Setu to Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Love my ginga's
Reaction score
Setu to Roosters
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/setu-to-roosters-20100503-u3w3.html
CHRIS BARRETT
May 4, 2010

BRISBANE back-rower Lagi Setu has been released by the Broncos and signed for the Sydney Roosters until 2012.

The former St George Illawarra player, who was off-contract at Brisbane at the end of the season, is set to join Brian Smith's team immediately, the Herald has been told.

Reportedly earning $120,000 a year at the Broncos, Setu's release closely follows their acquisition of former North Queensland prop Shane Tronc from English Super League club Wakefield.

It also clears space to bring back ex-Broncos Petero Civoniceva and Ben Hannant.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
lol how does 120k clear space to sign petero and hannant lol?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why are they over the cap this year?

Myles, Pearce and Anasta would be their only big contracts.

Carney may be also but you'd think his price would be lowered by not playing for a year.

Then all you have is unproven youngsters or journeymen like Kouparitsas, James Aubusson, Riley Brown, Phil Graham, Daniel Conn, Aiden Guerra, Martin Kennedy, Nuuasaala, Ben Jones and so on.

Minichiello wouldn't be on much because he's had eight trillion operations, Warea-Hargreaves, Perrett, Paea. Kenny Dowall and Mitch Aubusson might be on about nearly 200k each and Ryles might be on a bit but you could easily fit their team under the cap when you look at their whole squad.

I think just because they're the Roosters, just because they've been over the cap in the past without being caught when they had their star studded teams full of rep players and just because the cap is the big issue in the game at the moment, that everyone feels it's easy to say "they're definitely over the cap"...

Teams like the Titans and Eels are the ones you guys should really be complaining about.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
yeh they lost most their big name players but yeah i would think tronc would get more than setu so how does it free up cash for hannent

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
WTF are Brisbane doing? They are struggling for forwards as it is and they let this one go? Granted Setu's not that great but Brisbane need all the help they can get. To release a forward just like that to an opposition team is plain stupid. Cullen and Co are pissing all over what was once a proud and mighty club. If I was a Brisbane supporter I'd do something about it.

How's the half a million dollar winger going? How did that work out for you? Typical inbred Queenslanders.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also KE if they clear room this year, front load some contracts it will give them bigger cap space for next year
I know but that would mean "laying down" this year. It's a good thing Melbourne are guaranteed the spoon because Brisbane are serious contenders for it. Storm will murder them this week.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
WTF are Brisbane doing? They are struggling for forwards as it is and they let this one go? Granted Setu's not that great but Brisbane need all the help they can get. To release a forward just like that to an opposition team is plain stupid. Cullen and Co are pissing all over what was once a proud and mighty club. If I was a Brisbane supporter I'd do something about it.

How's the half a million dollar winger going? How did that work out for you? Typical inbred Queenslanders.
KE, Broncos back row is the teams biggest strength and we actually have too many of them.
Thaiday, Parker, Teo all outstanding this year than we Have Glenn NZ international and Gillett who was awesome before he got injured. If releasing Setu gives even a little more chance to buy Hannant/Petero than it's worth it and Bruno can finally fix his mistake. Folau pissing off will be the start of the Broncos becoming a good team again a signing that should never ever have happened in the first place.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wait..... So now signing Folau was a bad decision?

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I thought Izzy was the second coming of Jesus

