Will Hopoate, Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeTsib

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First post on the forum :grinning:. Just joined today and I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not so please excuse me if it has. So I see a lot of people on FB and what not disappointed with Hopoate. I don't feel he is bad and now with wanting to play Sundays I personally don't have an issue with him. Is it because of his performance vs amount were paying, is it his play style in general, please give me an idea as to why people dislike him.

Cheers Guys :grinning:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is not a genuine fullback
He's a solid centre or winger

Can't win u a game off his own back like the other "rockstar" fullbacks

Ball playing is average at best and positional play non existent

I don't hate hoppa I hate the guy that's put hoppa out of position

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think most people agree he's a good, tough and reliable player who you want in your squad. He can play anywhere from 1-5 but most people don't love him at fullback because he lacks the speed and acceleration to excel there and scare teams.

Especially considering our halves and hooker offer no direction or threat to the defence. Add to that the fact Hoppa doesn't ball play much (again exacerbated by no halves or hooker) and that's why he's not rated as a fullback.

He's a good stop gap measure there who's best position is probably wing or centre. No one can ever question his effort when he does play though.

LeeTsib

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yeah the speed of him versus a Barba or Tedesco, definitely leaves a lot to be desired. He seems to be one of the only guys we have that can threaten the line though, more so than Mbye lmfao.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you'll find people weren't happy with the no Sunday clause

But since that's been negated no one really has a problem with him, he's a solid player but just not what we need at fullback, He lacks pace and because of this lack of pace can't run support for offloads

We were attacking with barba and Brett Morris 1st season with supporting fullbacks

LeeTsib

Waterboy
Reaction score
Anyone know how much he is getting paid? I'm curious as fuck :P

LeeTsib

Waterboy
Reaction score
Plus he's not the "rockstar fullback" we were promised all of these years. Until we get a fullback who has long blonde hair with leather pants and wears several earrings we won't be happy.
LMFAO!! :P

N

Natboy

Even stubborn arse Des couldn't rate him that highly or he wouldn't have tried to sign Tedesco for next year.
Hoppa was the back up plan.
We should send him down to the AIS all off season and hope he comes back with some more pace. He'll have all new neighbourhoods to door knock in too so I think he'd be keen

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you'll find people weren't happy with the no Sunday clause

But since that's been negated no one really has a problem with him, he's a solid player but just not what we need at fullback, He lacks pace and because of this lack of pace can't run support for offloads

We were attacking with barba and Brett Morris 1st season with supporting fullbacks
Yep pretty much this, my problem with him was always the sunday thing, now that is gone i have no problem with him in the team. Agree his best position is not FB but since the club can't buy and or develop another FB we ain't got much other choice for now.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand the Hate. He was playing average, then got injured, then came back playing great for a couple of rounds before playing his best game ever at the international level, then he cam back and played average for us. It seems like he's not passionate about the Bulldogs.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
All that said, when he plays average he is still solid in defence. He's just not providing much in attack.

Reactions: DT

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppas solid, but with a lack of talent in our spine we are crying out for a rockstar fullback+halfback+hooker

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My issue was his last contract was such a "all about me" contract. The no Sunday clause was a joke and it cost us in a semi final. I don't have an issue with him now though and he's on a more reasonable salary too.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This topic has been done to death only bettered by fk Des threads

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
- he isn't a superstar fullback
- he didn't play Sunday's, putting himself before the club which pissed everyone off given he is a paid professional.
- his family is a cancer

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Busted the game open to put bmoz in against st george, got around and targeted milne with success, i think he is no superstar, but consistant just the same ,would you guys rather damien ford or jamie corcoran?

Status
Not open for further replies.