Holdsworth admits criticism hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs_fan_4lyf

PriiNc3ss :)
Reaction score
Under-fire Bulldogs halfback Daniel Holdsworth admitted he was affected by the criticism levelled at him in the lead-up to the 26-12 NRL finals win over Newcastle on Saturday.

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore dropped Holdsworth to the bench for the clash with the Knights, but the 25-year-old said he was happy with his contribution after entering the fray midway through the first half.

"It was a bit hard reading about yourself in the papers getting bagged by former players," Holdsworth said.

"But the ones that matter most, the boys and the coach are behind me and that helped me along."

Holdsworth was originally named in the Bulldogs starting line-up on Tuesday, but Moore opted to take the West Australian out of the firing line after he struggled defensively in last week's defeat by the Wests Tigers.

"Kev come up to me midweek and said that I only made 32 tackles or something last week and that didn't really help my case," he said.

"I like playing 80 minutes but it did save me a bit of energy so it was good."

The win ensured the Bulldogs have a week off ahead of the preliminary finals where Brett Kimmorley is expected to return after fracturing his cheekbone against the Warriors in round 25.

Holdsworth said he hoped Kimmorley would be back and was under no illusions about keeping his place in the side.

"Noddy has played 20 games this season I have played half a dozen so it is alright, I am not getting too ahead of myself," he said.

"It would be unreal if I get a bench spot."

Holdsworth was also backed by prop Michael Hodgson who said the team had developed a siege mentality following the defeat to the Tigers.

"He has had a tough week, but DJ is a classy player," Hodgson told AAP.

"He has played numerous positions for us this season ... he has a lot of finesse with the ball and kicks well I was really happy for him.

"We don't listen to external noise it makes us even closer, I wasn't even aware that there was much talk about us this week, we are a tight bunch of blokes and we keep it in house."

The former Parramatta, Canberra and Gold Coast front-rower also said the victory was even sweeter as it was the first time he had been on the winning side in six finals appearances.

Hodgson also said the win puts the Bulldogs in the perfect position to make a push for the grand final and Kimmorley's return will be a huge boost.

"You have to win to get momentum and confidence and the week off will allow us to get over some bumps and bruises," he said.

"And it has been rumoured that Noddy will be back for our next game which is fantastic as he is a tenacious competitor and a big part of our team and we are building for something special."

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...holdsworth-admits-criticism-hurt/default.aspx

You've got to feel for the guy, no matter wat he does he always gets critised.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What he reads in the paper is nothing compared to some of the comments that people make on this forum about him. Poor bloke you did well DJ

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
:( Poor guy. Good on you, DJ. Played a good game last night!!

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
On ya DJ, you have done the job and we can not ask for anymore, you played well last night and just wanna say congrats

Howsie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on the guy for having a solid game. But this is professional football, you're always going to be criticised for sub-par performances. If you can't handle it I don't think you'll make it in the NRL.

sn33ky23q

Ahmad
Reaction score
good on ya dj.
to be honest i rode him off, but he proved me wrong and im happy to say that

good game dj

Belmorian

Waterboy
Reaction score
super sub DJ

Congratulations DJ you deserve it mate,hope you stay with the club,you are a asset.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on you DJ, no matter what they all say - we really do you love you at the end of the day mate :grinning:

As for Hodgo - I'm so fking happy for him... first win in a Finals series - I'm so happy for you, you sexy bastard!!! :love: :love: :love:

Dogs_fan_4lyf

PriiNc3ss :)
Reaction score
Good on you DJ, no matter what they all say - we really do you love you at the end of the day mate :grinning:

As for Hodgo - I'm so fking happy for him... first win in a Finals series - I'm so happy for you, you sexy bastard!!! :love: :love: :love:
x2 Firstt wiin congrattsss :grinning:

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 32 tackles?

How many tackles is a halfback supposed to average :o

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score

:love::love:

Status
Not open for further replies.