How to beat St George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade83

Waterboy
Reaction score
No we have to think smart and concentrate for the eighty minutes, don't let anyone tell you NRL players are stupid lugs, this comp is a thinking mans game and the brainiest team wins, I was hoping Pritchard might be able to show us a few set plays.
What?

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
lol if it is that easy to beat the dragons why havent more teams beaten them?

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I and we have said line speed is the way to beat them in both defence and attack.
They are negated if you do that and Crynulla showed how to do it with straight up and in your face defence.
Granted it was a very wet and boggy surface, but it highlighted the weak area of StGeorge. They love to use the sidelines to their upmost on a good surface.
I saw, 1st handed live, an unbiased opinion against Parramatta how they operate.

If you have a defence that is not confident and is in two minds, ie sliding instead of moving up giving it to them, they will kill you.
Soward, with pace chimes into the backline and feeds them, Cooper and Gasnier which then creates space on the outside. Either of the two wingers have room to move down the outside.
Get up and into them, no sliding and cut off their options.
Agreed.

It seems the fans are all united on how to beat them, let's hope the boys try and utilise these tactics!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol if it is that easy to beat the dragons why havent more teams beaten them?
Psycology time. The Dragons are a very confident team that plays well because they have a reputataion, some teams doubt themselves but I reckon we can pull them down a level with a rip and tear attitood.
Things like 20/40 kicks, one on one steals and charge downs shows a desperate side on a mission, we can do that stuff.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying to play error free football but if that means we resort to one out running then we will get dominated again. The Merge defense is too good around the ruck to gain any momentum doing that. The key to beating them is trying to avoid gang tackles and that comes from good wide running and second phase play. If you watch our last game against them that great 10-15 minute patch we had came off the back of offloads.

At this stage we don't have the line speed or defensive structure to think we can bash the out of them game. To beat them we have to take some risks in attack, get a lead and force them to start taking risks of their own instead of allowing them to play structured football the whole game.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Up in their face defence is the way to blot them out. Soward can kick the length of the field so he can afford to stand well back where he can't be rushed. However, if we can pin them on their own line Soward has nowhere to drop back and is then susceptible to pressure.

In attack, they do not like the ball moved around too quickly because it breaks up their straight line defence. If they rush up on the wings they will be exposed to a short chip.

Knowing this, and carrying it out, are two very different things.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to take every oppurtunity we get...I hope we have some tricks up our sleeves because every time we get in the opps 20 we lose all structure. We have capitalise.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if we score more points than them, we will win the game....... ;)

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Very hard to rush soward when he stands 15m behind play! At least no Darius this time
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8RwXyjsSPaW9baxppOb6o7q1aY67NaeL3-LsB3vIRNnU2Oxt9dg
i meant his kicking game. If we cant rush that we are in the poo.

In fact we need to be in the face of the whole team, rush them all. They only do well when they get a roll on and time to think. Cronulla showed how thats done. Im not worried about our attack. When not in the wet we have a pretty decent attack, hence being in the top few attacks in the NRL. Before last week we had the most tries scored of any team. Some eager defence and we should give the Merge a run for thier money.

C

chipandchase

No we have to think smart and concentrate for the eighty minutes, don't let anyone tell you NRL players are stupid lugs, this comp is a thinking mans game and the brainiest team wins, I was hoping Pritchard might be able to show us a few set plays.
so you are telling me that if we score more points we dont win?? lmao

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Well Jamie Soward injured his groin in City vs Country so that makes it easier.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
so you are telling me that if we score more points we dont win?? lmao
It's not something we can do at the drop of a hat when we are losing with fifteen minutes left, us armchair experts have a TV with an overview of the situation, good players will continually scan the defence but it's not a guarantee.

P

Paint.

Soward out... soward out... soward out... soward out... PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.