Golden Try, not Golden Point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
just piss the whole golden point/golden try thing off. its a stupid rule, to have in every single competition game is a joke.
I'd rather see a result than a draw.

Plus it makes for pretty entertaining and compelling viewing knowing that the next to score wins.

I like the golden try idea but I am a bit wary of it being f*cked up by the video ref system.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
If no try is scored, the game would be awarded to the team with the most points. it means you can still get field goals etc, but it means the other team still has a chance to fight back. would make for some interesting footy IMO

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm all for a golden-try ruling.

Goal kicking is for pansies. Only the strongest team should be allowed to win the game.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather see a result than a draw.

Plus it makes for pretty entertaining and compelling viewing knowing that the next to score wins.

I like the golden try idea but I am a bit wary of it being f*cked up by the video ref system.
its just a stupid rule. at the end of 80 if its all square its only fair to share the results. to go into a golden point situation, where only a field goal is required is a deadset lottery. whoever happens to get into good field position first is likely to win. and that might happen just because they win the toss, or the ref may award a dubious penalty.... its just a haphazard way to decide a game. Even soccer got rid of it - and its far more suited to soccer than to rugby league.

In league, there are 3 ways to scores: try, field goal or penalty goal. In soccer there is only one way to score. In league the easiest way to score is to pot a field goal. Its absurd that a team should be playing to score tries in the first 80 mins, then come golden point extra time only play for a field goal. that seems stupid to me. At the very least there should be 5 mins each way of extra time, then after that go for a golden try situation. And this should only be for finals footy. golden point is just too much of a lottery.

btw another stupid rule is the 40/20. why reward a team for kicking the ball out?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The 40/20 is a great rule. One of the extremely rare and few good rules changed or implemented in the last 15 years.

It rewards great kickers of the ball with distance and accuracy and adds a great deal to the game.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 40/20 is a great rule. One of the extremely rare and few good rules changed or implemented in the last 15 years.

It rewards great kickers of the ball with distance and accuracy and adds a great deal to the game.
why 40/20? why not 20/40? or 30/30? They are the exact same kicks as a 40/20. why should the only combination be 40/20? why should kickers get rewarded for such kicks? they should be kicking like that any way - they are professionals. the only reward for such kicks should be that it pins the opposition in their own half. the 40/20 is a silly rule that doesn't make any sense.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
do you contribute anything else besides complaining?

D

dogs_4 lyf

Ill have the golden try rule but with a player getting off on both sides after 2 minutes, until a try is scored. :grinning:

bigbulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i like the golden try idea its more exciting. but they need to get rid of the break and make it one 10 minute period so teams have time to build momentum. and 40/20s are a great part of the game

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
The NRL should implement a 3 man sack race to decide these matches..

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
they should make it golden try-silver point

a try ends it entirely and a point or penalty goal puts you ahead but you need to retain the lead until the end of extra time
Yeah but you can still silver point your way to an 8 point lead and have the other team score a try and loose. It shouldn't be "golden" anything. It should just be 10 extra minutes.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Yeah but you can still silver point your way to an 8 point lead and have the other team score a try and loose. It shouldn't be "golden" anything. It should just be 10 extra minutes.
but there is no logical reason to kick for an 8 point lead

after you are ahead and get another penalty, surely you just tap and try to finish it

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
if you have 4 penelties in their 1/2 and its a golden try then why would you go for the 2 points?

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Points on the board are still points on the board.
WTF are you talking about.... If penalty goals can't win it then why would any captain in the right mind elect to take a penalty goal...

It's about as stupid as taking a shot for goal when your 6 behind with 30 seconds to go.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just extra time would be better IMO...

But i don't see whats even wrong with having a draw at the end of 80 minutes...extra time only really works in finals games when you HAVE to find a victor.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should also put the Golden try for the City vs Country origin match. In 2008 it was a draw at 12 all and there was no golden point. Since City won the previous year the retained the trophy.

I know most people don't care about this match but I would still like to have golden try or point in City vs Country.

Status
Not open for further replies.