Status
Not open for further replies.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If St merge fans believe the media, i wonder what they make of the fact its even more in the media (especially here in Qld) that Bennett will go back to brisbane in 2012.
When the Cowboys win, regardless of their position on the table it makes the front page of the Courier Mail LOL.

Rowdy Bill

First Grader
Reaction score
im pretty sure that at the end of 2011, they are going to "consider" the retirement of matt cooper.. and thefore a left centre spot is open for josh by 2012,thats when all the big money plays will be involved and steve and brett will ask him to come back. i dont want him to go, but dam it seems likely he will.
We should buy Kyle Stanley then...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Why fight it for? If he doesn't want to play for us anymore, then let him go...

The club is bigger than any player. Always has been. Always will be.
Agreed. both brothers showed some faults this year and proved they aren't the perfect players. That said I want him to stay!

Bulldogs_23

Waterboy
Reaction score
lol media rubbish, lets wait and see boys and girls.

Last i heard he was one of 4 players in contract talks already at the dogs.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i hope he re-signs, but in sayin that i think he will go bak to dragons... if we could get kyle stanley that would make the loss not so bad... also i think the club should let steve turner go (i think hes off contract at the end of 2011) he just doesnt seem to have fit in, and he would free up decent coin.. any thoughts??

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I know if anyone we have goes we will find someone to fill their shoes. Morrises are good but there are a lot of good centres / wingers out there. My favourite person out wide is actually Lote Tiqiri.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think its a dog act if he goes back to the dragons considering they didnt want him anyway when he was signing up with canterbury, they offered him less than what he was already on which is like a slap in the face and now if he goes back to them its b*** s***

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dragon Matt Cooper will never fly the coop

BY MICHAEL CHAMMAS
17 Dec, 2010 04:00 AM

Veteran centre Matt Cooper is determined to settle a new deal with St George Illawarra that will see him remain a Dragon for life.
The 31-year-old, who is entering the final year of his contract with the Dragons, has revealed his intention to play on until at least the end of 2012.
Cooper has been in the red and white for almost 12 years and has no desire to leave his home town of Wollongong, where he has established a clothing business in Crown Street Mall.
But the Dragons, who signed Cooper's centre partner Mark Gasnier midway through last year, could be forced to offload the Illawarra junior, with backs Darius Boyd, Jason Nightingale, Kyle Stanley, Peni Tagive and Bronx Goodwin all off contract at the end of next year.
"It would be disappointing for me to leave for one year," Cooper told the Mercury.
"I would love to stay here at this great club and be a one-club man for my career.
"I'm feeling great, the mind's feeling good and after the grand final win I'm just more motivated to go on."
The image of Cooper in another NRL jersey would be a sad sight for Dragons fans, however they don't have to worry about him joining a long list of quality Australians in England.
The former international has no ambition to finish his career in the English Super League and has all-but ruled out any chance of the move.
"I had interest a couple of years ago before Wayne [Bennett] came but it was obviously a good decision to stay here," Cooper said.
"That interest has come and gone now. I have established a good home here for my family."
For Cooper, the reality of the club's long-awaited premiership triumph is yet to sink in.
Having finally ended a decade-long pursuit, Cooper said he is now more motivated than ever to put on the famous jersey with the big red V.
"I keep seeing photos of the grand final when we're all sitting around the trophy and it still doesn't seem real," Cooper said.
"Usually I'm dreading coming back for a hard preseason but this year it was the opposite.
"Getting the grand final win has motivated me to try and achieve more in the game."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...t-cooper-will-never-fly-the-coop/2027957.aspx

Relevant here id think you would agree... :D
Seems like they have alot of depth in the outside backs no need to look outside the club...
Alot of people also rate Kyle Stanley very highly as a centre

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt they'll have the cash for our Morris, but we certainly might for theirs come contract renewal time! :D

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
who cares let him go to the dragons, remenbering bennet wont be there

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
They reckon Kyle Stanley will be better suited in the halves, preferably at 5/8

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agreed ...

He's a top player but he's not without faults ... rarely looks to link with the winger, rarely goes looking for work (very quiet this year)

Love for him to stay, but mmmhhh like bear said, the club is bigger than any player
Totally agree, he forgot that he has a winger outside him a lot this year and hogged the ball trying to go himself instead of passing to goodwin and getting the points - i got the feeling he didnt want to be with the dogs this season tbh...he is a great player but he needs to want to be with the dogs otherwise his attitude will rub off just like when hannant said he didnt want be with us anymore so in saying that if thats the case let him go and get someone who is keen and give them the shot.

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Yes maybe a shift to halfback when Hornby retires.
They wont shift soward from the role which he plays incredibly well to an unproven player. maybe stanley would get a shot at halfback, but sowards position is cemented and there is no one but the coach who will ever get him off that position.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
They wont shift soward from the role which he plays incredibly well to an unproven player. maybe stanley would get a shot at halfback, but sowards position is cemented and there is no one but the coach who will ever get him off that position.
Bennett shifted Lockyer to five eighth to accommodate a 17yo Karmichael Hunt

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Bennett shifted Lockyer to five eighth to accommodate a 17yo Karmichael Hunt
Stanley is no Hunt or Lockyer from what iv seen. plus i dont think Bennet is staying at the dragqueens by the end of next year anyway

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Point is he shifted arguably the best fullback at the time from his position for a kid with no experience.

And yea, who knows where Bennett will be

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Point is he shifted arguably the best fullback at the time from his position for a kid with no experience.

And yea, who knows where Bennett will be
when hunt came onto the scene everyone knew he was gonna make it big. but notice i also said that no one but the coach can make soward change his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.