Will Hopoate, Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Busted the game open to put bmoz in against st george, got around and targeted milne with success, i think he is no superstar, but consistant just the same ,would you guys rather damien ford or jamie corcoran?
Nick youngquest Wowzer

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lmfao , or nick youngquest, or maybe the best sort to play for the dogs.....
Paul doolan

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This sounds ridiculous but I think we could try him at 5/8. He has a better short kicking game than Mybe and has an ok footy brain and we move mybe to hooker to share with Lichaa.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard,not everyone dislikes Hopoate,as a matter of fact I think we have a very capable side,give this side to Paul green,Bellamy, or Bennett,and I think they would go very close,unfortunately we have des and that's what the problem is

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First post on the forum :grinning:. Just joined today and I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not so please excuse me if it has. So I see a lot of people on FB and what not disappointed with Hopoate. I don't feel he is bad and now with wanting to play Sundays I personally don't have an issue with him. Is it because of his performance vs amount were paying, is it his play style in general, please give me an idea as to why people dislike him.

Cheers Guys :grinning:
firstly welcome to the kennel.. secondly I hated the Sunday thing.. still not really over it... thirdly he's not a bad player , it's just he has no xfactor something this team lacks badly .. go through the most recent premiers and you'll see that they all had players that could bust a game wide open and single handily win a game.... some of those teams had several of those type of players... tell me which player in our current squad that can do that ?... probably kas and Reynolds who are both gone next year and weren't doing on a consistent basis anyway.. every purchase that is made should have the premiership in mind.. we are not assembling a team that can threaten for a title

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His pace is whats the most worrying, he looks like he's running in sand when trying to chase someone down.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think most people agree he's a good, tough and reliable player who you want in your squad. He can play anywhere from 1-5 but most people don't love him at fullback because he lacks the speed and acceleration to excel there and scare teams.

Especially considering our halves and hooker offer no direction or threat to the defence. Add to that the fact Hoppa doesn't ball play much (again exacerbated by no halves or hooker) and that's why he's not rated as a fullback.

He's a good stop gap measure there who's best position is probably wing or centre. No one can ever question his effort when he does play though.
Blame des - he is a centre

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm fine with hoppa at FB, but think he's a bit slow.
Sadly, it's unlikely we'll ever win a comp with this spine. I reckon 2 of the 4 spots need much better players.
Next year, I'd like to see:
1-hoppa
6-foran
7-frawley
9-mbye

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This sounds ridiculous but I think we could try him at 5/8. He has a better short kicking game than Mybe and has an ok footy brain and we move mybe to hooker to share with Lichaa.
I said Hoppa at 5/8 before so it's entirely not ridiculous lol. Na seriously, he could easily play 5/8 for us in attack and free up Moses to play at fb in attack.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I said Hoppa at 5/8 before so it's entirely not ridiculous lol. Na seriously, he could easily play 5/8 for us in attack and free up Moses to play at fb in attack.
I like your thinking there. I have seen hoppa force some repeat sets with ease over the last two seasons and can back up defend etc. He is just a little too slow at fb but solid.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A modern day fullback has speed, can ball play, break the line and can kick.

Hoppa is solid at fullback, but he misses a couple of things to be considered a genuine fullback in today's era.

Mind you, if he's our fb for the next few years I can live with that if we can find ourselves a quality #9 and 1 or 2 backs with blinding pace.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By the way, hate is a big word, I don't think anyone is putting hate on Hoppa, our main issue is that we haven't recruited a fullback to fill Barba's void from years ago..still waiting.

LeeTsib

Waterboy
Reaction score
You know the whole no Sunday thing was definitely insane to say the least. I mean, he picked a profession that works mostly weekends and takes 50% of the weekend off lmfao. You know, and without the risk of offending anyone, but God is omnipotent in every way the one thing that is proven though is he can't handle his finances, which is why we have to constantly donate to him. I do not understand why he wouldnt just play Sundays and donate his Sunday pay cheques to his God.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Just needs more explosive pace, offseason sprint work would help

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't hate him, I just found it stupid that he has Sunday's off, yet he played on Sunday's at Parramatta & Manly.

Yet when his contract was due, he abandoned the non Sunday's rule to re-sign.

So he basically gave up his 'morals' for money.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hated that he lacked the team spirit when he wasn't playing Sundays, but now that circumstance (probably looking unattractive to potential employers) made him decide to play Sundays I'm happy to have him here. My biggest issue with him now is that he's not explosive and his form in attack fluctuates. Can have a great fortnight followed by a very quiet couple of weeks. I still think he's the second best option for 1 behind B-Moz.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hoppa is a safe pair of hands. He's good at taking the high ball when he is under pressure with his back to the wall on his defensive line, and does the job.

I agree that Bmoz would be a more dangerous and explosive fullback than Hoppa. The problem is that Bmoz's body cannot withstand the added pressure that comes with the role. If we put him there, he is bound to get a knee or hip injury and we'll lose him for several months.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He's strong and reads the play well, safe but lacks pace bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.