him fail and I honestly believe it will happen he will not be as good as 2012 and fr this year he has been average even his try's all came off someone else hardwork.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mr I, you still think he is staying?
Looking at schools in both states, but putting pressure on our club to upgrade his contract...

He's basing things around Broncos welcoming him with open arms if the Bulldogs reject a contract upgrade. Might be in for a rude shock if he expects big money from Broncos though.

Easy way for the NRL to solve this.. If you sign a contract, you are bound to that contract. If you want to go elsewhere or breach it, you sit out not playing league with another club until the contract period expires.

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at schools in both states, but putting pressure on our club to upgrade his contract...

He's basing things around Broncos welcoming him with open arms if the Bulldogs reject a contract upgrade. Might be in for a rude shock if he expects big money from Broncos though.

Easy way for the NRL to solve this.. If you sign a contract, you are bound to that contract. If you want to go elsewhere or breach it, you sit out not playing league with another club until the contract period expires.
Yea but the problem with your idea it has to go both ways because teams cut players all the time can't have the clubs have all the power
Something better would be you have to buy your own contract out if you want to leave this would stop players leaving all together just like the club has to if they want you gone

Goz

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Bulldogs offered him a 3 year $850k a season deal, he'd stay.
Wouldn't pay a cent more than he's on now, not wanted, not required, goodbye, he's in my grub category now

sawtell girl9

Waterboy
Reaction score
Well Des did build Barba from a fringe NRL player to a Daly M player.

Maybe Des & Noel has a new player in mind that can be even better!
What players has Noel bought to the club over the last 2 years? Are any of them good?

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should all send castle a nice email and say "get rid of him" make her job easy for her
No do the opposite, **** brisbane around as much as possible, play mind games back and hopefully they loose hoffman who has already stated he is not exactly thrilled. Play barba in reserves until a suitable replacement is secured. Barba and Orr want to play games give it right back to em, fact of the matter is he is contracted to us and can't play for another NRL club till 2016 season. Don't give the snivelling little **** an extra cent.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep I hope they don't release him.

I hope they force him to play out his contract, and if he plays shit then just make him play out his contract in NSW Cup (or Reserve grade which I hear is coming back).

Someone at some point has to make a stand and make players responsible for the contracts they sign.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
No do the opposite, **** brisbane around as much as possible, play mind games back and hopefully they loose hoffman who has already stated he is not exactly thrilled. Play barba in reserves until a suitable replacement is secured. Barba and Orr want to play games give it right back to em, fact of the matter is he is contracted to us and can't play for another NRL club till 2016 season. Don't give the snivelling little **** an extra cent.
Yes this is what I would like to see other than don't give him the chance just drop him to lower grades straight up!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If the Bulldogs offered him a 3 year $850k a season deal, he'd stay.
He's lost the dogs fans now so its pointless upgrading his contract, that would be rubbing salt into an open wound. Lower grades for the 2014 season then dump him.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I've read over 500 posts on the topic this morning.
And believe me, THIS is keeping it short.

Lets start by re-capping what is IMO the most intelligent sense made so far by anyone here on the topic.

There is a lot of emotion running wild here and it IS understandable... but let's go back a bit.

1st - Ben isn't a genius. He's from a family with a reputation for doing their own thing and running wild as they please. He isn't a good public speaker, nor a good communicator generally.

2nd - Ben went off the rails after last season. Too much piss and too much other shit forced a split from his missus. Which wouldn't be a problem EXCEPT

3rd - Ben had kids to her. ANYONE with kids can tell you that they would move heaven and earth to be near them. If my missus moved to Mars, I'd be on seek looking for jobs in Mars the same day.

As for the $$ thing, don't read too much in to it. It may be a part of it but the mother of his kids IS moving back to QLD for her own reasons. When Ben went sideways she learned that she can't live in Ben's world any more. She can't let her life revolve around Ben. She has more support and more family up here in QLD.

Few things to consider. Ben didn't agree with how the start of the year was handled. Greenburg and Ben aren't as close as it may appear and friction has occurred in other areas due to all this whole shemozzle. There has been a power shift in the relationship between Ben and Ms Currie.