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
KE, Broncos back row is the teams biggest strength and we actually have too many of them.
Thaiday, Parker, Teo all outstanding this year than we Have Glenn NZ international and Gillett who was awesome before he got injured. If releasing Setu gives even a little more chance to buy Hannant/Petero than it's worth it and Bruno can finally fix his mistake. Folau pissing off will be the start of the Broncos becoming a good team again a signing that should never ever have happened in the first place.
Broncos have little no no depth. Play Setu up front if you have to. Come rep season when you lose Thaiday and you may cop an injury, what then? Brisbane need all the help they can get this year. Releasing a player this year to POSSIBLY sign a player next season is sht management. Release him at the end of the year if you have to.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Wait..... So now signing Folau was a bad decision?
Well seeing as we lost half our team for him only for him to pack up and **** off two years in yes a terrible decision.... If he stayed for 4 years than it would have been worth it especially with Hodges being so injury prone and getting on in age Folau is perfect for right centre but we lose half our team and than he goes while we are trying to re-build. He is a great player but he has proved more trouble than he is worth in his time at the Broncos.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Broncos have little no no depth. Play Setu up front if you have to. Come rep season when you lose Thaiday and you may cop an injury, what then? Brisbane need all the help they can get this year. Releasing a player this year to POSSIBLY sign a player next season is sht management. Release him at the end of the year if you have to.
It gives us a chance to front load contracts like TG did in 2008 so he could sign plenty of players in 2009. We have 2 backup backrowers,3 if you count Sims, after Setu leaves to cover injuries I think that is enough. Setu has also been average at best and very inconsistent.

The biggest problem is Ivan Cockjack, selecting a back or two on the bench is simply ridiculous when he have such a inexperienced forward pack who need all the help they can get.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well seeing as we lost half our team for him only for him to pack up and **** off two years in yes a terrible decision.... If he stayed for 4 years than it would have been worth it especially with Hodges being so injury prone and getting on in age Folau is perfect for right centre but we lose half our team and than he goes while we are trying to re-build. He is a great player but he has proved more trouble than he is worth in his time at the Broncos.
Haha. Are you serious Kimlo? We said the exact same things when you signed him and lost Boyd, Stagg, Hannant, Ennis, Eastwood and others as a result of wasting most of that money on Folau, Teo and Setu. Yet you insisted it was money well spent. He's not even that good a player at all and isn't in the top 10 centres in the game. Yet now you're completely backflipping on what you've said for two seasons just because he's leaving.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
maybe there looking at making a move for Hannant NOW ... for him to get that release he wanted

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Haha. Are you serious Kimlo? We said the exact same things when you signed him and lost Boyd, Stagg, Hannant, Ennis, Eastwood and others as a result of wasting most of that money on Folau, Teo and Setu. Yet you insisted it was money well spent. He's not even that good a player at all and isn't in the top 10 centres in the game. Yet now you're completely backflipping on what you've said for two seasons just because he's leaving.
Yes because he is leaving. If we had him for 4 years it would of been worth it because he's a very good player but for us to lose who we lost for him to leave 2 years later is a big time fail. I never thought it was an outstanding buy just that it wasn't as bad as you all make it out to be but with him leaving two years later it's terrible why was this clause even in there. In any case I'm glad he's gone hope Bruno doesn't buy players from other clubs again.

If you seriously don't reckon he's in the top 10 centres in the game than I won't bother arguing because it's obvious you've made up your mind on that issue.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It gives us a chance to front load contracts like TG did in 2008 so he could sign plenty of players in 2009. We have 2 backup backrowers,3 if you count Sims, after Setu leaves to cover injuries I think that is enough. Setu has also been average at best and very inconsistent.

The biggest problem is Ivan Cockjack, selecting a back or two on the bench is simply ridiculous when he have such a inexperienced forward pack who need all the help they can get.
If they have the mentality to frontload contracts, I'm sure they've already done it. I doubt they waited until they released Setu to free up about 100K to start frontloading contracts. I honestly believe he should've never been released. You guys like to blame your form on injuries yet you release any sort of depth you have.

Your biggest problem is Cullen and then Henjak. Seriously, who the hell is Henjak? Wasn't he a waterboy or something?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
maybe there looking at making a move for Hannant NOW ... for him to get that release he wanted
the dogs wont release him unless they get something in return. Compo or a like for like player. Give us Sam Thaiday lol

Status
Not open for further replies.