The knife edge of adversity - will we rise or plummet deeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
What if now that the media and all the talking heads have blown up our inadequacies the true Bulldog spirit can rise?

Telling players they have no talent and skills - is this going to kill their confidence, or are they going to get angry, determined and practice hard, longer and fight for each other?

Telling Des he is a has been - that he has lost the dressing room - is he going to break a door and ignite the fire to succeed at all costs, or is he going to cut and run?

I can't imagine the coach, the players and the staff all not bonding together and saying, let's use this to get stronger guys - all for one and one for all!

I can't imagine because I am a true fan - perhaps too fanatical but that's okay. Time will tell a lot about how connected or disconnected we are to our DNA.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pre Des I'd be 100% confident we would belt the Broncos. To be fair it's not like we didn't have shockers before Des arrived but you knew the next week they would be switched on and win the next game.

I remember a cold and miserable Saturday night at the Showground in 2001 when a shocking Raiders team smashed us 32 nil we came out the next week and almost put 50 on the Knights at Newcastle who would eventually win the comp.

They might surprise us and rise but there's a lot more chance of us getting worse.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Pre Des I'd be 100% confident we would belt the Broncos. To be fair it's not like we didn't have shockers before Des arrived but you knew the next week they would be switched on and win the next game.

I remember a cold and miserable Saturday night at the Showground in 2001 when a shocking Raiders team smashed us 32 nil we came out the next week and almost put 50 on the Knights at Newcastle who would eventually win the comp.

They might surprise us and rise but there's a lot more chance of us getting worse.
This does seem like a new rock bottom though - getting thrashed by Manly - and the media have hit fever pitch with everyone's opinions about how hopeless we are.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This does seem like a new rock bottom though - getting thrashed by Manly - and the media have hit fever pitch with everyone's opinions about how hopeless we are.
I don't know how low they can go but if last weekends game didn't wake them up nothing will.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I really don't know. The team is near impossible to read at the moment.

People might remember the game I'm talking about here a year or two ago. We played the Storm.

I was like "yeah we are going to get drilled here". We came out a COMPLETELY different side, ambushed the Storm and won the game.

The players have the ability/skill, Des has the coaching knowhow, and yet we keep miss-firing.

About the only thing I can see (as an outsider) is that we lack direction on the field. But to fix that in a few days... impossible.

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer hasbeen stays the more damage will be done.

As soon as hasbeen has moved away from Belmore, the sooner we can start to rebuild and work our way up

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we will get the win against the Broncos. It won't mean that much though. I don't think Brisbane are going that well. A win against a good team that are flying is what's needed.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This week is not new, only to those catching up. The coach and players have been under a cloud for awhile yet none of what you mentioned above. Sure we hope so but surely we would have seen it by now? Problem with losing our identity is that we lose all those things you mentioned that previous doggies teams would do. I don't know that these guys have that.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This isn't an issue that popped up in the last month.

We have been playing the same since 2013. We haven't evolved and we haven't recruited the players to evolve.

As past players have said Des has passed his use by date with us.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't know. The team is near impossible to read at the moment.

People might remember the game I'm talking about here a year or two ago. We played the Storm.

I was like "yeah we are going to get drilled here". We came out a COMPLETELY different side, ambushed the Storm and won the game.

The players have the ability/skill, Des has the coaching knowhow, and yet we keep miss-firing.

About the only thing I can see (as an outsider) is that we lack direction on the field. But to fix that in a few days... impossible.
Do you really think so?
I have less confidence in this group of players than any Canterbury team with the exception of 2008.

I actually think a lot of the players don't have the ability or the skill required.

Ultimately that is Des responsibility I guess.
However I personally feel has been badly let down by his players.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never hope for a bulldogs loss but one final bit of pain should be the nail in the coffin broncos by 20+

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a time when I would have been excited about how we'd play after a big loss. Now, I know the result already - it's just the margin of the loss I'm uncertain about.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The whole "backs to the wall" thing, only works when the players give a fuck.
Sadly, ours do not.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
it'll just be the same ol shit. if they are "let loose", graham, klemmer and reynolds will do something idiotic and get suspended for 6 months. if theyre shackled then theyd just be puncy plodders. theres no controlled aggression ala shrek (*tear rolls down eye). no one fears us anymore sadly.

but having said that, i do believe one day we will become that great force again. it may just take a while. its inevitable - its in our walls - its in our DNA.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Based on what Milford is going through in regards to being a lazy trainer, i honestly believe he will run riot on our asses if our forwards dont fire this week and can see Broncos running up a cricket score on us.

This game against the Broncos will be the litmus test on how the players react to what has been happening in the papers and social media. Some players who secretly hate Des could use this opportunity to sabotage our run just so Hasler gets fired.

Once upon a time i would have been confident we would bounce back and use adversity to get on top, but this team doesn't have that culture and winning attitude about them like dogs of old

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I think we will get the win against the Broncos. It won't mean that much though. I don't think Brisbane are going that well. A win against a good team that are flying is what's needed.
i agree. The odd win to keep the heat off is the worst outcome - I would rather we fall hard to jolt us out of this average mental attitude. Have we fallen hard enough - I would like to think so - 36 - 0 is humiliating.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Once upon a time i would have been confident we would bounce back and use adversity to get on top said:
and this has become what we are aware of - everyone has started to pay attention to the attitude - the missing mongrel element. It is going to be a very interesting game this Thursday.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just don't understand why it takes a belting in the media to get these guys playing top footy and with a good attitude. This is their fucking job!!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The whole "backs to the wall" thing, only works when the players give a fuck.
Sadly, ours do not.
I hope you are wrong! I believe that pushed into confronting their bad attitude might make them realise this is not who they want to be. Surely you play to win with pride - it can't be about treating it like a fat contract to cruise through. Surely no one wants to destroy their reputation. I think it is low confidence. They overthink - their passes are so consistently bad, you can tall they worry too much about making mistakes.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I've never hope for a bulldogs loss but one final bit of pain should be the nail in the coffin broncos by 20+
I do see your logic - it is a bitter sweet situation we in - I want us to flog them or be flogged - we need drastic change. Not some grinding performance to just lose or just get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.