I don't have contacts with the club as some others here do but I do have a unique source of info that I have no reason to doubt.

I think Ben ****ed up royally. He thinks he is doing the right thing and will hurt us fans. He couldn't articulate his way out of a wet paper bag. He also has a ego (required to perform at his level imo).
BINGO !!! ..... Sometimes in life, it eventually gets to the point where all the dollars in the world can't stop you from doing what you know you need to do.

Their relationship, her quality of life, the environment the kids will be raised in ... ALL transcends football.

She couldn't give a sh*t about money.
She couldn't give a sh*t about Bulldogs.
AND RIGHTLY SO ...

Just because he is the Dally M player of the year, doesn't mean she has to tolerate his behind-the-scenes nonsense.

I get that people are upset.
I get we're all disappointed.

Ben has made a bed for himself, and after 5+ years of loyalty, dependance, support and dedication, now Ainslie's had enough and is making him lie in it.

Ultimately, he's got two choices.
And none of them end well for Bulldogs fans.

(1) Stay at the Dogs. Go without the kids for extended periods. Earn your money. Play your best football. Stay in the environment that is assisting him become a better man and father. Create a legacy to be proud of. Suffer the pain of loneliness and the resentment of Ainslee from 1000kms away, with extra downtime to spare, and under the expectation that pubs/drinking/gambling/company-of-mates-in-public is a no go zone for the entirety of his contract.

(2) Move with the kids. Earn pretty-good money. Play some good football. Uproot yourself from your closest mates and the hundreds of club-people you've known since 16, after they've moulded you into the worlds best player. Suffer the guilt of f*cking it all up when it was going so well for the rest of his life, all the while attempting to atone for past sins, be a presence in his kids life, and try not to resent Ainslee for it.

Is it any wonder the man is struggling ???
Walk a mile in his shoes FFS.

YES ... he f*cked it all up.
We know that. He knows that.
That's NOT the point.

The kids will ALWAYS come first ... and RIGHTLY SO.
Money simply does not matter in the slightest right now.

Look at Tawera Nikau. The man cut off his own leg to ensure his kids didn't have to suffer being without him for an extended period, after their mum killed herself. - Walking didn't seem important when his kids happiness was at stake. To him, it's simply what Dad's do.

Ben Barba is torn between his personal obligations with being the Dad he wants-to-be, and the professional obligations that come with being a Dally M footballer on the cusp of forging a rewarding career in an elite sport, in the window of 'right now'.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from CK but you don't know if any of that is true at all.

It could easily all just be a ruse to get more money. The fact he has NEVER said he is proud to be a bulldog says a lot. If his response to Sterlo was "I am very proud to be a bulldog, and am very grateful for everything the club has done for me but my kids come first and if they move to Brisbane which seems likely, I will want to follow them" I doubt any of this fall out would be happening.

But it seems pretty likely that he doesn't give two shits about this club and just wants more money.

The major thing that makes me so dubious about this whole thing is why hasn't she moved yet? If what you have said is true you would think she would want to be up there ASAP but this has been going on for a very very long time. You don't think it is a bit convenient that it is taking this long? You don't think they are playing the Club for a significant upgrade or a release so he can get a significant upgrade elsewhere?

All of that makes just as much sense as your point of view.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really hope some kind of player swap happens, if we just give them Barba I'm going to be furious.

If he is going to Brisbane then then Des needs to try and get a swap for Hoffman.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I really hope some kind of player swap happens, if we just give them Barba I'm going to be furious.

If he is going to Brisbane then then Des needs to try and get a swap for Hoffman.
Hoffmans terrible thats not a straight swap

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CK, thats all fine.

But your post assumes that Ainslee has the full intention of moving regardless and that this isnt just a con for the money.

Wheres the scenario of her magically becoming happy to live in sydney if barba gets what he wants (cha-ching)?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol ok let me walk a mile in the barba shoes

*walks*

ffs i feel like a piece of **** now

Status
Not open for further replies.